Seller Forums
Sign in
Sign in
user profile
Sign in
user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

How to file a claim directly with UPS for lost packages that are shipped with Amazon prepaid UPS return labels

Hello all,

We have been selling on Amazon for several years but this is actually my first post on the forum. We are a furniture company, therefore all of our packages are very large and heavy.

Recently, we have had 2 separate returns lost in transit by UPS. After contacting Amazon numerous times and being instructed to file a claim directly with UPS, I logged into UPS claims page with our Amazon credentials to file the claims.

On the very first page of UPS claims, there is a question asking what our relationship to this package is. There are 4 options:

1. I am the shipped of this package.
  2. I am the recipient of this package.
  3. I am the shipper’s appointed representative.
  4. I am a 3rd party.

There is also a note saying, in order to file the claim as the shipper or the shipper’s appointed representative we have to have Amazon’s UPS account added to our profile, which is not going to happen. So, there is only 2 options left.

I have tried filing the claims with the options “I am the recipient” and “I am 3rd party”. Although the claims have been filed, a few days later both claims have ben declined and the investigations cancelled. Again, these claims are for “lost package” and the tracking information for both packages clearly show that UPS lost them in transit.

I called UPS (actually about 10 times in 1 week) and have spoken with 8 different supervisor, including from the claims department. All 8 of them have confirmed that Amazon does not allow 3rd party sellers or the recipient to file a claim. ONLY the account owner of the return label can file the claim and only the account owner / shipper can get reimbursed by UPS. I called Amazon back and I was told to contact UPS. This back and forth pointing fingers has been going on for 3 weeks.

Finally today, I called Amazon and spoke with a supervisor from the captive team. The supervisor also confirmed that they could not do anything and all sellers have to file a claim directly with UPS. I told them that I have already tried it several times and UPS’s policy clearly enforces the account owner to file any claims. No result… nothing.

The only thing I have been getting told by Amazon is just call UPS back and file a claim as if they are not even listening to the facts I have been giving them.

So, here are 2 questions for all sellers on Amazon:

1. Is there any way to change the prepaid RETURN label option from UPS to FedEx?
  2. Is there anyone in this forum who has successfully filed “any” claims for Amazon prepaid return labels and got their money back? If so, I would very much appreciate if you could give me instructions on how to move forward.

Thank you everyone in advance!

3.5K views
87 replies
Tags:Cancelled order, FedEx, Shipping labels, UPS
87 replies
user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Vicis_Trading

Their entire system is broken, the help menu for UPS direct you to dial that phone number…

That does not work, if you knew their account number which apparently seems to change?

You might be able to open something up???

I sometimes wonder if Amazon has these things working the way they do by Design?

They probably contractually cut some sort of deal with UPS, trying to get them to change it to FedEx might never happen…

You might try to figure out how to fill out and file for exemptions …

But I don’t know how many products you actually have??

And you would have to manually I think at that point accept the return and issue it FedEx…

I don’t really get returns, but I read a lot of the menucha and craziness that goes on an Amazon land…

They are having horrible problems with their new address validation system & the Kool-Aid postage not being offered through USPS…

Forcing sellers into using extremely expensive services like FedEx, UPS, unless they’re smart enough to have their own plan B postage accounts…

This is also covered on that same page where the UPS phone number is? Apparently this is done to provide good timely customer service, excluding the post office…

Which I believe both FedEx, & UPS use for last mile delivery… he he he…

Unless you go insane before , you’re able to render customer service…

user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988

Years ago, and I mean a couple years ago, I remember reading of 2 separate cases where the sellers were able to have the refund processed.

Amazon received the refund.

The sellers fought for 2 months to get the money passed back to them.

Thier effort involved numerous emails to seller support back and forth.

I would imagine something like that today would be passed on to the Jeff email.

I have not heard of a successful refund from ups since, but have heard of many many irritated sellers getting ripped off.

