user profile
Sign in
user profile

So you want to remove a customer review?

by Danika_Amazon

We see a lot of discussions here on the Seller Forums on how to remove customer reviews. I’ve pulled together this article to answer many of the frequently asked questions we see for managing customer reviews.

First, let’s discuss the difference between reviews and feedback.

I've noticed these two words are often conflated. Even I find it confusing, as a review provides you with feedback, right? But when we’re talking about Amazon nomenclature, the difference is:

• Customer review is a customer-generated product review. Reviews refers to the stars you receive for a product.
  • Seller feedback is customer-generated feedback about the seller and purchase experience. Feedback refers to the stars you receive as a seller.

To quote the Answers to Questions about Product Reviews help page:

"Customer reviews are about the product, and seller feedback is about the seller and the purchase experience. Customer reviews do not affect your seller performance metrics, but seller feedback can have an impact on your seller performance metrics."

Now that we’ve cleared that up, let’s answer some questions about customer reviews...

Why are customer reviews important?

Customer reviews are an integral part of the Amazon buying experience, helping customers feel more confident with their buying decisions. In order for customer reviews to continue to provide these benefits to customers and sellers, they have to remain a true and authentic reflection of customers’ experiences with the products.

I just got a negative customer review. What should I do?

First of all, don’t panic. While a negative review is not ideal, it won’t impact your seller performance metrics.

As a general rule, Amazon doesn’t remove customer reviews, unless they violate Community Guidelines. If you see a review that does violate our Community Guidelines, you should report it.

Here’s how:

1. From the product detail page, find the review in question.
  2. Click the “Report abuse” link and follow the steps to report the review.
  3. You can also email community-help@amazon.com and report the review there (but know you’re not likely to get a reply from this alias, even if they take action).

Why do some customer reviews disappear?

Reviews are removed from the Amazon website for these reasons only:

• The review conflicted with our Community Guidelines.
  • The review was removed by the reviewer.
  • We discovered that multiple products were incorrectly listed as the same product. Reviews that were posted for those products are separated when the products are separated.
  • We detected unusual review behavior and are not accepting or displaying reviews for this item at this time, or we are only accepting or displaying Amazon Verified Purchase reviews.

What’s not allowed in a customer review per the Community Guidelines?

We don’t allow reviews that focus on seller, order, or shipping feedback, including:

• Sellers and the Customer Service they provide
  • Ordering issues and returns
  • Shipping packaging
  • Product condition and damage
  • Shipping cost and speed

Other content that falls outside the guidelines for customer reviews includes (but is not limited to):

• Repetitive text, spam, or pictures created with symbols
  • Comments about pricing or availability
  • Content written in unsupported languages
  • Private information (such as email or phone numbers)
  • Profanity, hate speech, or sexual content
  • External links
  • Promotional content

These lists aren’t exhaustive, so please visit the Community Guidelines or Inappropriate product reviews page to learn more.

Can a buyer review a product not purchased on Amazon—or from me?

Yes, a buyer can review any product on Amazon, regardless of where they purchased that product, provided they meet the eligibility criteria in our Community Guidelines. Items purchased on Amazon and reviewed will be flagged with badging "Verified Purchase."

What if I work with a buyer to resolve a product issue. Does the buyer have to change or remove the bad review?

No. That is entirely up to the buyer to decide. You’re not allowed to ask buyers to change or remove reviews. For additional information, visit the When buyers want to remove feedback help article.

What if I report a review and nothing happens, even though the review is a violation of the Community Guidelines?

If you’re certain the review is in violation of our Community Guidelines, then you can submit a new discussion thread here on the Seller Forums and we can take another look at your case.

Can I encourage buyers to submit reviews of my products?

Absolutely. While Amazon systems automatically request reviews on your behalf, you’re also welcome to proactively request a review for a specific order. If you elect to do this, we recommend you use the Request a review feature on the Order Details page (versus asking the customer via email or Buyer-Seller Messaging).

See the Request a review from a customer help page for details.

Additional resources

If you have additional question or just want to learn more, here are links to some additional helpful resources on Seller Central and Amazon.com:

Policy pages on Seller Central

Guidelines pages on Amazon

Tags: Negative reviews, Product reviews
21 replies
21 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_JELEnXFOrnw4L
In reply to: Danika_Amazon's post

Danika_Amazon

Can you explain the logic behind this?

"Can a buyer review a product not purchased on Amazon—or from me?

Yes, a buyer can review any product on Amazon, regardless of where they purchased that product, provided they meet the eligibility criteria in our Community Guidelines. Items purchased on Amazon and reviewed will be flagged with badging"

Or, what do you think motivates someone who did not purchase the item on Amazon, to write a review on Amazon?

user profile
Seller_gDktQSA1WFw4Y

I got many reviews "conflicted with our Community Guidelines." the contents are same as you listed. reported to Amazon never got removed.

Either you are lying, or your staff have never read your Community Guidelines.

user profile
Seller_Uyk9bmPlkFclQ

@Danika_Amazon What if we suspect that a competitor has put a 1 star review and used a keyword phrase twice in that review that I was ranking #1? Does that count? I have had all 4 and 5 star Vine reviews and then all of a sudden, two 1 star reviews from accounts that were started 7 months ago with reviewers that only give 1 and 5 star reviews. Can we request to have these removed? I have launched a case log three days ago and no response. (Case ID 13353777411)

user profile
Seller_OCFruj557Zd3A

Case 13273758141

It not only violated "Seller, order, or shipping feedback" from the guidelines but also violated Ads, conflicts of interest, promotional content as it tried to promote the same product from a different seller.

Case 13325181241

It clearly violates "Seller, order, or shipping feedback" from the guidelines as it focuses on the seller's customer service

user profile
Seller_8U2By0QzHJpRU

Hi Danika_Amazon,

Can you please help us with Case ID 13390470031?

Customer left us a negative feedback today 7/26 “Never showed up” and upon checking the tracking, the package will arrive tomorrow 7/27. The package is still in transit and has yet to be delivered. I submitted a case for feedback removal, but they were not helpful at all. The customer never contacted us about concerns with his order. Instead of messaging us, he just automatically left us a negative feedback. In the case message, they stated that "Since buyer feedback is a direct reflection of their Amazon shopping experience.." they are not able to remove the feedback. This is really not a direct reflection of their shopping experience. The customer didn't even give it a chance for the order to be delivered. If they had checked the tracking information, they could see that it is still in transit and have yet to be delivered on 7/27. How is that fair to us that they didn't even wait for their package to arrive yet, but then they get to leave a negative feedback saying it never showed up.

user profile
Seller_Z3DsC8De3iBmx

I have two reviews where the person literally says that they did not purchase the product but complain about the price. I would think that this would go against community guidelines. I've reported them both AND written to the email address but have not received a response. What can i do? See my 2 bad reviews....

user profile
Seller_h3ePPwN8nQs7C

I can no longer see the option to open a case to send to communities to be reviewed for removal. The help section is redesigned and reporting a customer review with explanation is gone?

user profile
Seller_xviPal838WWDB

I got a review "conflicted with amazon Community Guidelines." i reported it to Amazon many times but it never got removed. The review is attached below..

user profile
Seller_dkC0YA24BtrOa

@Danika_AmazonHi Danika, I have two reviews on one of my detail pages that I have requested removal using the "report" button but the review still remain. These reviews were left by customers who purchased from a counterfeit seller who hijacked our listing. We have since been able to remove the unauthorized sellers from the listing. The negative review are thus of a different product and not our product.

The cases I have submitted are: 14049178141 & 14049207261

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post