user profile
Sign in
user profile

USPS scans packages, but scans not recorded

by Seller_N3I2opyeGEBu7

I’ve been noticing something really strange at multiple post offices recently.

I watch the post office scan every single package, but then a lot of these “USPS in possession of item” scans don’t actually get recorded.
I mean even days after the post office scans the packages, the first scans don’t show up when I track.

Anyone else noticed this?

Tags: USPS
13 replies
13 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd
In reply to: Seller_N3I2opyeGEBu7's post

Ours look normal. Accepted February 6, 2019 at 2:26 pm USPS picked up item

Or a last minute that we dropped off at a CPU Accepted February 6, 2019 at 4:50 pm USPS in possession of item

user profile
Seller_L1hmX68kczMmr

It happened to me also.They would show up as delivered few days latter,without any tracking info in between.Some would not show anything,but when I’ve contacted the buyers they would usually confirmed the delivery.Now I wait for confirmation scan when I drop the packages.

user profile
Seller_pG6OyvEvGSrFS

We used to see this with our local post office. Even if we got a scan receipt at the counter, this would not show up online. What we would see online later that evening or in the wee hours of the next morning was an acceptance scan at the local USPS Origin Facility at, perhaps, midnight or 3am. Nowadays, our online tracking records do show the initial acceptance scan at the local post office that took place earlier in the evening.

I’m sure your area post offices will get updated soon enough. You can always ask your local postmaster.

user profile
Seller_Ampd6ytqPXSM1

This has been going on long time-your just noticing now-everytime i sell an item on amazon i have to worry if other the post office/Amazon/or the customer is going to screw me somehow!!!

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

Yes, this happens to us as well. Seems like the computer system is either down at the local branch, they failed to run an end of day batch or some network error. Or maybe the USPS tracking system is so bogged down with scanning in ePackets from China they don’t have the capacity to serve their domestic customers that pay 2+ times the cost for shipping a similar item…

user profile
Seller_qyC6doIzSrwXc

Its the locations not putting the data from those scanners in. I have the issue at my post office i send packages at, so i always record every package now. Sometimes they dont finish the scan, sometimes they dont upload the scan data at the end.

user profile
Seller_LXaCvQWDV6Zek

Same experience for us… Often packages show the first scan in the middle of the night; Not really sure what thats about maybe when the batch is uploaded or something (not always the case though, some show properly). Then there are ones that just don’t track at all but like the other comment, then they just arrive… Definitely makes us nervous but those happen infrequently. Int’l is the weirdest one… those often vanish after the last domestic scan for a month or more; Sometimes thats it… nothing ever again! Other times, they just start tracking again 5 weeks later! (Happens more w/ebay stuff & for those its a real problem because despite perfect metrics, same day shipping, ebay will refund the customer… (some customers contact us saying ‘it finally arrived’ how should I pay !!) More often, though, the pkg will eventually come back to us a looong time after… but it still counts as a defect which is pretty unfair because that is out of our control & we already are out the shipping cost & certainly the amount of the sale. On the vanishing ones that never reappear, usually the last scan is Jamaica NY. We joke about it being the Jamaica NY Triangle!!

user profile
Seller_9qLEQUUF9zlPH

USPS scans using the handheld scanners must be manually uploaded to the main computer. It’s not uncommon for postal carriers and clerks to forget to upload the scans. I’ve gone round and round with my postmaster over this. His suggestion was to make sure the clerk uses the scanner attached to the postal scales and not one of the handheld scanners. I’ve seen packages leave the post office and get scanned 100 miles away before my mail carrier got around to uploading the previous day’s scans. I now take all packages to the post office and watch them being scanned at the counter. Haven’t had a problem since.

It also depends on how busy your post office is. The “USPS in possession” is the initial scan done at the counter. The post office is also supposed to scan each package before it leaves on the outgoing truck. Most post offices are too busy (ie under staffed) to scan every package before it goes out.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

Our carrier scans at pickup. We can usually see it within an hour. No, I do not babysit the tracking. But I’ve been curious a few times. By the way we had to prove to my FedEx guy that it shows up within about 30 mins, he thought it was end of day so he wasn’t worried about it.

user profile
Seller_X78MhwM0Prc7l

Our letter carrier uses a wireless hand scanner, which uploads right away. Our local post offices uses a different wired scanner, and that never uploads right away. 24 hours is typical, but sometimes longer, even though they give me a printed receipt. I don’t understand, but I am grudgingly used to it.

Go to original post