For this reason I use my own account if I must use ups or just not use ups at all and much prefer fedex

user profile
Seller_bn8DWWmTSpHb0

These topics always make me wish that just once, someone having this legitimate problem would set up a conference call with a captive team supervisor and a ups agent and record the whole thing so we can listen to the ensuing argument that transpires and shows just how bad this issue really is.

user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

All the replies there is so far means no one has been able to get reimbursed for a lost or damaged package yet??? That is amazing!

Honestly, due to the value of the items we sell on Amazon, only the 2 orders that have been lost so far are worth over $1K. We have always followed Amazon’s protocols to keep our account current and in good standing. Considering the way we have been treating Amazon, that is completely unfair and unethical to be treated this way.

In any case, legally, there has to be a way to do this properly. That’s why I posted to the forum for the very first time, just because we haven’t been able to get any answers neither from Amazon nor UPS.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

I have successfully filed claims with UPS for both return labels and original shipping labels using Amazon’s UPS account. I am currently filing for a return label lost in transit now and will verify the steps have not changed. Then I will post the instructions.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

I know the OP already knows the basic info on how to file a claim but here are the complete instructions for when we hire a new employee and they need step by step instructions. ** Most important step is #11 below)
Remember: If UPS asks for the account number it will be the 6 digits after the 1Z in the tracking number. The 1Z###### (where # is the number or letter)

1. Log into the UPS website using your company UPS login (or create a new one). Make sure your address matches the address used on your UPS labels from Amazon. This is the address you see on the Return Address section on the top left when you print a shipping label.

2. On the top right is a search box. Search for the word “claims”

3. The top result will be Claims | UPS Support - United States and just click on that link

4. Scroll down a little and click Start a Claim

5. Enter tracking number

6. Select “I am a 3rd Party”

7. Select “Package is lost” (or if this is for damages select “package is damaged”)

8. Fill out all the information

9. Make sure to upload a copy of the Amazon Packing Slip or invoice

10. Make sure to upload a PDF of the tracking number results from UPS website tracking
    a. Just search the tracking number on UPS website and click on “Detailed View” then print the page and choose Save As PDF for the print option.

11. After completing the claim Please Call 1-800-651-2352 (which is for UPS Damages) and ask to be transferred to “Lost Packages to check on a Claim filed”. If this was for damages, then just speak to the rep on the phone but for Lost packages they have a different extension the rep will transfer you to. (I wish they would just give out that phone number to skip this step)

12. The Rep will ask you some basic info. Remember to state that you are the shipper on file and the package was supposed to be returned to you at your address as this was a return shipment. Or if this was a normal delivery make sure to state you are the shipper and the package was not delivered.

13. The Rep will ask for the tracking number and will give you basic tracking results.
    a. Just reply “Yes, I am the shipper and this package was not delivered”

14. The Rep will put you on hold for 1 to 2 minutes while they investigate

15. The Rep will return and ask for you to provide your email ; full name ; phone number ; company address ; and the tracking number again.

16. The Rep will email you 3 forms to complete for a check payment to be made.

17. Make sure to write legibly on their forms. If you do not print clearly the check may not get delivered to the correct address. DO NOT SCREW THIS PART UP WITH BAD HANDWRITING.

18. Then fax the completed forms back to UPS. You will not be able to email them. For some odd reason you must fax.

19. Feel free to call the number above every now and then to check the status of the claim (do not rely on the website to provide actual correct claim status updates)

20. You should receive the check in about 30 days after faxing the completed forms.

21. Last step: Ask your boss to buy you lunch when you give him/her/they the check payment.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

These are the forms they send in case anyone wanted to see an example. I am pretty sure I covered up everything I am supposed to but let me know if I missed something on accident.

user profile
Seller_qgSkOunvOQaOG

We’ve also have numerous packages got lost by UPS every month, how disappointing.

user profile
Seller_dl5SVde78Jtk0

I have had that problem and filed a safety claim. A few times they paid but this was for books, not huge items. No way to work through UPS or Amazon as you have been trying to do.

user profile
Seller_qBOzcw6cBvGrR

@Vicis_Trading,

I have heard rumblings from a couple attorneys that there is interest in a class action over this. It is substantial when you factor in the volume of lost packages.

user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

How to file a claim directly with UPS for lost packages that are shipped with Amazon prepaid UPS return labels

Hello all,

We have been selling on Amazon for several years but this is actually my first post on the forum. We are a furniture company, therefore all of our packages are very large and heavy.

