Seller Forums
Sign in
Sign in
user profile
Sign in
user profile
Seller_ZJ3BZIjje5nbn

Crazy & Mysterious USPS Tracking

Can someone explain the USPS tracking history? The item is supposed to be delivered to Jamestown, NC 27282. The item was at the post office 40 miles away but it’s rerouted to the next facility. The buyer has not contacted me.

This is $600 item with signature required, shipped in USPS Priority Mail with box 12" x 10" x 6". Over the years I do learn - never send anything in the First Class Mail with signature required (I lost 2 packages) and buy insurance for anything over $1,000. USPS insurance is more expensive than FedEx/UPS but it has high limit.Ironic I have never lost a book or anything not requiring signature, only packages requiring signatures!!! I talked to a Post Master and he told me he would insure anything value above $500. He said losing packages is normal and that’s the reason USPS offers insurance.

Tracking History

December 16, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

December 15, 2018, 9:56 am
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
GREENSBORO NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 15, 2018, 1:54 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

December 14, 2018, 3:32 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
EDEN, NC 27288 ====================>> which is 40 miles away from the destination Jamestown, NC

December 14, 2018, 7:43 am
Arrived at Post Office
EDEN, NC 27288

December 13, 2018, 8:29 am
GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 12, 2018, 11:55 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 11, 2018, 11:33 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

December 10, 2018, 12:46 pm

14 replies
Tags:FedEx, UPS, USPS
14 replies
user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

That “In Transit to Next Facility” scan is just a bot entry to provide an update for the day since no other scans happened on the 16th. The next scan will likely be the destination post office, then an out for delivery scan an hour or so later. I would not be surprised if you see an updated scan before 9AM in the morning. Being the holidays, USPS is processing more packages and a greater percentage of missed scans/mishaps is to be expected. But I see nothing out of the ordinary except the long time in transit for Priority Mail. Have anything to do with that snow storm that hit NC?

user profile
Seller_MeMeREd6QdXWk

Put in your information for updates and use the lost mail online form. Sometimes this will get mail moving again.

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

We run our business right outside greensboro. Mail was been a mess this whole week. We had 16 inches of snow which was the biggest storm in the 6 years we were here. Up till thursday packages to our house were still way behind, many roads were still not plowed or passable in some areas. Likely with the mess the package was routed wrong with the monster backlog the greensboro sorting center likely had.

user profile
Seller_S7yYqiwLdBUTZ

You’re probably just seeing delays from the big snow storm. Don’t believe the “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds” propaganda. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen our packages appear very close to the final destination in the online tracking and then take a major detour of a thousand miles or more, usually with a day or two additional delay as someone manually processes the “what the heck is this doing here?” routine and gets the package headed back to the proper destination. Based on my background in automation engineering, I think what happens is the package is under another package on a high speed sorter conveyor belt and both packages are routed to the destination read from the other package’s shipping label. Derp.

user profile
Seller_nR5mejs24aRxp

Check the zip code.

user profile
Seller_wHIpfFFV70IX9

Did you pull this tracking information through Amazon or the usps website? I always suggest tracking through the carrier (not Amazon) as key information like undeverable address, returning to sender appear on the usps site but not through Amazon.

user profile
Seller_7SzoPcpVmA2aF

Looks like loop mail to me.

Loop mail happens when a mailpiece has two USPS bar codes with different embedded zip codes or the embedded zip code in the bar code doesn’t match the human readable zip code in the address.

Go here to report it. That will notify a human at the destination post office to take action: https://emailus.usps.com/emailUs/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

It was probably mis-routed to Eden instead of Edenton. Edenton is near Jamestown on the coast, but Eden (where the package went) is in the central part of the state near Greensboro.

user profile
Seller_ehh67b2pXphOG

the same thing is happening to me right now. They are blaming it on the Christmas rush. I dont buy it

user profile
Seller_NaEy7NOsIT9d8

The wheels pretty much fell off this weekend, which happens at about the same time every year. They will be buried until Wednesday and will begin to dig themselves out on Thursday as the inflow of packages drastically dies down. For a while I thought they might be able to maintain forward momentum but things have now ground to a halt.

user profile
Seller_ZJ3BZIjje5nbn

Can someone explain the USPS tracking history? The item is supposed to be delivered to Jamestown, NC 27282. The item was at the post office 40 miles away but it’s rerouted to the next facility. The buyer has not contacted me.

