user profile
Sign in
user profile

USPS is now giving me trouble about mailing packages from home

by Seller_BnKqB1Lv72mD8

The post man just informed me that I cannot use a business name when shipping my items from my apartment. I ship a few items almost every day from home because, well, I’m HOME! Has anyone ever heard anything like this? He said I “might need to get a special meter to get my stamps on there.” There are so many things wrong here I don’t know where to begin. I’m SFP, so I have to buy shipping from Amazon, and what does it matter what the return address says on a shipment?

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? This is one problem I really do not need right now.

Tags: Shipping
269 replies
269 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S
In reply to: Seller_BnKqB1Lv72mD8's post

If you are shipping Priority or Express mail I do think they have to provide you free pickup even from your home.

user profile
Seller_defGzhD7F428Q

Nonsense. I ship from home all the time. There are no restrictions. You put in for a pickup, they must pickup.
If you do a decent volume, you can get a USPS rep who will at least make sure these carriers do the right thing.

user profile
Seller_1VqWUQM8rfgn8

Just continue to ship and if they do not pick up escalate. We had similar issues on the scan sheet. Sounds like a lazy postman to me.

user profile
Seller_ujScHTwvcsrwf

i feel like my carrier is annoyed i put packages in my mailbox. I may not know until the morning of that I need to ship a package so pickup is not always an option.

My general rule is I don’t ship anything out that I can’t fit in my mailbox. More than that, and I drive up to the post office and drop it off.

Not sure what the official rules are regarding this…years back another carrier was giving me a hard time about giving her Priority Mail Packages…

user profile
Seller_L43BgFfu7aWdr

Sounds like you have a lazy mail carrier who doesn’t like the additional packages he has to pick up from you.

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

Your post man may actually be wanting a “Scan Form” which you can now get from Amazon.

user profile
Seller_lQHjt0qJ4GZRm

If you’re shipping from a different zip code than the one on your packages, USPS doesn’t like it because their local post office doesn’t get credit for the shipments. It’s frowned upon, but I would hesitate to say it’s against their rules. I had this issue once when another customer was shipping tons of packages using another zip code and my small town post office assumed it was me because I ship so much (it wasn’t). They checked my packages in front of me and explained why.

user profile
Seller_1718bmvkX3RkM

When I moved to my office, I had yet to change my address to my new office address. Therefore when they picked up my packages from my office, they still had my home address on the label. I was also asked about this. I wondered why, but I went ahead and changed the address. USPS is crazy.

user profile
Seller_Ve1oyxgXsxGMC

We had some issues with this, but not from a home, from a business. What we figured out works is to go online and set up a pick up every day for packages. If you do 5 packages once or twice per week, set up the pick up for 5/day. This gives the pick up driver an allotment for 5/day and he/she will be happy.

user profile
Seller_wX3Ya4eA8Mkrz

It doesn’t matter what your return address is, as long as the “ship from” zip code on the label is the post office that picks up your mail, your mail carrier seems to be just a little bit lazy apparently.

Just a quick suggestion, set up a po box at your post office and use that as your return address (Around $50 per year). You don’t need too many people out there to know where you live.

Go to original post