user profile
Sign in
user profile

How to Handle Used as New Complaints Version 2

by Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0

This is my second thread regarding used as new complaints.

You are reading this because you received a message from Amazon like this

We removed some of your listings because of customer complaints about items listed at the end of this email. Customers may be complaining because the items they received did not accurately match the condition or description of the product mentioned in the product detail page of your listings.

Why did I receive this message?

Amazon has several product detail and listing policies to ensure customers have a consistent buying experience and receive items in the condition they expect. Products listed in "new" condition are expected to arrive in brand new, unopened condition with no signs of damage or wear. If customers receive a product that does not match this description, it may lead them to perceive the item as being previously opened or used.

Learn more about our policies in Seller Central Help:

* Condition Guidelines (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200339950)
* Product Detail Page Rules (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200390640)
* Amazon Product Authenticity and Quality Help Page (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/G202010130)
* Best Practices in Product Authenticity and Quality (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/learn/courses?ref_=su_courses_c12_m554&courseId=12&moduleId=554)
* Prohibited Seller Activities and Actions (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200386250)

How do I reactivate my listings?
You can edit and reactivate your listings in the Inventory section of Seller Central. Please also provide the following information:

1. A plan of action that explains:

* The issue(s) that led to the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.
* The actions you have taken to resolve the issue(s) that caused the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.
* The steps you have taken to prevent future complaints about the condition of your items.

Here are a few things to consider as you create your plan:

1. Sourcing: Are you sourcing the product from a trusted supplier that sells items in condition?
2. Listing: Is the product accurately described on Amazon? Have you ensured that there is no ambiguity and the customer is well informed?
3. Packaging: Is the product in its original manufacturer packaging as listed on Amazon?
4. Shipping: Have you taken all appropriate steps and quality checks to ensure that the product is stored, packed, and shipped appropriately, and will not be damaged when shipped?
5. Review your communications, reviews, and feedback from buyers to better understand the issues.
6. Be as specific as possible in your plan.
7. Do not limit your plan to issues with specific orders.

* Copies of invoices or receipts from your supplier issued in the last 365 days for the ASINs listed below:

8. These documents should reflect your sales volume on Amazon during the last 365 days.
Please include contact information for your supplier, including name, phone number, address, and website. We may contact your supplier to verify the documents. We will maintain the confidentiality of your supplier contact information.
10. You may remove pricing information, but the rest of the document must be visible. For ease of our review, you may highlight or circle the ASIN(s) under review.

What do you do?

1. Anything that has – before it, copy and paste it into a response.

For example,

* Condition Guidelines (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200339950)
* Product Detail Page Rules (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200390640)
* Amazon Product Authenticity and Quality Help Page (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/G202010130)
* Best Practices in Product Authenticity and Quality (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/learn/courses?ref=su_courses_c12_m554&courseId=12&moduleId=554)_
* Prohibited Seller Activities and Actions (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200386250)

You need to review every link mentioned and state that you have read and understand them. Click on them, read them, and take any tests.

1. A plan of action that explains:

* The issue(s) that led to the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.
* The actions you have taken to resolve the issue(s) that caused the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.
* The steps you have taken to prevent future complaints about the condition of your items.

The issue(s) that led to the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.

You will have to do some research.

Look under Account Health (in Seller Central, look under the Performance tab) Voice of the Customer, Customer Feedback (all feedback, not just negative), Buyer-Seller Messages, FBA Returns (Reports, Fulfillment, FBA Returns), Product Reviews.

For FBA Returns, each item will have a sticker that has begins with LPN… This LPN number will be unique to a return.

Note that some times it takes a few days to have information show up.

Once you have information, then you have to decide what to do about it.

Examples of problems that occur

• Customers receiving damaged or broken items
  • Customers receiving damaged packaging.
  • Customers demanding perfect packaging for collectible items (which is not guaranteed by new standards)
  • Amazon using bubble mailers instead of boxes or not packaging properly.
  • Improper seller preparation.
  • Actual defects in the product packaging.
  • Incorrect detail page information: factually inaccurate, misleading information, insufficient information

The actions you have taken to resolve the issue(s) that caused the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.

State what you have done here.

Things you could or should do.

Check existing inventory at your place of business.
Request a bin check with Amazon if the items are in FBA.
Close the listing temporarily if the issue(s) you have warrant it.
Ask your supplier about any issues.

The steps you have taken to prevent future complaints about the condition of your items.

Again once you have the information you have, what are you doing about future issues?

Do you need to change how you ship these to customers or into Amazon?
Do you need to do something to the packaging to improve it?
Do you inspect all or some percentage of your items when you receive them for defects?
Do you check the detail pages before you list an item?

Also, focus on general business practices.

Sourcing and other questions

1. Sourcing: Are you sourcing the product from a trusted supplier that sells items in condition?
  2. Listing: Is the product accurately described on Amazon? Have you ensured that there is no ambiguity and the customer is well informed?
  3. Packaging: Is the product in its original manufacturer packaging as listed on Amazon?
  4. Shipping: Have you taken all appropriate steps and quality checks to ensure that the product is stored, packed, and shipped appropriately, and will not be damaged when shipped?
  5. Review your communications, reviews, and feedback from buyers to better understand the issues.

Copy and paste these into your Plan of Action.

Answer each one directly. Yes,…

At this points, you have 3 parts to your POA.

1. Policies Amazon asked you to review. You copied and pasted them telling Amazon you reviewed each of them.

2. ASIN specific questions: what went wrong, what did you do about it, and what will you do in the future.

Do this for each ASIN in your correspondence.

