Amazon Suspends Many Inbound Shipments for FBA Sellers Through April 5

Google the title. It will bring you to a Sellercafe article.
Is this real?
The seller Cafe site is the only page I see this listed on and have recieved no notifications from Amazon via email or Seller Central.

Article below.

" Amazon just made a dramatic announcement with no warning in the seller help section that will impact many sellers of products.

Here is the full announcement:

We are closely monitoring the developments of COVID-19 and its impact on our customers, selling partners, and employees.

We are seeing increased online shopping, and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock. With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers.

For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors.

This will be in effect today through April 5, 2020, and we will let you know once we resume regular operations. Shipments created before today will be received at fulfillment centers.

You can learn more about this on this Help page 57. Please note that Selling Partner Support does not have further guidance.

We understand this is a change to your business, and we did not take this decision lightly. We are working around the clock to increase capacity and yesterday announced 12 that we are opening 100,000 new full- and part-time positions in our fulfillment centers across the US.

We appreciate your understanding as we prioritize the above products for our customers.

Thank you for your patience, and for participating in FBA."

Amazon to hire 100,000 employees, amid coronavirus shoppping surge

Yeh it is real, and after trying to get a shipment in by the deadline competing with 10 million Chinese sellers to create a shipment you end up getting this:

Inbound Performance Alert – Shipment. Your shipment abilities have been temporarily suspended because of repeated problems. You can reinstate your ability to create or modify shipments only after reviewing and acknowledging the problem(s).

Up until about 20 minutes ago I had no notification in Seller Central, now it’s there.
Oh well, time focus on other areas of the business.

It’s real, and smart on Amazon’s part.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help.html?itemID=GF37V7QBB8WSVF43&ref=nslp_at_4179343325024604288_nslnk_1_GF37V7QBB8WSVF43&

Please note Selling Partner Support does not have further guidance.

AKA, do not open tickets asking why, or but I need an exemption. They aren’t granting any. This order is coming from the top and can not be bypassed.

This is smart on Amazon’s part?

They just damaged the businesses of hundreds of thousands of sellers.

I will be banned from the forums for writing what I really think of all this.

I’m not sure I see how this is smart. The number of sellers providing these kinds of goods didnt suddenly go up in the last few weeks if we assume that you need to have an established business in these fields to be able to have distributor/manufacturer contracts. And, if there are indeed some shortages (manufacturers can only produce so fast), it will take a bit before the number each existing seller sends to FBA grows to such an amount that would require blocking EVERY SINGLE OTHER CATEGORY. This is even assuming all the authorized sellers of those products even use FBA as opposed to FBM.

It just seems like a huge overreaction, especially when you consider they are hiring 100k people? You’re telling me that theres enough supply out there to keep all existing fulfillment centers/warehouses busy + an additional 100k people? No way. And even after that, there’s only so much toilet paper/cleaning solution that one household needs anyway. The only thing you can argue will see a drastic and sustained uptick is food. And, again, don’t think the # of sellers allowed to sell food will suddenly go up.

Amazon warehouses are not 100% run by robots, there are humans involved, and right now, LIMITED humans. Amazon is focusing resources on that items are needed first. You see it as stupid and bad, I don’t.

Sorry

You cant possibly know better than Amazon, they have all numbers and data.

Remember the ad circulating the internet these past few months?:

“Amazon CEO Says Amazon Will Fail One Day”…

Now it seems like a dire warning that’s coming true. Amazon has suspended sellers for price gouging and has gated categories causing a temporary scarcity. Now it seems like China is back in business to supply all needed COVID-19 goods.

Fulfilled by Merchant FBM sellers should do well online as long as they don’t sell COVID-19 related goods. As long as delivery services other than Amazon fulfillment are still open for business that is.

I strongly suggest that Amazon suspend all monthly subscription fees for FBA sellers until inbound shipments are again being received and processed.

I got a shipment out this morning, but it was created and approved last night. Who knows if or when it will be received.

I’m pretty sure people are more interested in buying things they need (what Amazon is currently out of) and less interested in buying whatever widgets everyone else is selling. I know personally I am not going to spend money on non essential items right now because I am not sure what my cash flow is going to be for the foreseeable future. So, while I understand this is people’s main income source and will inhibit growth, Amazon is doing what is best for them. Makes sense to me. We are FBM, but no one is buying our stuff (sports footwear) and we may be in the same boat, but it will all bounce back.

There are no monthly subscription fees for FBA.

Do you not pay a monthly fee in order to sell on Amazon. I do. $39.99 - to be a professional seller. Is that not a monthly subscription fee? I apologize if I got the name of it wrong.

Yes it is a subscription fee but it has nothing to do with FBA. FBA does not require a pro account.

I didn’t suggest it did have anything to do with FBA. I suggested that that particular fee should be waived for all FBA sellers (who have that kind of account) since shipments have been suspended. I think that any other monthly fees should be suspended for FBA sellers until shipments are again being received.

I don’t mean to argue semantics. I want Amazon to give FBA sellers a break since they have suspended shipments.

I understand what you are saying but the fee is not related to FBA.

There is no FBA kind of account. All sellers can sell FBA, FBM or both.

If you don’t want to pay it while they are not accepting shipments, downgrade your account to individual.

OTOH, those with Amazon loans that rely on FBA for volume could be in trouble…

and i know one person that lost their job this morning over this…small vacuum cleaner repair/sales shop…

Wonder if Amazon will have free removals/disposals to make more space soon…

My skus are listed as both FBM and FBA, that’s the way to go!!

Diversify and don’t use one avenue of sales…anyone who does is taking a big risk. Live and learn and move on. Being FBM has it’s benefits also like your own return quality control, s/h standards and not being dependent upon Amazon totally. FBA people will get through it albeit some hardship involved. As far as having a life, I have a great one and only wish everyone the same.