user profile
Sign in
user profile

UPS Returns Possible New Scam

by Seller_gatjkdfPmzT4O

So a customer requested a return for a high value item and the system provided a prepaid UPS label. The tracking number shows item was dropped off last Wednesday. Since then there has been zero movement, which is impossible for a UPS package as there are always consistent updates. I've noticed at some UPS stores around me there is now a self scan device and you just drop the item in the box. Is it possible they scanned the item and just walked out?

If this is so, then Amazon needs to adjust there auto-refund policy that once it shows the item depart the shipping location to then give a refund, not when it is dropped off. It's also possible the UPS store or wherever lost the package or it's sitting somewhere in the building without anyone's knowledge. Still, the policy needs to be changed.

Tags: Refunds, Return shipment
37 replies
37 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_DdmPiA1p1S2Wu
In reply to: Seller_gatjkdfPmzT4O's post

Yes, I'm sure that is possible. When I saw the self serve kiosk at my local UPS store, I thought of the same potential scam. It's hard to say what happened here, though. I've dropped off packages at The UPS Store that only got a UPS Store scan and that was it before myself.

user profile
Seller_NqFX43lBnXz8v

if your given a exact scan time, Maybe give the dropoff lacation a call to check the cameras if the guy walks out with package ??

user profile
Seller_gatjkdfPmzT4O

I'm going to call the local UPS store (It does show an exact time on the scan) and ask if they have a self service kiosk and to track down the package in the building. So if no luck there, I'm going to file a Safe-T claim and HOPEFULLY get my money back. Not sure if the initial drop off scan is enough for a UPS claim in case the Safe-T claim fails me.

user profile
Seller_9Cc8y0vrlrIlV

Does it say the item was shipped on Amazon or on UPS? I have been having a similar issue with some returns that generate but there conflicting information on Amazon. People request a return and it generates a prepaid label. On amazon it says shipped and the date which corresponds to the label creation date. However, if you take that tracking number and paste it into the USPS tracking system it simply says label created but was not yet redeemed aka they haven't dropped off the item.

user profile
Seller_5xUDjRTyrAgVB

Terrible system Ama has with these returns. One scam after the next. ONLY the small businesses suffer with this system

user profile
Seller_gatjkdfPmzT4O

So I called the local UPS store. Based on the tracking information description for the last update, the employee provided me the local number to the local UPS customer service center, stating it most likely was dropped off there. I contacted them and the employee there stated she would contact the customer and try to track it down. As of yesterday afternoon, it shows that it was then received by UPS in the original shipping destination city (The first drop off was another city/town and they are over 30 miles from each other). So not sure what happened here honestly, but was very happy with the two employees at both locations for helping me out. I guess will see when I get the return back on Thursday or what I get returned back (I had two other returns lately for this same item and both times the instructions and battery inside the unit were missing and I do check all of these before shipping since I print the instructions and test the units).

user profile
Seller_keSnEDesLFVwv

user profile
Seller_NqFX43lBnXz8v
Show post
Maybe give the dropoff lacation a call to check the cameras if the guy walks out with package ??

A clever scammer ( and there are lots ) could walk in with a loose label and a unlabeled box with a brick in it. He scans the label, palms it, and dumps the package in the appropriate pile. He walks out empty handed.

user profile
Seller_1056OIqQZz0c6

Screenshot the name and address of EVERY shipment. If this happens, call the local sheriffs department and file a Cyber Fraud complaint. Have all of your documentation ready to email to them so they can apprehend. I would also message the customer and let them know you have their address and phone number and everything has been turned over to their local Sheriffs Department. I have done this before and it has worked. "Dear customer, I have contacted Joe Blow at the Benton County Sheriffs department concerning your fraudelent activiity with Amazon order --------. A criminal case has been opened in your name. The address of the Sheriffs Department in your county is _______. I spoke with Deputy Joe Blow, you can contact him at 555-555-5555 for any questions

user profile
Seller_52pUzzgnsLDGs

If they can scan that label themselves we are all in trouble. They scan, then pick up their item and go back home.

user profile
Seller_LaXfWb19u77C5

To say "Since then there has been zero movement, which is impossible for a UPS package as there are always consistent updates" is wrong. UPS loses packages.

Not that long ago, I had a woman randomly text me because she found my UPS package in the middle of the road. No way UPS was going to update the tracking on it, it was gone off their truck.

I've also had UPS lose packages I've shipped to Amazon by not scanning them. I know this because Amazon still received the inventory even though the tracking stopped.

I've dealt with lost ups customer packages, less than USPS but it happens.

I would try to contact UPS first instead of immediately assuming fraud.

If UPS never lost packages, they wouldn't have insurance on everything...

Go to original post