user profile
Sign in
user profile

Free stuff for everyone!

by Seller_XNBHtVT45h69q

Now I see why Amazon customers are so entitled to free stuff. I'm a seller---but in this case I was an Amazon customer who bought a product by mistake and was trying to print a return label. The return was my mistake so I was willing (trying) to pay for return shipping. But rather than help me with a return label, they automatically gave me a full refund and told me to keep the item or dispose of it. I had to beg the customer service rep to let me return the unopened package.

This experience made me reflect on the perspective of buyers who sometimes feel entitled to free items or services. It became apparent to me how these situations impact our inventory and margins as sellers. When customer service doesn't prioritize the value of the merchandise we sell, it becomes challenging to maintain a fair and sustainable business.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences regarding the delicate relationship between customer service and sellers. How can we ensure that customer service understands the value of our merchandise while still maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction?

Tags: Customer, Refunds, Return shipment
136 replies
136 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_v95qqMBLFluEx
In reply to: Seller_XNBHtVT45h69q's post

A conversation of a support rep trying to give away a product in the expense of a seller for free.

I guess such conversation can only be seen on Amazon.

user profile
Seller_1owLGKvtRED7E

Although I completely agree with your opinion, and think Amazon does offer refunds much too quickly & easily, this isn't just an Amazon issue. Many major retailers (many of which are brick & mortar) offer refunds rapidly, and the merchandise they receive back gets tossed in the garbage, literally.

The manufacturers don't want to pay for return shipping or processing costs, and for them, it's cheaper to throw it in the garbage, give the retailer the credit for it, and move on. Less hassles & cost for them that way.

We have become a "profit-first" world.

I worked for Lowe's for 5 years, and I would continually see returned garden hoses by the dozens tossed into the garbage. That, and countless other items that obviously had nothing wrong with them. I tried to purchase some (as an employee!) and they refused, saying they had to contractually dispose of the merchandise, no matter the condition.

Anyway, I realize my response is a bit off-topic, but just wanted to let everyone know this isn't just Amazon that does things like this.

user profile
Seller_R2dP7Hunjcdj0

I SURE HOPE the Seller purchased postage using Amazon Buy Shipping and Shipped "On-Time", then it was only Amazon who paid for the product, not the Seller.

Here's hoping...

user profile
Seller_ArJhBa0D5u08m

Exactly! Amazon and these online venues have TRAINED customers to legally SHOPLIFT my products. There are 75 reasons for a return on here. Amazon is the ONLY place I am forced into returns. I lose $4000+ a year to Amazon returns. I make a product per order, when returned it is never in resellable condition, and if it's really bad I can only keep 50% of the money, even if it's 100% destroyed. Amazons treatment of sellers is going to be their downfall just like Ebay. As soon as another site opens up, that Bezos doesn't immediately buy out (Monopoly), many sellers will run to the new site. I know I will. These sites have created monsters for customers. Even if Amazon pays the customer, and it doesn't count against my account, they have taught the buyer to cry and whine to get free products. It's sickening to me. What I go through to KEEP what I have EARNED is the hardest part of selling on amazon. The "returnless refund" is the biggest slap in the face to sellers. Who came of with the legal shoplifting idea? Sure wasn't a seller. Each year gets more annoying as a seller on here. Between the AI bots blocking, warning me, removing listings wrongly and the ridiculous buyer perks Amazon gives customers, it's almost impossible to run my business. Especially never being able to talk to a customer. even my customers complain about not being able to contact me. Cannot have real customer service at all, and when they call Amazon, Amazon just tells em to return whatever. How Amazon got this big is beyond me, they sure didn't treat sellers this way in the beginning, or none of us would have come here from Ebay. Good luck, we all need it on here. Sad and sickening in every way.

user profile
Seller_8xUYh1bS16DvO
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_p4aHGJV2iziFh

The change is coming soon. Amazon has taken from honest sellers for years. There is nothing we can do about Amazon allowing buyers to "steal" or "rent" our products. FTC involved, the change is coming soon. Now. will it benefit the honest seller? That is yet to be seen.

user profile
Seller_VmDB28EfiWru4

I guess this is a US issue? I'm from Canada and my husband literally has Amazon package deliver daily (I don't get how he could buy so much). On the rare times that he needs to return, we always have to return and now Amazon Canada makes it so inconvenient to return (contract to a third party to come "pick up" the return item but 50% of the time is a no show, then need to contact customer service again and again and after 3rd no show, they would provide a Canada Post return label)

I think only 1% of the time we're told to keep or dispose the item (like under $5 item) and receive a full refund. However, this is probably category related? We do not purchase apparel on Amazon.

user profile
Seller_Q82xwTPpR2vtg

The cost of the item is relevant; why was this omitted?

user profile
Seller_XGeV5Iu8TOORw

Almost all returns are shipped by Amazon. We seldom get a return on anything we ship. Of course, we ship on time - the warehouse doesn't.

user profile
Seller_7ksAtfeKUR48g

I get $2000-$3000 in refunds every month.

Let me tell you why they don't want you to return it.

As for me, i usually offer refund without return bcz amz will let seller pay for return shipping fee.

And i never sell used product, so the returned package is meaningless to me. I even had to spend time and energy dealing with those returned packages.

So unless it's something very expensive, I usually don't let customers return it.

Go to original post