I can't sell a DVD?

Since I’m not a “professional seller” I must first ask permission from Amazon to sell a new, once viewed DVD that I purchased, owned, and am now ready to sell? If this is the case then forget you Amazon, I’ll go to eBay.

Edited by: SusanH@SellerSupport on Feb 21, 2017 3:46 PM
removed profanity

Sounds like you understand the situation.

First and foremost any item that is not sealed and sourced from the manufacturer or an authorized distributor is not a new item according to amazon. This will quickly get you hit with in-authentic claims and banned from amazon anyway.

If that is going to be your business model you might as well go to Ebay but even there you will only last so long selling items that are USED as new.

Edited by: D-N-R on Feb 21, 2017 12:20 PM

we are pro sellers but still can’t sell dvds with msrp over $25 (even old ones where actual prices are much less). So don’t run out and upgrade just to sell DVDs

Edited by: davidsbook on Feb 21, 2017 11:37 AM

First you have to become a professional seller, then get approved to sell DVD’s by submitting invoices from distributors.

"new/once viewed DVD " - not the same thing.

Looks as if OP’s business model is to sell their own personal used stuff.

Ebay is where they belong.

don’t let the door …

Welcome to the big leagues. There are so many fake issues on Amazon that they gated DVDs. They did this to ensure their customers get authentic product.

The system is working as designed.

The fake issue is a huge one.

A pro seller pays$40/month and gets to do bulk uploads, change shipping rates and some other stuff.

You have to be a pro seller to even apply for DVDs but being pro is no guarantee you’ll be ungated.

There are new media fees going into effect on March 1. It will affect your inventory if you are a media seller.

Lmao! Yep, I guess I do.

Alright I guess I’m a newbie. I’ve been selling on Amazon for several years with no problems. Now I must be a “professional seller” to sell DVD’s? What the hell is a professional seller? As opposed to an amateur seller? I post what I have and people buy them; that’s all I do, that’s all I know. And where would I get an invoice from a distributor when the item was purchased at Walmart or the local Dollar Store? Do they want a receipt? I don’t get it.

Oh no, not I. In fact just the opposite. I’m considering leaving Amazon altogether if they are going to be this expletive deleted about it. I understand where they’re coming from in attempting to prevent the spread of illegal copies, but why make me jump through hoops? Let them take the product, examine it, and if it is legal pass it on. Nah, too much like work. Never mind. I’ll take my business elsewhere. Amazon may be the biggest player in this game but they’re not the only one.

You are correct. I meant that it was new as I purchased it, watched it once, now it is slightly used and I am attempting to sell it to someone who may want it.

My mistake in grammar. The DVD was new as I purchased it. I removed the wrapping, making it easier to insert into the player, watched it once then tried to sell the slightly used though no longer “new” DVD to whomever may want it. And I never sell used items as new. My business model is to tell the truth about anything I sell and to sell it at a price equal to or lower than others posted. I am not a professional seller but just clearing out my personal inventory. I’ve sold many books and CD’s on Amazon with no problems. All of my items I describe in detail so potential buyers know what they’re getting.

Why would you say that? Yes I am selling my own personal stuff. I am not a professional seller though I have sold quite a few items on Amazon over the years. eBay is but one of several sites that, like Amazon, allow people to pass on items they no longer have need of so others may enjoy them and earn a bit of cash along the way. My primary sales are books and CD’s. Though CD’s are probably on the list of suspect items now as well.

There are two basic “selling plans” - Individual, and Professional. More information can be found in the [Participation Agreement (link, Customer Help Content)|https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161302] you signed.

> And where would I get an invoice from a distributor when the item was purchased at Walmart or the local Dollar Store? Do they want a receipt? I don’t get it.

That’s the point you’ve run afoul of - this practice of purchasing in non-wholesale lots from retailers is what’s known as ‘Retail Arbitrage’, which has always had restrictions on Amazon, and is now becoming even more restricted due to the headaches RA imposes on Amazon when used by ‘casual’ sellers.

Amazon no longer wants goods purchased via retail channels on their sites, they want people & companies who are in and of themselves retailers - and whether that entity has signed up for a Professional or Individual Selling Plan, they want all to operate professionally, and abide by professional standards. As others have mentioned, there are venues better suited for what you’re trying to move. As a well-respected forum regular recently opined, “If The River gets too rocky, you can opt for the calmer bay.”

First lesson on Amazon, NEW, still sealed or never opened.

Your ONCE VIEWED is not new, it is either very good or good and also it is NOT like new.

Lesson two, Amazon is a might large dangerous river but there is a “bay” you can go to and sell that USED once viewed DVD.

Yes, Amazon will hire an immense workforce of DVD inspectors qualified to examine every single DVD that every single 3P seller wants to sell. Sounds like a plan.

Seriously, plenty of us smaller sellers who can’t satisfy the new DVD requirements have simply listed them elsewhere. Not sure what all the drama is about in this thread.