user profile
Sign in
user profile

New MFN meltable product shipping policy

by News_Amazon

Due to an increase in customer complaints related to melted products, we will implement a new meltable product shipping policy on September 21, 2022 for meltable seller-fulfilled products.

The meltable product shipping policy is designed to protect the customer experience by ensuring heat-sensitive products (including but not limited to chocolate, gummies, and select jelly- and wax-based products) are received in a satisfactory condition.

When this policy goes into effect, if you receive multiple melted product complaints, we may remove your offer and suspend or deactivate your Amazon selling account (and any related accounts).

Amazon products must maintain quality standards when exposed to high temperatures (75 to 155°F) to protect product integrity during storage and shipping.

To see a list of meltable ASINs, download the Meltable ASINs (Excel).

For more information, see Changes to program policies.

Tags: News and Announcements
3.4K views
62 replies
62 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_2sSWhvyZsq56v
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Amazon itself sells chocolate & candles.

When many areas are in the triple digits will Amazon apply this policy to themselves?

Or it another - do as we say not as we do?

user profile
Seller_3NvT4P2ouRoEb

Amazon should implement some common sense. I.E. not allow sales of meltables to south florida, arizona, etc.

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

CURRENT MELTABLE POLICY:

So…Amazon isn’t changing the date range or the temperatures, correct? Just adding that meltable violations are now suspendable?

CHANGE:

user profile
Seller_Ggt6s7zXEwLbA

155 DEGREES

How about putting some AC in the warehouses and delivery trucks. People have to work in those conditions too.

user profile
Seller_nFTkSpSAvpyNJ

remove the offer ok, is fair, but deactivate your Amazon selling account doesn`t make sense. there is a lot of variables out of control. If I, as a customer, that lives in Miami, purchase a chocolate in summer, i know the risk. it is shared.

as a seller a cannot block this chocolate only to florida, i don`t have this option.

user profile
Seller_Ggt6s7zXEwLbA

Curious - is there any container that will keep chocolate from melting in 155 degrees? (A container that allows chocolate to still be sold at something less than $100 per bar)

Seems to me this is Amazon’s fault and Amazon’s problem. But there is an easy fix: don’t store chocolate at 155 degrees.

And … don’t store ice cream at 155 degrees either.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

I am glad they are going by each seller. If I can receive steak delivered to my door from Omaha, I am sure someone can figure out a way to get chocolate or whatever delivered also.

With the newish local program, it could be done even easier.

user profile
Seller_f2eqRcDSJkHxg

I think Amazon needs to be balanced in its expectations.

Why not also make shipping and handling flexible for these products, where sellers can set only next day shipping for meltables?

To have the seller assume ALL liability with no flexibility is unfair. One can ship with all the ice packs and thermal insulation, but if the client does NOT immediately receive the item, and leaves it out in the scorching heat, it would take ICE MAN to prevent melting.

Isn’t there a reason why grocery deliveries always ask you to immediately receive and freeze your perishables?

user profile
Seller_7rNklHYkq1IwY

This is very interesting, especially the attached Excel spreadsheet, which just a list of 447,743 ASIN only. No Titles, Descriptions or other details, just ASIN. I guess somehow we are supposed to cross-reference this with our available inventory?

Next, why is this provided only within a spreadsheet? Why isn’t “meltable” a visible and/or editable field within Seller Central? Why aren’t we able to query our own storefront for “meltable” products? I don’t really need to be familiar or concerned with >400,000 listings. I just need to know which products we are selling that might be on this naughty list that only exists between April and October.

Amazon is a data company that promotes its marketplace as “friendly” to small businesses. So please be “friendly” and proactively provide the tools and reports that help us identify and manage our “meltable” inventory so we can delight our mutual customers, rather than just threaten 3rd Party Sellers with an account suspension or deactivation. Pretty please?

user profile
Seller_ibgQ1AKeCqjs0

We package in insulated packaging, with ice packs, and cannot exclude people lacking common sense from ordering. The melting point on darker chocolate can get upward of 110 to 130 degrees though I safely say 100 degrees with proper packaging. I still get a million complaints that magically never use the return label or escalate the issue or will message back, never mind when provided anything besides an instant refund. We cannot do anything with the product but, we can reduce the scamming with a return.

I have test shipped so many orders to so many states including Texas, Arizona and Florida. My point is, I know how one of our items can melt with and without package neglect just based on trial and error. I also know that 9 times out of 10 if brought inside within a few hours of direct sun exposure in Texas the packaging is adequate. Amazon will never have the resources to know this information to determine the likelihood of damage. They will never look up the weather of every transit zip code when trying to assist a customer. There will always be a melter here and there due to circumstances like delayed delivery or vacation hold but there is no way to prove the damage and a manufacture’s invoice does not defend here like it does with expiration dates ( sometimes.)

How are we proving the product was melted on arrival and not left outside for days on end, how does a seller defend against a false claim? This feels like such a he said she said situation with very serious repercussions. I feel like this can easily spiral if one person makes a tik-tok on it.

I believe our product should arrive intact and make my best effort to do so however, I cannot stop someone persistent enough to get something for free on Amazon and this concerns me.

Go to original post