user profile
Sign in
user profile

Listings Lounge: Why do you HAVE to Delete and relist? The answer might surprise you.

by Glenn_Amazon

UPVOTE / DOWNVOTE this post if you enjoy seeing content like this. Leave a comment on this post with questions you may have about this topic and let us know what Listing on Amazon subject matters you want us to feature next!

Hey folks,

I know it can be really frustrating when you have difficulties with updating your listings Seller Support requests that you delete and then relist a product. The short answer is that in general, yes this is the only way to resolve issues where there is an error with your listing but I’d like to give some context on why this is required.

As I’ve mentioned in my Listing Lounge Post on Attributes, listings are made by creating listing contribution to attributes. The Add Products Tool is a workflow that builds a submission of contributions to a listing and editing a listing is like submitting an update. However these submissions are additive, they don’t delete contributions. If there is an error in the contributions, for example two contributions to the same ASIN that are in conflict from two separate SKUs, making the edits may not be enough to clear the old contributions. This is where “deleting and relisting becomes relevant. By deleting and waiting for 48 hours, it ensures that the older contributions are fully cleared so there won’t be any conflicting information to cause the error.

The best way to delete and relist is by using uploading a Template as suggested in my Listing Lounge Post on Templates. It ensures that you have the contributions stored in your flat file and you can make changes in bulk.

It can be frustrating to have to delete and relist to clear these errors, but it is a very strong tool to have in your arsenal when creating and managing your listings with or without Seller Support.

Have you had some success stories with deleting and relisting? What parts of the experience do you feel could be improved?

If you have specific questions on any listing errors you are encountering we request you make a new thread with your most recent Seller Support Case.

Thanks for taking the time to review this, have a great day.

-Glenn

Tags: Add a product, Detail page, Listings
88 replies
88 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_aNsixtdBpnLRG
In reply to: Glenn_Amazon's post

I can understand if one makes a mistake and sees it and cannot change a brand new listing they just posted-

So riddle me this: how does one salvage the reviews, ratings, buyer images posted, and other positive information when doing it 'your way' on an older listing?

How does one correct what a black hat that took control over and changed nearly every thing is supposed to do?

user profile
Seller_Nd9XJTceHpNg8

What happens to the products ranking during that 48 period during which the product is deleted?

user profile
Seller_aUbEyzlSSnsDJ

This is doublespeak for our system sucks. IMO

user profile
Seller_oDXVaydIpi3Hi

There is never a reason to have to do this, other than amazon has a poor system that should have been updated correctly over the last 20 years.

user profile
Seller_weu5C3hytYJvl

Amazon post qualities are getting poorer everyday, just like their customer support

user profile
Seller_RVv3EUB85zEUX
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_RtdH6GXIhUgc5

I.E. We would rather you as the seller take 2+ days off sales, upload again, and cross your fingers for success rather than do something about this negative by-product of the way we designed the workflow. We choose not to provide another way to clear the old contributions. You get to trust us that it's better overall. It's a very strong tool to have in your arsenal.

user profile
Seller_9MdSmMvZ83jn0

I would like to see a simple catalog export option like vendor central. Far quicker if we do have to delete and re-upload. Or if we want to update attributes across a variant. Add it as an option on the manage all inventory page via the dropdown menu. Even better have a separate catalog page.

user profile
Seller_1oT4ZOwrSByEE

We pay enough for you to fix your systems, the support here is awful after over 20y and the listings are even worse.

Where is our money going?

user profile
Seller_9PcsTCN0ancqb

We've been advised many times at live Amazon events that doing this is a last resort as you lose reviews, ratings, and such as a brand registered owner. The one wish we would have is that support can see brand registry and the uploaded documents to support ownership so that listings can be fixed. Afterall, we all want the listing to look it's best, right?

Go to original post