user profile
Sign in
user profile

Fake Organic Product Claims - HELP NEEDED

by Seller_SPi4t5ZUqdX4C

Recently we have begun to encounter FAKE USDA Certified Organic claims on Amazon. For example, this item (and many of this sellers other branded items) -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B47FCK6

This item is absolutely 100% not USDA Certified Organic, this has been verified by checking with the USDA Organic Integrity Database, placing a test order and requesting that they provide us with the certifier (which they refused to do). To the best of my knowledge the USDA doesn’t even certify this type of product as Organic (it’s not a food, textile, alcohol, or personal care item).

Because they do not list (or make available) the product’s certifier this listing is in violation of Amazon policy (listed here) which clearly states:

" To be sold, labeled, or represented as “organic” in the United States, agricultural products — whether raw or processed — must be certified to either the USDA organic regulations or to an international standard that the USDA has named as equivalent. In either case, the products must:
* Be produced according to the USDA organic requirements;
* Comply with organic labeling requirements; and
* Identify the name of the product’s certifier.”

Unfortunately these type of false Organic claims undermine the trust of our customers. When this listing was reported as a listing violation because it does not “Identify the name of the product’s certifier” no action was taken.

Can you please help us to better understand how to address this with Amazon? Is there a specific key phrase or channel that this needs to be reported through?

Thank you for your time!

Tags: Compliance, Listings
2K views
64 replies
64 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_atnk8fSvVuoeY
In reply to: Seller_SPi4t5ZUqdX4C's post

The listing shows the USDA organic certification seal which I believe Amazon will only show if the seller has provided them with the certification. Sellers cannot add this to a listing on their own.

user profile
Seller_OxjIxwlMmwmlP

This seller needed to provide proper documentation to Amazon to get this on their listing.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Amazon does not rely on seller reports to police its site.

It relies on regulatory agencies, product manufacturers and its buyers as well as its bots to police the site.

You are wasting your time.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

You can always lodge a complaint (if your allegation is accurate) with the DOJ. That would be in violation of numerous Federal Statutes.

user profile
Seller_5QyzSPEaLw9e7
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_egRC2xE2AJbXj

It says the sage in it is organic. Spices certainly can be certified organic.

As others pointed out too, the organic and climate friendly tags were also added by Amazon to the ASIN which does not happen without the brand owner or seller that created the ASIN submitting certificates.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

As a side note, I find the term organic annoying. Organic has an actual definition: “relating to or derived from living matter.” Virtually all food should qualify as organic. And I think the way some people use the word is really false and misleading.

Why can’t the people that don’t believe in better living through chemistry use a more accurate descriptor, like “Cultivated medievally”?

user profile
Seller_Pu3JPxgOXNV8T

We private label from a certified USDA Handler in a SQF Certified Facility. We hold their certificate, If you look up our name, you will not find the information you are looking for because we did not file for the USDA certificate our supplier did, we do have a copy however of our suppliers Certificate, but it’s not mandatory for me to show it to you. Since Amazon has approved that sellers listing and that seller provided the proper paperwork needed to list that item in the condition it is listed in, I say leave them alone and worry about your own listings.

user profile
Seller_DAW4g8yhBSNgq

This doesn’t appear to be about selling on Amazon.

user profile
Seller_jFgDhPn8WVl8r

“counterfeit” organic claim was a key word in something similar

Go to original post