Action required for radio frequency device listings on Amazon.com

this just n

Radio receivers that use Superheterodyne receiver emit RF at a level that can detected from a distance. Almost anything with a coil or inductor will emit RF.
I suspect this rule will play havoc with a lot of STEM/Educational kits if they are partially assemble or use modules.

Nearly everything these days emits some kind of RF. Absolutely anything that is, broadly, electronic or electrical, will emit RF. That’s nature. But these days they even put RFID tags in clothing, cereal boxes, and what not. Be prepared not be able to sell ANYTHING in the not so distant future.

They ARE. Does it have a power source? Is electrical current flowing? It will emit RF.

This is true, a coil of copper or aluminum wire or even a cup of salt water emits negligible RF. The issue is at what levels and frequency. Compliant RFID tags do not emit enough to warrant regulation. However, your iPhone/Android smart phone’s RFID reader/writer does and is regulated. If your product uses electricity or has coils/magnets you should do a little research to determine if it is regulated.

You can make a crude RF detector using a nine volt battery, a piece of copper wire, a glass tube, a toothpick, and a voltmeter, and duct tape (if you want to MacGuyver it). Or if you have more money than time and duct tape,

BlueQ and green-vogon seem very knowledgeble for electronics.

The Amazon news article refers us to: " FCC guidance on what is considered a radio frequency device can be found on the Equipment Authorization – RF Device page on the FCC website."

I have read the FCC.gov link but I do not understant what the FCC means or Amazon wants. Does this mean that

Class A are what Amazon is requiring: “* Provide evidence of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) authorization – either an FCC certification number or contact information for the Responsible Party, as defined by the FCC.” Will the manufacturer provide the FCC Certification number if requested?

but maybe Class B applies to the second bullet item?: * Certify that the product is exempt from FCC requirements." Who does the certifying?

My product is a Bose Wave Music System and Bose Wave Soundtouch Music System with WiFi, which is a AM/FM Clock Radio and CD player. The manuals say, “this equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC rules.”

In conclusion for the Bose that complies with FCC regulations within the limits for Class B,

Does the Manufacture have to certify this in the Amazon listing.

Or does Amazon mean that the third party seller can certify that the product is exempt from FCC Requirements? Since the Bose Manufacture does not sell on Amazon, they will have no interest in cerfitying current and discontinued models.

You correctly identified the class. Now you are required to submit the certification to Amazon. You must request the certification from your Supplier (Technically, you should be able to identify the FCC ID and just enter it but you don’t seem to have that).

You’d all better buy your faraday cages, your 5G-blocking hats, and your RFID-blocking wallets before this takes effect at the end of the month!

There are literally thousands of these for sale on Amazon, and if you wrap your cell phone inside of one and then call it from another phone…

oh wait, it still rings.

Did you know that the earth’s poles and earth’s rotation generate radio frequencies?

Just saying…

So to clarify, does the first bullet item apply for the Class B tested item and I just need to obtain the FCC certification number from my Supplier or the Manufacturer?

I found the FCC website https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm but a search of relevant dates within the 160 products, did not find the correct manufacturer’s product.

Where do I enter the number, as I do not see any category for Radio Frequency in the Product Edit tabs Compliance or More Details?

Thank you.

The answer is simple…
A reputable manufacturer get the certification when they launch the items.
A manufacturer who wants to export to USA without the certification…probabely we should not deal with them.
If the item does not have to be certified…get form 740 filled out.

That is how I read it, although the FCC ID should be stamped on the device (or possibly digitally if it has a screen).

got the word from the horses :horse: mouth end the month a attribute will be added

That’s great news. many electronic merchandise on Amazon have fake FCC and CE stamps on the products without any certification. I was thinking if I was stupid to spend $1000 and time to get a device lab tested and FCC certified. I hope Amazon starts taking down the fake FCC labeler.

The problem is that many importers/manufacturers do not even have an Amazon account. Are you seriously suggesting that it’s their responsibity to continualy keep up to date with ALL the retail outlets where their products are sold and then provide documents to those outlets?

As with ANY product, the onus is on the retailer to obtain safety documents from the manufacturer/importer and then supply those documents to whoever asks for them.

No, I do not expect anyone to contact Amazon. To me, the solution to this isn’t anything having to do with Amazon. It is to create a national database of all imported and/or manufactured products after say six months that the manufacturer or importer is required to provide documentation ONCE to the federally run database and then anyone can access those records and retailers do not have to be on the hook for any paperwork or recordkeeping burden. This would reduce the burden on EVERYONE while also doing a better job of actually dealing with the problem.

Amazon just created a boom market in counterfeit FCC certifications for all of the Chinese electronics manufacturers listed on here.

An importer must have the certificate. or file form FCC 704, and fill box 2…
They don’t have to have accounts with amazon.
They have to provide it to the seller on amazon.
Not too complicated.

If a seller suspects thart the certificate is fake, he should do the following:

1. Ask for the lab test documantation.
  2. Log to the lab website to verify all details.
  3. If still not convinced, check with FCC to verify that the id was indeed issued by certified FCC lab.

FCC approval/registration isn’t needed for everything and that is the problem here. SDoC (Self Declaration of Conformity) is all the government requires for many things and no registration is needed. That statement, without the presence of an FCC ID, indicates that this is an SDoC item not needing an ID. SDoC only requires that you as the manufacturer state that you have tested the items to comply with gov’t regulations. The government doesn’t need to see any test documents for that and they don’t need to be tested in a certified lab either.

Thus the issue is… will amazon be asking for those test results proving that NO registration is needed? Something that the government doesn’t even need? That may be hard to get for a lot of things since those test results are not usually released for SDoC items.