Updates to Selling Policies and Seller Code of Conduct

Effective November 26, 2021, the Selling Policies and Seller Code of Conduct will be updated to include language explicitly prohibiting price fixing and search rank manipulation. The Amazon Seller Code of Conduct requires acting fairly, and prohibits any form of conduct that violates price fixing laws, or engages in the manipulation of sales rank. We welcome and encourage coupons, discounts, deals, and other tools to lower prices for customers and drive incremental sales. However, consider it a violation of the Amazon Seller Code of Conduct to attempt influencing the search results by inflating search ranking through keyword manipulation or incentivizing customers’ searches to appear as organic behavior.

We would like to remind sellers that you are responsible for the actions taken by your account, even those handled through third-party service providers. Sellers who may not have understood this policy previously should end these practices immediately, as they are in violation of the Amazon Seller Code of Conduct.

Find out more about this policy on the Selling Policies and Seller Code of Conduct help page.

Un-Authorized Sellers

Anyone else getting a blank screen with the links provided?

Excuse me but is that really necessary? After all both of those are sort of Federal crimes, aren’t they?

I wish it read, more like this “Sellers who may not have understood this policy previously will be permanently suspended and reported to Federal Law Enforcement immediately, as they are in violation of the Amazon Seller Code of Conduct.”

Correct URL - https://sellercentral.amazon.com/help/hub/reference/G1801

You’ve left out “/hub/”

Thank you @Oneida for being more valuable than any 200 Amazon employees (excluding Jeff & Andy, maybe). I hope Amazon sends you a Christmas Card at the very least for all you do for them.

Thanks @The_Sawle_Mill and @Oneida. I’ll get those links fixed.

I did get one a good while back. the latest gift I got was a t-shirt.

:blush:

No price fixing but the Amazon ‘Fair Market Pricing Policy’ is still causing our listings to be inactive. Even with other sellers selling at a higher price. Hm.

Yes, blank screen for us.

Have to format as @Lake indicated.

And should continue, “Will be dealt with severely including possible suspension with loss of funds in accordance with the terms of our Amazon Seller Agreement.”

And should have teeth, “We will actually investigate this abuse and take immediate action.”

Sorry but, look at how the feedback manipulation continues day after day. The coupon or Amazon Gift card scam goes on and on. To say nothing of the inserts to push customers to the sellers website for XX% off. Though, I guess, at least that one does not manipulate search results.

Filing Infringement Notices as an Agent or Brand Protection Agency

Amazon understands that many brands may choose to have brand protection agencies or agents report intellectual property infringement on their behalf and accepts submissions from authorized agents. However, Amazon does not permit individuals with active selling accounts to file infringement notices as an agent of a brand when the filing of those notices could benefit their own selling account (through removing competing listings, for example). Any sellers filing notices as an agent to benefit their own status as a seller may have their selling account terminated.

This is going to come as a bit of a nasty surprise to a lot of Sellers.

Circumventing the Sales Process

You may not attempt to circumvent the Amazon sales process or divert Amazon customers to another website. This means that you may not provide links or messages that prompt users to visit any external website or complete a transaction elsewhere.

This means that you may not provide links or messages that prompt users to visit any external website This is, if Amazon really means what they wrote is going to be an issue for a lot of Sellers.

this means that you must use a business name that accurately identifies your business

I guess if your in the PRC and choose “America’s Best” for your business, brand, or screen name better hustle changing to something more appropriate.

While Amazon shouldn’t have had to spell all this out, I like it!

thumbs-up thumbs-up

ikr … some items i had [ cost more now - then toss in shipping and seller fees ] one item - costs me close to $27. to sale and ship it [ in a flat rate padded env ] but - fair market will not let it be listed a penny over $15 … [ so i deleted the listing - and tossed it up on a diff platform ] and this is before the new seller fees even kick in jan 22

Hmmm, I wonder what’s the latest lawsuit that’s prompting all this?

Amazon reminds everyone price fixing is illegal, but it only applies if you’re not Amazon :joy::rofl:

Y E S spell it out! Shout it loud(ly)! :raised_hands:

:thinking: If you mean the part about who can/can’t file infringement claims, that language has been there for a while–but I don’t recall an announcement for it like this, so yeah, it might be a surprise, but it shouldn’t be. :unamused:

With this policy, you may think that sales from advertisements given to external sources are also manipulated, how should we prevent this?

I find this amusing in a grotesque way. Isn’t the definition of price fixing conspiring to artificially set prices? Amazon is the king of price fixing, isn’t it?

(NC_Amazon_Mod: removed false content)

Kind of. Colgate covers most of their manipulation though.

United States v. Colgate & Co., 250 U.S. 300 (1919)
(NC_Amazon: edit outside link)

So (for REAL example) when I’m blocked by Amazon for selling @ $12.91 But other sellers higher are allowed to sell, is this what you envisioned with your “Fair Pricing Policy”?

error

Our internal team has reviewed your ASIN XXXXXXXX and we’ve found the following:

We see that the listing does not meet our marketplace fair pricing policy. Amazon constantly reviews pricing information for potential pricing errors to ensure customers are consistently presented with fair prices. Amazon regularly monitors the prices of items in our store, including shipping costs, and compares them with other prices such as average price, Featured Offer price, competitive prices, among other criteria.

If a product is not priced fairly or creates a negative customer experience, Amazon reserves the right to not feature that offer or display it in our store.

We all know Amazon controls the search. People who want our products can’t even find them with all the junk amazon tries to put ahead of us on the search that has nothing to do with the search.

Yes, only Amazon is allowed to price fix.

What that really means is that they check the Walmart price and want us to be lower than that…