NEW SELLER CHECKLIST
The wisest way to start selling, is to choose products or a line, from well-known manufacturers or even a single product, that you are personally familiar with, have used and know just about everything there is to know about, the products you are considering selling.
If you have a particular manufacturer in mind, contact the manufacturer, before you start purchasing inventory, to find out f there are any requirements or restrictions in selling a particular brand on Amazon. Ask how to open an account with them and ask what their minimum requirement is for an order.
After you have received an OK from the manufacturer to list their products, find out (before purchasing inventory), if Amazon will allow you, as a new seller, to list the products.
Many brands and products are in restricted categories or require approval:
Categories and products requiring approval
Some brands, require a one-time fee, up to $5,000, prior to listing:
Latest list of pay to play/restricted brands (and it’s growing daily)
Read what you agreed to, when you signed up:
Amazon Services Business Solutions Agreement
Thoroughly read and understand:
Prohibited seller activities and actions
Make sure to choose a Selling Plan that is appropriate for you:
Professional Selling Plan or Individual Selling Plan
Most importantly, watch the videos and read the .pdf files in:
If you want to get paid, make sure you are using a valid credit card:
If you have received an error message about your credit card, it is important to update your credit card information as soon as possible.
Common reasons for receiving an error include:
- An invalid expiration date
- Incorrect contact information, such as name, address, or ZIP code (all information entered must be an exact match with your card details)
- Bank limits or policies that prevent the charge attempt from being authorized
- Using a pre-paid or debit card, which are not accepted credit cards for a selling account.
Until the card verification problem is resolved, Amazon won’t be able to process any payments for your account.
The simplest rule of thumb for selling on Amazon is, “When in doubt, DON’T” or come back to these forums to ask your questions here, before, jumping in headlong.
N.B.: Please understand, Amazon Seller-Support reps, are limited in their knowledge, of many questions sellers may have.
Many sellers do not understand, their are numerous Seller-Support departments, within Amazon. General Seller-Support, has been known to give erroneous information, to sellers, some of that “advice”, even leading to the suspension of sellers.
One of the most grievous and erroneous bits of information, Seller-Support, has been know to give, is advising sellers, to open a new seller account, when an existing seller account is already open. (This applies, even if you opened an account 10 years ago and never used it.)
Amazon Seller Accounts, are limited to a SINGLE account, per lifetime and a SINGLE account per household, except in certain circumstances, as per the following:
Multiple seller accounts:
Operating and maintaining multiple Seller Central accounts is prohibited. If you have a legitimate business need for a second account, you can apply for an exception to this policy:
- Go to Contact us.
- Click Selling on Amazon, then select Your account, then select Other account issues.
In your request, please provide an explanation of the legitimate business need for a second account. To be considered for approval:
- You must have a separate bank account for each Seller Central account. We will not approve multiple Seller Central accounts that use the same bank account within the same region. If you sell across regions (for example in North America and Europe), you may use the same bank account for your Seller Central accounts as long as your accounts are linked though Amazon Global Selling.
- Each account must have a separate email address.
- The products and services sold in each account must be different.
- Your Performance Metrics must be in good standing.
We will respond to your request within 2 to 3 business days.
Failure to comply with these requirements may result in account termination.
Please understand, the above is only a small part of selling on Amazon. It is not like any other marketplace platform.