Has anyone heard of bookjacking?

This is a link I came across and I have seen these types of listings on Amazon.

http://www.zubalbooks.com/article-bookjacking.jsp

LOL!

Here we call it “drop shipping” and I don’t think they deserve a different name just because they drop ship books…
And there is nothing wrong with drop shipping if you know how to do it right.

The term “bookjacking” does not evoke a pretty picture in my mind. But what the article discusses is also known as spidering, and it’s been around for a while. In fact, that list of spider sellers in the article is kind of outdated (some seller names have changed, and actually, at least one is misspelled).

Read below for more information than you probably wanted to know about this practice – specifically how it is accomplished by one of the most successful (?) and notorious spiders/dropshippers, -Daily Deals-. This is from a previous post of mine on another thread:

For more information on how -Daily Deals- operates, please read the below response by “Rice Crispy” on April 3, 2014, from the article linked below (a response which I’ve pasted below and split into multiple paragraphs for your reading pleasure). It is spot-on based on my experience and what I’ve read on other forums and blogs, including someone recalling that -Daily Deals- disappeared from selling on Amazon for a day or so the same time that there was a large internet outage in India:

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/february062014/daily-ripoff-bo-tk.php

+What you don’t realise it that “Daily Deals” on Amazon has no physical inventory whatsoever, none; they are what the industry characterizes as a spider bookseller. They rely on uninformed consumers to purchase their higher priced books, which they in turn buy from another seller, pocketing the (often huge) difference. It is not very sophisticated in this sense, though the algorithms and computer programs they utilize are.+

+Bottom line: Amazon will not do anything about it because they are making two commissions on the the sale of one book. How? Customer A buys a “new” book from Daily Deals, and Amazon charges DD a commission for this sale; Daily Deals then buys a beat up used book from an actual seller (pocketing the huge difference of course, which is the game they play and their sole business model), and Amazon of course then charges another commission for the sale of this second book sale. One book, two commissions. It is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.+

+Keep digging, there is a lot to this story, including the off shore Western Asians involved in this. No they aren’t located in Washington, try India. Ask me how I know.+

I would also suggest reading the following. Make sure to click on “Load more” at the bottom to view the latest posts.

Edited by: Hit the Books on Apr 23, 2015 4:55 AM

I posted that link once but not at main thread.

It’s more like “list-jacking” … if they get a sale, they actually pay for the book, and in most cases there are no returns/refunds.

OMgosh, recognized some forum posters on that list. Choco-bacon and I are not among them ;]

It’s just a new name for an old problem. Drop shippers, Megalisters, Spiders they are all the same and I agree with the article they are a problem. Quite often when a customer buys from them they end up getting an item of lesser quality than what they paid for. They are bad for Amazon and for all of the honest sellers on it. I have never understood why Amazon allows it.

I was not trying to offend anyone, I just came across it and found it to be interesting. I appreciate the replies, makes a little more sense now.

I don’t do books, not on Amazon :slight_smile:

closed #9