1. The questions about sourcing.

Your next step is to send invoices and receipts.

If you have a different address than on your Amazon account, explain that.
If the invoice or receipt is over 365 days, state this.
Make sure you clearly explain anything that is different than you were asked.

If you need help, read this and the previous thread.

Draft your POA just like you have been advised to and include

1. The last communication from Amazon in its entirety. You must include all they sent you and the ASIN(s) affected.

2. Your last response to Amazon.

There may be reasons why all of the communications are needed.

Important things to note

1. Always send your POA in form of an email. Attachments will not be opened.

2. Expect that Amazon will call your supplier.

3. Do not use any software to modify your invoices. This will be flagged as forging an invoice.

4. Print out invoices, scan, and attach them.

5. Read everything carefully and provide what is asked.

6. If you are providing something that is different than what Amazon asks for, explain it at a level a 10 year old can understand.

7. Product condition complaints sit under the Account Health tab for 6 months and then go away.

8. You should find causes of problems, not just accept blame. If there is an issue, identify it, and deal with it. I see too many sellers who just fall on the sword and take blame. You are responsible to resolve a problem, not necessarily fall on the sword

If you know that a buyer is abusing the system, report them.

Amazon wants sellers to take their customers seriously. They want to know you are doing the things that responsible businesses do. They rightfully want sellers to pay attention to customer’s complaints (valid and invalid) and take appropriate action.

1. On the used as new complaints, you should expect to hear a response within 24-48 hours.

If your plan is accepted, you will receive a message similar to

When I appealed I got a Response:

"Hello,

We appreciate your efforts to comply with our selling policies. We have updated your account with the information that you provided.
Sincerely,
Seller Performance Team

If you need help, open your own thread.

I request that the comments here be updates or improvements to the thread or success stories.

I have had numerous sellers not read the thread and not do what is asked. This is a volunteer forum and there are people who do not like wasting their time. They will not offer help if they do not get needed information.

I have offered help with POAs previously, but cannot guarantee I can anymore. I do not take money for my time and have no interest in doing so.

I have been suspended twice from the forums and am basically not participating here anymore. I do not like how I and others are being treated and will simply spend time elsewhere.

@Oneida, @Lake, @Dogtamer, @Rushdie, @nerrad, @The_Orange_Crush

My apologies if I missed someone in the tagging here.

Tags: ASIN, Detail page, Fees, Listings, Pricing
88 replies
88 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_sUfyk7ajzPzny
In reply to: Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0's post

Another wonderful tutorial, my friend - thank you for taking your valuable time to help everyone!

I’ll tag a few more forum veterans who will spread the word of this thread: @papyrophilia, @gr8t153, @HDMS, @Iowa-Guy

ETA:
The Discourse software appears to be having difficulty properly displaying the URL for Seller University’s “Product Authenticity and Quality help” Module of the ‘Seller Performance’ Course; adding a leading space works:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/learn/courses?ref=su_courses_c12_m554&courseId=12&moduleId=554&modLanguage=English

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

I promise I will honor your wise request moving forward, but first I wanted to say thank you for sharing your time and expertise here on the Forum and particularly related to USN.

Very well said. Thank you again.

user profile
Seller_LvkARjrl08P3G

Thank you for this detailed information. I plan to do every step that you identified. I am concerned with my inventory that was affected by this because I believe that there is a defect on many of my products that may be leading to valid complaints (smudges of joining-glue on a glass surface while manufacturing).

• Most of the inventory is in a 3PL which I guess I can get individually inspected. It is a new product. I feel like this product is causing me so many problems and don’t know if I should continue to sink money into it.
  1. If I am honest with Amazon about this defect (and tell them that I will specifically have inspections done in the future to prevent this problem), will that benefit how they view this situation? Or am I just sabotaging myself by doing this? -obviously I still have inventory that is in Amazon and the 3PL which needs to be addressed because I cannot fix (inspect specifically for this issue in the future) these issues with the inventory that already exists.
    -so I don’t really know the best way to handle this situation, which leads me into my second question…

2. Should I change the product from ‘new’ to ‘used’ to give buyers a more accurate depiction of what they are getting? Lower the price? And maybe include in one of the bullets the problem that may be expected “smudges on the glass” in order to just sell through this inventory?

3. If I did this though, I would still need to sell through the inventory that I have in the 3PL. But if I sent this inventory in, would Amazon just see it as a new order and if the problems continued (even if I continued to sell the product as “used” and was descriptive about the problem in the description bullets) would they either suspend that product again or even my account?

4. Would listing the product as “used” and updating the description bullets (along with having inspections in the future specifically for this defect) even be a satisfactory solution for Amazon? With your experience would it maybe be better to just cut my losses, try to liquidate the inventory, and move on for the sake of not getting my account suspended?

I know it is a lot of questions, but thank you for any information you can provide.

user profile
Seller_5J97tqKeiHfwf
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_Knennl78rpq6K

What can I say, this is an amazing post. I had 2 back to back complaints used like new. Both were approved. Thank you!

user profile
Seller_O12E8BHFVse2f
user profile
Seller_wHmBKPtoEzWJI
user profile
Seller_wHmBKPtoEzWJI

Sure

user profile
Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0

This thread is an excellent example of someone who read this thread and executed for the first POA.

Always remember that when sending these to Amazon, they need a bullet point report (think as if you are presenting to a CEO). Amazon does not need a well written and verbose story.

Keep it to the point and simple.

user profile
Seller_84u0zwhXzWH7F
Go to original post