Recently, we have had 2 separate returns lost in transit by UPS. After contacting Amazon numerous times and being instructed to file a claim directly with UPS, I logged into UPS claims page with our Amazon credentials to file the claims.

On the very first page of UPS claims, there is a question asking what our relationship to this package is. There are 4 options:

4. I am a 3rd party.

There is also a note saying, in order to file the claim as the shipper or the shipper’s appointed representative we have to have Amazon’s UPS account added to our profile, which is not going to happen. So, there is only 2 options left.

I have tried filing the claims with the options “I am the recipient” and “I am 3rd party”. Although the claims have been filed, a few days later both claims have ben declined and the investigations cancelled. Again, these claims are for “lost package” and the tracking information for both packages clearly show that UPS lost them in transit.

I called UPS (actually about 10 times in 1 week) and have spoken with 8 different supervisor, including from the claims department. All 8 of them have confirmed that Amazon does not allow 3rd party sellers or the recipient to file a claim. ONLY the account owner of the return label can file the claim and only the account owner / shipper can get reimbursed by UPS. I called Amazon back and I was told to contact UPS. This back and forth pointing fingers has been going on for 3 weeks.

Finally today, I called Amazon and spoke with a supervisor from the captive team. The supervisor also confirmed that they could not do anything and all sellers have to file a claim directly with UPS. I told them that I have already tried it several times and UPS’s policy clearly enforces the account owner to file any claims. No result… nothing.

The only thing I have been getting told by Amazon is just call UPS back and file a claim as if they are not even listening to the facts I have been giving them.

1. Is there any way to change the prepaid RETURN label option from UPS to FedEx?
  2. Is there anyone in this forum who has successfully filed “any” claims for Amazon prepaid return labels and got their money back? If so, I would very much appreciate if you could give me instructions on how to move forward.

3.5K views
87 replies
user profile

by Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

Hello all,

4. I am a 3rd party.

3.5K views
87 replies
87 replies
87 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Vicis_Trading

Their entire system is broken, the help menu for UPS direct you to dial that phone number…

That does not work, if you knew their account number which apparently seems to change?

I sometimes wonder if Amazon has these things working the way they do by Design?

They probably contractually cut some sort of deal with UPS, trying to get them to change it to FedEx might never happen…

And you would have to manually I think at that point accept the return and issue it FedEx…

I don’t really get returns, but I read a lot of the menucha and craziness that goes on an Amazon land…

They are having horrible problems with their new address validation system & the Kool-Aid postage not being offered through USPS…

Forcing sellers into using extremely expensive services like FedEx, UPS, unless they’re smart enough to have their own plan B postage accounts…

This is also covered on that same page where the UPS phone number is? Apparently this is done to provide good timely customer service, excluding the post office…

user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988

Years ago, and I mean a couple years ago, I remember reading of 2 separate cases where the sellers were able to have the refund processed.

I have not heard of a successful refund from ups since, but have heard of many many irritated sellers getting ripped off.

For this reason I use my own account if I must use ups or just not use ups at all and much prefer fedex

user profile
Seller_bn8DWWmTSpHb0

These topics always make me wish that just once, someone having this legitimate problem would set up a conference call with a captive team supervisor and a ups agent and record the whole thing so we can listen to the ensuing argument that transpires and shows just how bad this issue really is.

user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

All the replies there is so far means no one has been able to get reimbursed for a lost or damaged package yet??? That is amazing!

Honestly, due to the value of the items we sell on Amazon, only the 2 orders that have been lost so far are worth over $1K. We have always followed Amazon’s protocols to keep our account current and in good standing. Considering the way we have been treating Amazon, that is completely unfair and unethical to be treated this way.

