user profile
Sign in
user profile

Customer Bought Item and Put Old Tool in Return Box

by Seller_nVwxi7Iy49BZU

Good afternoon,

We sell ASIN B007IAO62I which costs anywhere from $950-$1100 each. This item is a tool. We have a customer who recently bought a new one from us and returned it. When we opened the return we noticed the customer put his old damaged tool in the case and shipped it back. We track all the serial numbers on the tools and the serial number did not match the box that he shipped back to us, nor do we have record of having this serial number. Do we have any course of action? On smaller items we dont worry about it but this customer practically stole a $1000 tool. Customer order: Order Item ID: 95923661587881

Tags: FBA
28 replies
28 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_OvL8C4BJWiuS9
In reply to: Seller_nVwxi7Iy49BZU's post

Can you check "materially different" and charge a 100% restocking fee?

user profile
Seller_qTJiCxRI8PpIZ

Check "Materially different" and charge a 100% restocking fee if you are FBM. But I would make sure you have all of the information you may need to prove the item is materially different, in the off chance the buyer tries to hit you with a AtoZ.

user profile
Seller_5qsMjbkKfkOFn

No way would i sell a 1000 dollar tool on amazon

user profile
Seller_GadA3HeUIWJ3J

This issue is more frequently every day. In the last week we had 3 cases. I made multiple attempts to charge a restocking fee but they did not go through. I started with a 95% then 94%, etc. It finally was succesful after 8 attempts but I only could charge a 80% restocking fee.

user profile
Seller_ErJ3Ox7hqQxtl

I would contact the authorities, this is fraud and if they used the mail then mail fraud.

user profile
Seller_hO5cj7MyXKHuq

file a Switcheroo claim:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/seller-forums/discussions/t/7f12574e-9ccd-4d80-9579-54de11402fe7?postId=7f12574e-9ccd-4d80-9579-54de11402fe7

user profile
Seller_Zc9Y2xguxQv8V
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_XjolGGpui9INo

Yes challenge the return. Take pictures of the return and the labels on the box. Take a picture of the new tool. Make notes on the pictures "new", " old/return". Very important, when you challenge the return make sure you include the serial number difference.

The type of Buyer who would return a used tool in place of the tool, will challenge any deduction you take on the return, so at some point you will need to fight back. Unfortunately, this happens to us a lot. Buyers buy our product to replace the product they have that stopped working. The Buyer then sends back the used product and expects a 100% credit, which they had never purchased from our company.

Good luck!

user profile
Seller_PV2UraPU6GhYx

Hello, Seller

Probably you were a target for this situation, mostly the scammers buy small stuff and wait to see what is the seller's reaction, if you do not escalate they come to know you really do not take any actions to protect your business then they just wait to strike big, my suggestion is report them to IC3.gov, and place a report police at the local police station from the buyer's address for the item shipped. I hope you can get your products or money back, just keep in mind when we do not report this kind of problem to law enforcement, we are just incentivizing this scammer to go bigger and bigger. It's disturbing to see on TikTok and IG videos from these people showing how to scam sellers on Amazon.

user profile
Seller_8nJHqEBSmsG44

We had sold a device priced at $1499 through Amazon FBA. However, upon receiving the returned package from the Amazon warehouse, we found that the product inside was completely different from the one we had originally sold. The item we received back was of significantly lower value, and even a pot.

Go to original post