user profile
Sign in
user profile

Customer Request USPS hold package - Wants refund

by Seller_JFkWpRHAQHxLH

USPS tracking says my customer requested the item I ship be held at the post office. Now they are wanting a refund claiming none delivery. Customer will not release package back to me. They are threatening to get Amazon involved. What to do?

Tags: Customer, Refunds
63 replies
63 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl
In reply to: Seller_JFkWpRHAQHxLH's post

Get the number for the post office at that zip and talk to them – explain the situation and see if they will route the package back to you.

If you purchased shipping through Amazon you will be protected against an A to Z claim for non-delivery (at least that is the published policy – you sometimes have to make them follow policy by appealing).

user profile
Seller_OBdaXqVdfOPb7

This must be one of the newest scams making the circuit. I’ve seen it spoken about several times recently. A scan of “attempted” by the USPS in the case of held mail should stop this nonsense.

Make them get Amazon involved. I would even take it a step further and help them out by getting Amazon involved myself if I were in your shoes.

It’s been our experience that when people make “threats” (different thread) to involve Amazon rather than simply involving Amazon, they’re fishing for something.

user profile
Seller_WQj6Zg0jH6DBA

Respond … Tracking status shows your package is available for pickup @ your local post office. Please arrange to pick-up the package or refuse delivery so that it can be returned for refund.

If the item is returned, a refund will be issued within 24 hours of receipt.

user profile
Seller_R1YAVrsw1i63k

File mail fraud charges with USPS on-line against the buyer.
Contact Amazon, and report the buyer.
Keep any communication on Amazon so they can see it.

If you want, you can send a simple

“I can gladly issue you a refund.
I see on USPS.COM that you requested the item to be held at the post office.
Once that package is returned to me, I will gladly issue your refund.
I have already communicated with Amazon and let them know you wanted to send the item back.
Please feel free to get a pre-paid return shipping label per Amazon policy and send it back.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email any time.”

By giving detail and being polite, it shows you’re willing to accept a return if the buyer sends the item back.

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

I would provide the timeline of events below to Amazon, the USPS Postal Inspector (if applicable) and the buyer’s local police department.

1. Buyer orders product through Amazon.
  2. Buyer requests package be held at post office.
  3. Buyer uses hold at post office as means to claim non-delivery.
  4. Buyer threatens harmful action that can impact my Amazon metrics/seller rating in an effort to defraud me out of merchandise.

If you do contact the buyer’s local police department, ask to speak to a detective. You may get lucky and be able to file a report online. Regardless, document the detective’s name and any police report number and include that in the case you open with Amazon and the complaint you file with the USPS Postal Inspector.

Since it is clear your buyer is attempting to defraud you out of product, I see no reason to communicate with him/her much more. After you contacted Amazon and the authorities, then I would respond to the buyer that he/she initiated the hold at the post office and they can pickup the package.

Unfortunately Amazon’s inaction to buyer fraud is causing the problem to grow every year. Scamming buyers have become even bolder knowing that Amazon will not hold them accountable. All sellers should maintain an internal ban list to avoid dealing with these types of buyers in the future since Amazon will not give us even the most basic tools to protect our businesses (ie. a buyer ban option).

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

Contact the buyer’s LOCAL post office, using the USPS link. Make sure to select “Post Offices”, using the buyer’s zip code, provided on the order.

Ask to speak to a Supervisor. Explain, you are an Amazon seller, so they pay attention to you (believe me, it makes a difference), explaining the situation.

If a buyer does not pick up the parcel, after 30 days, it will automatically be returned to you, which may take, an additional 30 days.

Tell the supervisor, the buyer may be, trying to scam you and you will appreciate, if the parcel can be returned to you, before, the 30 day period ends. Tell them, you will gladly pay any postage for the return.

Explain, you are afraid, that as soon as you refund the customer, they will go to the post office and pick the parcel up or request redelivery.

You need to remain polite and do not directly accuse the buyer, but use words such as: “may be”, “you don’t know what to do”, “afraid” of losing the money and the item, etc…

Forgot the most important part:

Do not refund, until the parcel is in your possession or you see the tracking shows, it is actually on its way back to you.

user profile
Seller_YZqZQFMixqA3B

As April stated, see if you can’t get the package re-routed back to you ASAP. Do not tell your customer this. Just tell the customer that you are investigating and that if you cannot find the package, you will refund. This will hopefully buy some time so that the package has a chance to be on its way back to you.

What I am seeing the customer is trying to do is get a refund and then hurry to the post office to pick up the order, thus getting a free product. The customer is trying to scam you.

user profile
Seller_8L8bhfQHGMevV

…Nopeeeeee. Have the package routed back to you

user profile
Seller_aQELpSUQi3699

If USPS.com has the hold on the tracking information. Amazon rep told me to put the tracking information in each e-mail you reply to buyer. This covers you in AZ claims.

user profile
Seller_VQgQ1dmIz1WbJ

Make sure you send an email to let them know the package is being held at post office, send a link and print screen, proving that it shows the package is being held.
Be respectful and professional.
Explain, no refund can be made until the package is release.
Explain that using USPS to defraud an individual of property or valuables is a federal offense and you are required to provide proof that you disclosed this legal information. Tell them, “please disregard if it does not apply to you personally, this is a legal disclosure that must be provided”, put “Legal Disclosure” at the bottom of communication, after you sign the email. Then after Legal Disclosure - put the disregard statement, then state the legal notice about using usps to defraud individuals…etc.

Authorize the return, without pre-paid shipping, so they have to ship it back to you.
Explain that they must release the item to either be returned to shipper or to be accepted by the buyer.
Explain that Amazon will be provided this information and cannot hold a seller responsible when they buyer requests a HOLD on the item.
Call USPS, explain you are an online business and have an issue with a buyer attempting to use post office for fraud.

Gather all the information, such as tracking, print screen of tracking data saved to a document, save link to same word doc, get names of supervisor you speak with at USPS, call local usps by zip code - get name of supervisor, save all this to a word doc, so you can provide it to Amazon. Once gathered, be sure you send a copy to the buyer to show you called local usps, name of supervisor, phone number, tracking data, proof of hold by buyer, etc.

good luck,
be prepared to follow through on charges, as this will deter others,

Go to original post