user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon skips using shipper box

by Seller_ja2lQ4LMtZvtM

We sell bagged pet food. The items are shipped to amazon locations six bags per box. Individual bags are sold. The bag itself is not durable enough to survive shipping without additional packaging. Whereas Amazon always previously used a shipper box now they are merely sticking a label on the bag and sending it along. Im surprised UPS even accepts this. Getting damaged returns etc like crazy and I need to make sure the items go out boxed 100% of the time. I full expect a "good luck with that" response but here's to hoping something can be done. Please let me know..

Tags: Packaging, Shipping
12 replies
12 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl
In reply to: Seller_ja2lQ4LMtZvtM's post

You have to package it yourself so that it survives the trip to Amazon, (mis)handling in the warehouse, and ultimate, unprotected ship to buyer.

Amazon will not be changing their ways at your behest. And their ways are becoming cheaper and cheaper when it comes to package protection.

Clothing is now often shipped "naked" -- i.e. in the clear cellophane package. With shipping label slapped on.

user profile
Seller_kIukTwdhvntAp

Note that @Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6blis correct.

I do NOT do FBA but everything I have seen on here for the past 15 years has said that sellers need to prep their items to survive being dropped from the Empire State Building or getting run over by a fork lift.

Basically, up until this point you have been incredibly lucky.

Amazon has gone 'minimalist' under the cover of being 'environmentally friendly'. Both of which are cover for saving money for -- yup -- AMAZON!

user profile
Seller_tpqaa8E80LdPD

I've noticed when shopping on Amazon that numerous items have a special checkbox that requests Amazon packages the item. I can't remember the wording but if you don't check it Amazon just puts a label on the manufacturer's packaging. I think the wording mentions the contents not being hidden.

If I weren't an FBA seller I probably wouldn't realize what the checkbox meant and wouldn't check it.

I don't know what the criteria is for Amazon to decide to ship in manufacturer's packaging, but I don't think sellers have any control, so the other comments are probably correct, and you'll need to add additional packaging to protect your product.

user profile
Seller_52pUzzgnsLDGs

Imagine standing on the roof of a two story house on a hill. Imagine tossing your FBA package off the roof and watching it roll end over end down the driveway. OR, imagine watching the bag split when it hits and food flies everywhere. Your FBA packages must be packaged to survive this situation. If they aren't, you are at fault. It is not Amazon's responsibility to package your products for you. YES, the warehouseman should know better and put the bag in a box, but maybe, just maybe Amazon is sick of the added expense and your items have been flagged to ship AS IS. Other sellers package correctly, you need to also.

I would suggest you get the smallest box possible so the bag does not move around and if you can't fit it in tightly, use a couple turns of pallet wrap around the bag before sticking it in the box.

user profile
Seller_HRcJa1gdGHeov

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you will need to package your items ahead of time before you send them to a FBA warehouse so they can survive their entire journey to the customer. We have found that the $$ you spend on the front end in prepping your items for the warehouse will save you more $$ on the backend in returns.

user profile
Seller_z3XfkorVSmnEY

Yes, that's super annoying. We've used FBA for over a decade. In the past, Amazon would totally protect the bag of pet food -- either in a poly bag or in a box. But, more and more we're seeing more corners cut. So, we've had to change how we prep for FBA. Sorry I don't have a real solution.

user profile
Seller_WtOwWhtSrFjva

They are using less and less packaging when because they figure they do not need it since they are delivering many orders themselves. We get lots of Amazon packages a week that are delivered by an Amazon driver. I am not sure when the last time was something came in the mail or by UPS. But you are responsible for packing so it can withstand storage shipping. Has always been this way.

user profile
Bryce_Amazon

Good afternoon @Seller_ja2lQ4LMtZvtM,

I would echo the recommendations made by other sellers here, that it would be best practice to package / prep your inventory to withstand the entire fulfillment process. I can't pinpoint exactly when or why your inventory may have started to be packaged differently (and maybe it will return), but it's probably safest to over-prepare with regard to packaging. If you need any additional pointers or guidance on this, please feel free to ask!

- Bryce

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post