This is $600 item with signature required, shipped in USPS Priority Mail with box 12" x 10" x 6". Over the years I do learn - never send anything in the First Class Mail with signature required (I lost 2 packages) and buy insurance for anything over $1,000. USPS insurance is more expensive than FedEx/UPS but it has high limit.Ironic I have never lost a book or anything not requiring signature, only packages requiring signatures!!! I talked to a Post Master and he told me he would insure anything value above $500. He said losing packages is normal and that’s the reason USPS offers insurance.

Tracking History

December 16, 2018
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Arrived at USPS Facility
EDEN, NC 27288 ====================>> which is 40 miles away from the destination Jamestown, NC

Arrived at Post Office
EDEN, NC 27288

14 replies
user profile

by Seller_ZJ3BZIjje5nbn

Tracking History

December 16, 2018

Arrived at USPS Facility

Arrived at Post Office
EDEN, NC 27288

14 replies
14 replies
14 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

That “In Transit to Next Facility” scan is just a bot entry to provide an update for the day since no other scans happened on the 16th. The next scan will likely be the destination post office, then an out for delivery scan an hour or so later. I would not be surprised if you see an updated scan before 9AM in the morning. Being the holidays, USPS is processing more packages and a greater percentage of missed scans/mishaps is to be expected. But I see nothing out of the ordinary except the long time in transit for Priority Mail. Have anything to do with that snow storm that hit NC?

user profile
Seller_MeMeREd6QdXWk

Put in your information for updates and use the lost mail online form. Sometimes this will get mail moving again.

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

We run our business right outside greensboro. Mail was been a mess this whole week. We had 16 inches of snow which was the biggest storm in the 6 years we were here. Up till thursday packages to our house were still way behind, many roads were still not plowed or passable in some areas. Likely with the mess the package was routed wrong with the monster backlog the greensboro sorting center likely had.

user profile
Seller_S7yYqiwLdBUTZ

You’re probably just seeing delays from the big snow storm. Don’t believe the “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds” propaganda. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen our packages appear very close to the final destination in the online tracking and then take a major detour of a thousand miles or more, usually with a day or two additional delay as someone manually processes the “what the heck is this doing here?” routine and gets the package headed back to the proper destination. Based on my background in automation engineering, I think what happens is the package is under another package on a high speed sorter conveyor belt and both packages are routed to the destination read from the other package’s shipping label. Derp.

user profile
Seller_nR5mejs24aRxp

Check the zip code.

user profile
Seller_wHIpfFFV70IX9

Did you pull this tracking information through Amazon or the usps website? I always suggest tracking through the carrier (not Amazon) as key information like undeverable address, returning to sender appear on the usps site but not through Amazon.

user profile
Seller_7SzoPcpVmA2aF

Loop mail happens when a mailpiece has two USPS bar codes with different embedded zip codes or the embedded zip code in the bar code doesn’t match the human readable zip code in the address.

Go here to report it. That will notify a human at the destination post office to take action: https://emailus.usps.com/emailUs/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

It was probably mis-routed to Eden instead of Edenton. Edenton is near Jamestown on the coast, but Eden (where the package went) is in the central part of the state near Greensboro.

user profile
Seller_ehh67b2pXphOG

the same thing is happening to me right now. They are blaming it on the Christmas rush. I dont buy it

user profile
Seller_NaEy7NOsIT9d8

The wheels pretty much fell off this weekend, which happens at about the same time every year. They will be buried until Wednesday and will begin to dig themselves out on Thursday as the inflow of packages drastically dies down. For a while I thought they might be able to maintain forward momentum but things have now ground to a halt.

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

user profile
Seller_MeMeREd6QdXWk

user profile
Seller_MeMeREd6QdXWk

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

user profile
Seller_S7yYqiwLdBUTZ

user profile
Seller_S7yYqiwLdBUTZ

user profile
Seller_nR5mejs24aRxp

Check the zip code.

user profile
Seller_nR5mejs24aRxp

Check the zip code.

user profile
Seller_wHIpfFFV70IX9

user profile
Seller_wHIpfFFV70IX9

user profile
Seller_7SzoPcpVmA2aF

user profile
Seller_7SzoPcpVmA2aF

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

user profile
Seller_ehh67b2pXphOG

user profile
Seller_ehh67b2pXphOG

user profile
Seller_NaEy7NOsIT9d8

user profile
Seller_NaEy7NOsIT9d8