user profile
Sign in
user profile

Requesting USPS Missing Package Search

by Seller_ZJ3BZIjje5nbn

I just filed USPS missing package search and requested the package to send back to me since I refunded the buyer. Does anyone have experience of getting packages back after requesting missing package search?

Tags: Missing
22 replies
22 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_XSqPquQH4FvW1
In reply to: Seller_ZJ3BZIjje5nbn's post

Sometimes a missing package complaint will get the package moving again, if it hasn’t just disappeared. Do you have tracking info?

user profile
Seller_jSTMew9JJ4EO8

Yes I have… unfortunately a very low success rate, and if found, it is usually after about a month.

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

I have filed 12 search requests, via USPS Missing Mail Searches, since 02/16/2017.

5 Expired, 6 were Cancelled, 1 Active (ironically, a purchase, from Amazon Warehouse Deals).

Searches were “Cancelled”, because it was useless, to wait any longer and refunded the buyer.

In all those cases, after 30 - 45 days, the parcel was still delivered to the buyer, even though, I specifically requested, the parcel be returned to the sender.

The 5 that “Expired”, were never resolved - just walked off into a USPS sunset.

I rate the service: 0 out of 10. It’s useless and they pay no attention to requests to have found parcels, returned to the Sender.

user profile
Seller_oO12enilQKTRg

IF you shipped Priority Mail (or if you purchased usps insurance), you can file an insurance claim on usps. com for a lost package after 15 days and before 60 days of the shipping date.

user profile
Seller_Hz2kbesR7JANj

I have filed a dozen or so. No luck on any coming back to me. (two were eventually delivered to recipient, months later though)…

user profile
Seller_C7OBTwSDPTmqK

I just had one stuck in a Chicago DC for 2+ weeks .
I went to my branch had them look into it. The package then moved and got to the buyer a few days later.

user profile
Seller_UaR1MrzMZFbVf

In my 20 years experience with USPS, having at least one package lost per year…they have no idea where it went, or it is sent to their dumping ground for lost packages in Beth Haven, PA. Once it is lost, it might just as well have dropped off the edge of the earth…it will never be recovered and it isn’t a USPS priority to look for it.

user profile
Seller_ADSpSELQ5dOvX

If it is found it will just continue on delivery and they will send to customer
I wouldnt of refunded until i at least heard back from post office or several additional days went by

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

My experience is limited since USPS rarely loses my shipments.

But if your post master cannot track the package through their system which tacks the boxes and bags mail moves in, it cannot be found.

The 800 number throws the problem back to your postmaster, and the postmasters hate it. I recommend asking your postmaster for help before you call the 800 number.

user profile
Seller_6EjZjGPIcP9Mf

I have filed at least a dozen of these missing mail searches and have never received so much as a response, except for the canned response they periodically send to try to convince you that they are working on it. I guess it can’t hurt to submit one but up until now it’s never worked for us.

Go to original post