user profile
Sign in
user profile

Buyer returned products that appear new but different serial numbers

by Seller_R6XWxYg3EVq0j

A first for me, and struggling to know how to handle. A customer ordered two of the same product from me, each costing roughly $3500 for a total order of $7,000. These products are fulfilled by merchant and not FBA. They are serialized, and the serials are recorded on the product and on the packaging. What I received back from the buyer are two of the correct product, but with incorrect serials (materially different). My best guess is they had also ordered it somewhere else, but mine arrived first and so they simply used mine and are trying to return the others from the vendor back to me.

This wouldn’t be a huge issue if not for the fact that my distributor will not warranty something they did not sell, which means the units I received back cannot be resold since they no longer would carry any kind of manufacturer warranty except from the original unknown place they were obtained from by the customer.

Amazon suggested I ask the customer if they’d like to return the original products I sold them, which I did, but the customer has not responded to that or any of my other initial messages. So now I have $7000 worth of materially different returned parts, that I cannot resell and the buyer is not responding. Obviously there will be an A-Z claim coming shortly, I’m just trying to figure out what I could possibly do before then since the buyer is non responsive. At present, the refund is still open because I have not closed it.

My gut feeling is I must go ahead and complete the return but I’m not sure if that covers me or if I should leave it open while attempting to reach the buyer.

Tags: Refunds, Return shipment
26 replies
26 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_DdmPiA1p1S2Wu
In reply to: Seller_R6XWxYg3EVq0j's post

I think the only thing you can do other than doing a full refund is to refund some portion, say 50% for materially different. If you don't do any refund after 48 hours, at some point, Amazon is going to refund it in full. From my experience, this usually happens around the week mark, but it could happen any time after 48 hours after you received the items back. It's a sucky situation to be sure.

user profile
Seller_Sram36TnVt73c

I BELIEVE that if YOU do the refund, you will NOT be able to file a Safe-T claim to recoup any loss...just a heads-up on that.

However, a restocking fee might be appropriate but I am not sure. To me, a complete switcheroo should not be refunded AT ALL, but I presume Amazon disagrees.

user profile
Seller_R6XWxYg3EVq0j

if any Mods happen to see this and have any insight, the pertinent caseID is 14873610061. Order numbers are:

114-7563510-8918608

114-3402101-1003461

user profile
Seller_1ZjQmvBmVkYSs

If it wasn't refund at first scan all you can do is, as others have recommended, refund 50% or wait until the auto-refund to file a Safe-T claim and then hope they approve it. You can also try to refund $1 or $.01 and see if that works but it's risky and voids the ability to file a Safe-T claim.

user profile
Seller_R2dP7Hunjcdj0

user profile
Seller_R6XWxYg3EVq0j
Show post
A customer ordered two of the same product from me, each costing roughly $3500 for a total order of $7,000. These products are fulfilled by merchant and not FBA. They are serialized, and the serials are recorded on the product and on the packaging. What I received back from the buyer are two of the correct product, but with incorrect serials (materially different).

What you failed to mention is the Return Reason used to Return these items. Based on your post I am assuming that it was NOT due to Damage/Defect, and so you should expect to receive back items in the same condition as when originally shipped. My post is based on this assumption.

I have read your post and the replies, and I have a different take on this, and one you MAY like better.

I disagree with the position that the Buyer Returned the Product in "Materially Different Condition than originally shipped", and that a Safe-T Claim is the way for you to go. If you do that, you will probably lose 50% of the sale ($3,500).

IF the Buyer had Returned the SAME items you shipped to them, AND had "Materially" altered them, that WOULD be what you assume happened to you here.

ACTUALLY, the Buyer Returned COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ITEMS than what you shipped them. It does NOT matter that the items the same Brand and Item type, because as you point-out the Serial Numbers are different. They are VERY SIMILAR, but they are NOT "The Same" items.

So, you did NOT receive back the SAME product. You are a victim of "Switcheroo", and the product you received back can NEVER be sold as NEW by you because you lack the documentation to prove they are NOT "Inauthentic".

It is a total LOSS so far, so let's see if we can Reverse this for you.

First, you should message the Buyer (politely and professionally) to inform them of them accidentally Returned incorrect items back to you, and you are unable to process a Refund for this reason. Explain that the Buyer MUST Return the correct items to receive a Refund. Offer to Return the items you received back IF the Buyer provides you with a Pre-Paid Shipping Label back to them.

I would then withhold 100% of the Refund, including not only the photos of Returned product, but of the Original as well.

You should certainly expect an A-Z Claim, but IF Amazon sides with you on withholding the 100% Refund, you should prevail.

Finally, you should definitely expect to be hit with a 1-Star Feedback from the buyer when they discover that THEY bear responsibility for this mistake. Feedback that Amazon will NOT remove.

But for $7,000.00 I would absolutely risk it!

I HOPE I got this to you in-time!

Good Luck!

user profile
Seller_2srXkS44rN39i

The value would seem to be high enough to get law enforcement involved. Also, for the price, i would think there is a good chance that the equipment touches the internet. (We've had a report that the equipment is stolen, and it appears to have been used on your premises in the last 12 hours, mind if we take a look?)

Or maybe a local service tech could visit them to do some "warranty repair" for a urgent security issue, or "replace a part that needs to be replaced before it catostrophically fails".

user profile
Seller_R2dP7Hunjcdj0

user profile
Seller_fES06yRlGgMc4
Show post
you should include both the serial numbers that you shipped and the serial numbers that were returned to you

Yes, I did advise that action myself.

user profile
Seller_fES06yRlGgMc4
Show post
contact the supplier or manufacturer, explain the issue to them, and see whether they would stand behind you if you re-sold the goods as new.

The issue would not be between the Supplier and the Seller, it would be between the Seller and Amazon. To do what you suggest, the Supplier would have to issue the Seller a NEW Invoice for the new serial numbered items to pass the Amazon test.

And thank you for your comments. :)

user profile
Seller_Ha6JyVvDK6Ybs

Guess that is worse than the $650 item that was returned to us where customer taped packaging back up trying to make it look unopened while keeping time then day it was returned filed AtoZ scammers and returns have been off the charts since Amazon announced the FREE instant replacements seems it caught their attention. We even sent customer images before shipping then when customer got item the claimed it was missing parts and we showed them the tail they claim was missing was right there visible in the image we sent them they are getting brave and no longer care as Amazon does nothing to these customers.

user profile
Seller_uo168B2yl62kR

If you have your purchase invoice of the product purchased from the manufacturer and serial numbers are on your original purchase order and on your Amazon sale invoice. Go to state police and file a theft report and you best be correct on everything and have your proof. Then contact Amazon to see what steps to take next. See if a report helps you. At least if you going to get """" let the customer know you filed the report with the state. Pick your battles and Fight back. Free returns are not really a good thing. It has created some bad people and Amazon is making their list I'm sure. REMEMBER IT NOT YOUR PRODUCT RETURNED TO YOU > even though it looks the same. No refund 100% fee charge for switching out and not communicating. Then watch the return for 2 days and keep resubmitting because it will get knocked back. then write a letter to the customer and ask if they made a mistake and returned it wrong and watch them respond within a couple of hours. They will be saying I made a mistake. Now you have to suck it up and work it out. But only after calling Amazon so they can read the customer's response. If you must return to them use COD FedEx. make them pay their return. Or you can pay. Fight your battle properly. Good luck

user profile
Seller_Fjab9DiTv8G4R

Sounds like someone might be trying to "clean" some product. I wouldn't be surprised if you just received some "hot" serial numbers, but hopefully not. Best of luck.

Go to original post