Seller buying their own Products

I know this is probably a dead end, but just curious about how other sellers deal with this.

There is a seller in our category that we suspect has started to buy their own products to boost their search rank. They are selling items in a really crowded market and suddenly have basically their whole range on page one for search results.

On top of this, every night a second seller will appear on their listings for an hour or so, selling at a discount price, and then disappear until the same time the next day. We believe they are running this second account for the sole purpose of buying their own stock.

The seller then starts posting fake reviews for new products, always using buyer accounts with no review histories. The frustrating thing is amazon will acknowledge they are fake, and remove them, but then the seller is simply allowed to repeat the process without repercussions.

I have written repeatedly to amazon regarding this, but they are allowed to continue to use these tactics and are severely effecting our sales, plus the sales of every other merchant in the category.

Does Amazon ever take action against these sellers? Is there something more i can be doing to point this out as a violation? The market place seems to be completely over run with these types of sellers.

As long as all you have are suspicions, there is nothing much to be done.

Amazon is watching, even if you don’t think they are. But they need to gather actual evidence.

It’s against the rules to buy your own merchandise.

To say nothing of expensive. Amazon is going to keep 15% of whatever he’s paying himself,If he’s doing this often enough to affect his search rank, that’s going to run into real money soon enough.

If he really is doing this, he must be in a bad spot to have to resort to it — which in turns means that he’s most likely throwing good money after bad.

> I have written repeatedly to amazon regarding this, but they are allowed to continue to use these tactics and are severely effecting our sales, plus the sales of every other merchant in the category.
>
> Does Amazon ever take action against these sellers? Is there something more i can be doing to point this out as a violation? The market place seems to be completely over run with these types of sellers.

I certainly understand your frustration. We have been going through this since May with one particular seller whom, as of today, now has four seller accounts. We have proven over and over with test buys, photos, address verification checks, that this is the same individual, but no one pays attention. I’ve joked that I can tell you how many times they’ve remortgaged their condo (and I can), but NOTHING we reported has ever held.

We have done everything “by the book”, yet he keeps coming back again and again.

They even have the audacity to use their first initial and their full last name in their reviews - usually the very first review on their profiles.

Yes, the marketplace is overrun with this type of seller and as you so correctly point out, it is hurting every seller whose listings they are on.

Desperate yes, but it appears to be quite common in our category and within various amazon markets. Looking at the quality of images and products that always manage to somehow get to the top of the rankings, and then are accompanied by what are clearly fabricated reviews, it appears that something is not quite right with a large number of these listings.
The products are not unique, high quality, or amazon fulfilled, yet they somehow shoot to the top of the rankings, often pre-release. We are completely baffled by how these patterns could be naturally occurring

closed #7