Water filter new requirements, Bots gone wild?

below is copy of email received from Amazon.
Amazon recently added a general listing restriction for refrigerator water filters. All refrigerator water filters listed on Amazon.com must be certified to at least the NSF/ANSI-42 standard (including Material Safety, Structural Integrity, and System Performance) or higher standards such as NSF/ANSI-53 and NSF/ANSI-401, as determined by an independent laboratory accredited by the American National Standards Institute (such as NSF, WQA, and IAMPO). For more information, see NSF Guidance on Residential Drinking Water Treatment Standards (http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/residential-water-treatment/residential-drinking-water-treatment-standards).

Our records show that you offer refrigerator water filters. If your products are fully certified to NSF/ANSI-42 Standards or higher, please send the following information below for each refrigerator water filter ASIN to homeimprovementcontact@amazon.com:

1. ASIN
  2. Water filter brand
  3. Water filter manufacturer
  4. Model number
  5. Certification standard (e.g. NSF 42, 53, 401)
  6. Certification agency (e.g. NSF, WQA, IAMPO)

Based on the information, we will verify if your product is certified. If this information is not provided, we will suppress your listings in 30 days. If your listings are suppressed, they will not be visible to buyers. If your suppressed listings are Fulfilled by Amazon, the products may be destroyed or returned to you at your expense.

You have thirty days to provide the required information to us. By May 10, 2017, if we have not received the above required information, we will suppress your refrigerator water filter listings along with all other non-compliant water filters.

We appreciate your cooperation and thank you for selling on amazon.com.

I don’t sell refrigerator water filters and have never listed or sold a refrigerator water filter. What I’m wondering is- after May 10th am I going to have to spend hours trying to convince Amazon that The water valves, dryer filters etc that I have are NOT refrigerator water filters??

You might want to go through your listings and see if any are inadvertently listed in the wrong category.

So, interestingly, yesterday I spent almost an hour on Amazon and the 'bay trying to find a legit OEM water filter for my Maytag fridge. I had to sort though uncounted knockoffs and Chinese counterfeits to (hopefully) find the real deal. That transaction should have taken less than five minutes from search to completing checkout.
So I completely support Amazon in their efforts to weed out bogus products and the unethical scumbags who sell them. It’s impacted parts of my business too, but we will all be better off for it in the long run

How will it help anyone if Amazon is restricting people who sell water valves and dryer filters, which have nothing to do with fridge filters at all?

I think this is just another case of Amazon Bots Gone Wild, as the OP postulates. And unfortunately, it’s probably going to take some work to get it straightened out.

closed #5