In any case, legally, there has to be a way to do this properly. That’s why I posted to the forum for the very first time, just because we haven’t been able to get any answers neither from Amazon nor UPS.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

I have successfully filed claims with UPS for both return labels and original shipping labels using Amazon’s UPS account. I am currently filing for a return label lost in transit now and will verify the steps have not changed. Then I will post the instructions.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

I know the OP already knows the basic info on how to file a claim but here are the complete instructions for when we hire a new employee and they need step by step instructions. ** Most important step is #11 below)
Remember: If UPS asks for the account number it will be the 6 digits after the 1Z in the tracking number. The 1Z###### (where # is the number or letter)

1. Log into the UPS website using your company UPS login (or create a new one). Make sure your address matches the address used on your UPS labels from Amazon. This is the address you see on the Return Address section on the top left when you print a shipping label.

3. The top result will be Claims | UPS Support - United States and just click on that link

5. Enter tracking number

7. Select “Package is lost” (or if this is for damages select “package is damaged”)

10. Make sure to upload a PDF of the tracking number results from UPS website tracking
    a. Just search the tracking number on UPS website and click on “Detailed View” then print the page and choose Save As PDF for the print option.

11. After completing the claim Please Call 1-800-651-2352 (which is for UPS Damages) and ask to be transferred to “Lost Packages to check on a Claim filed”. If this was for damages, then just speak to the rep on the phone but for Lost packages they have a different extension the rep will transfer you to. (I wish they would just give out that phone number to skip this step)

12. The Rep will ask you some basic info. Remember to state that you are the shipper on file and the package was supposed to be returned to you at your address as this was a return shipment. Or if this was a normal delivery make sure to state you are the shipper and the package was not delivered.

13. The Rep will ask for the tracking number and will give you basic tracking results.

15. The Rep will return and ask for you to provide your email ; full name ; phone number ; company address ; and the tracking number again.

17. Make sure to write legibly on their forms. If you do not print clearly the check may not get delivered to the correct address. DO NOT SCREW THIS PART UP WITH BAD HANDWRITING.

18. Then fax the completed forms back to UPS. You will not be able to email them. For some odd reason you must fax.

19. Feel free to call the number above every now and then to check the status of the claim (do not rely on the website to provide actual correct claim status updates)

20. You should receive the check in about 30 days after faxing the completed forms.

21. Last step: Ask your boss to buy you lunch when you give him/her/they the check payment.

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

These are the forms they send in case anyone wanted to see an example. I am pretty sure I covered up everything I am supposed to but let me know if I missed something on accident.

user profile
Seller_qgSkOunvOQaOG

We’ve also have numerous packages got lost by UPS every month, how disappointing.

user profile
Seller_dl5SVde78Jtk0

I have had that problem and filed a safety claim. A few times they paid but this was for books, not huge items. No way to work through UPS or Amazon as you have been trying to do.

user profile
Seller_qBOzcw6cBvGrR

@Vicis_Trading,

I have heard rumblings from a couple attorneys that there is interest in a class action over this. It is substantial when you factor in the volume of lost packages.

user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Vicis_Trading

user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Vicis_Trading

user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988

user profile
Seller_jglZowc8rO988

user profile
Seller_bn8DWWmTSpHb0

user profile
Seller_bn8DWWmTSpHb0

user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

user profile
Seller_1z0ZI7saOSK3h

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

5. Enter tracking number

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

5. Enter tracking number

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

user profile
Seller_3hVj9IvtVRWiA

user profile
Seller_qgSkOunvOQaOG

user profile
Seller_qgSkOunvOQaOG

user profile
Seller_dl5SVde78Jtk0

user profile
Seller_dl5SVde78Jtk0

user profile
Seller_qBOzcw6cBvGrR

@Vicis_Trading,

user profile
Seller_qBOzcw6cBvGrR

@Vicis_Trading,