Quick Tips From Amazon - Variations

variations
quicktipsfromamazon

Variations

Definition: This post covers how to make updates to Variations on detail pages. Variations refer to a set of items that are the same product, but differ according to a consistent theme, for example size and color. Sellers can reference the following video and FAQ to create and make updates to Variations: Variation Relationship FAQ

Variating ASINs:

Variation Wizard allows sellers to add or update existing variation families and to create a new variation family. The Variation Wizard is located in Seller Central under Menu > Inventory > Manage Inventory > click Add Variation on the right-hand side. To create a new Variation Family, generate a category template with the Product Classifier. Then Upload your Inventory File and monitor your upload status.

Un-Variating ASINs:

If you accidentally Variate ASINs together, use the Split Product Detail Page Self Service Tool to remove the variation.

Why are my Variations breaking?

To troubleshoot Variations breaking, leverage this, Determine Variations for your Product, and then contact seller support if there is not a resolution. Common issues that break variations are listed below:

• Are the products the same brand, product type, and category?
  • Do the products vary only in a few, specific ways that do not alter the core essence and nature of the item (such as color or size)?
  • Does the variation attribute contain more than one product characteristic?
  • Did you add the appropriate variation value to the product title?

Note: When multiple sellers sell the same product through a single detail page, Amazon combines and presents the best product data to ensure customers get the best experience. This suggests that others sellers can change variation families. If you believe a bad actor has manipulated a variation family, such as by adding an invalid product or removing a valid product, contact seller support.

Why Variations are helpful:

Variations help to curate an easier and comprehensive customer experience. If products are variated, all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page, it can help to drive glance views, and ensure customers have the right information to make a purchase decision.

Tip: Variation updates can take up to 2 hours to reflect on the product page. When deleting a Child ASIN from a variation, it can take up to 24 hours. If variation updates do not appear on the detail page after that duration, contact seller support.

Helpful Links & Resources:

Variation Relationship FAQ – additional helpful links on the left hand side of this page

Broken Variation Reasons

Parent – Child Relationships

Add a Product to Create Variations

About the Quick Tips category
Imagine an Amazon Tool
Amazon introduces Quick Tips & Engage with Amazon on the Seller Forums
Same ASIN under different child listings?
Creating Variantions Product
Color variation for strand/wrap bracelets
New variation problems
Parent, Child
Problems with parent and child ASINs
GTIN Exemption Not working
New Binding Option for Book Listing
Replacing a product with exactly the same product but bigger format - can i keep the reviews from the old one for the new one?
How to create a listing with variations using existing listings as variations?
pinned globally #8

We have noticed recently that a catalog pages product reviews are being split. This on long time brand listings that had the reviews combined, sometimes for years. What is the solution to getting back to, “all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page” thank you in advance.

Great, just great. No mention of the policy that for multi-packs, variation has to be a manufacturer created multi-pack.

I guess I will be seeing many invalid variations again this week to deal with :frowning:

Would also like an explanation as to why upc’s for variations do not have to be GS1 and match product. This would hep prevent many invalid variations from being created.

Hi @ImageAbility,

I did some research and I noticed you do not have a Seller Support case opened for this issue yet. Would you be willing to open a case so I can get more information? Thank you!

Hi @Shadow,

Feel free to DM me more information for clarity here. I would love to help if I can!

True, we actually try to avoid opening cases. We most often look for workarounds or to fix it on our own.

I would be happy to open one, we are all shipping here right now, I will be sure to do so first thing in the morning, with full details.

I have opened over 20 cases for this in the past months. The answer is, there is no answer. I just gave up. I have loaded flat files, I have talked to many a seller support person. They all thought they had a fix but it didn’t fix anything.

Hi @ImageAbility,

I will DM you to follow up, thanks!

Yes, thus the statement I issued to Beth. We do try to fix on our own and give up if we can not. The old “Tired of kissing frogs” position.

However I saw a ray of hope, when they made the statement, “all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page” this gave us hope.

That it is codified and should happen, therefore resulting that our breakups are in error.

I was also impressed at Amazonian Beth’s energy and willingness to help.

We did open a case, the following canned response came in.

“If we detect unusual review behavior for a product, we may place limits on reviews or the sharing of reviews for related products.”

Now being the last boy scout, and knowing that our family brand has never broken the rules or even bent the rules, I asked Beth in a PM…

Are they accusing us of manipulating the reviews?

We have not, nor would we ever, manipulate the reviews on our products.

I am always astonished at how Amazon thinks they are making things ‘easier’. :roll_eyes:

Variations help to curate an easier and comprehensive customer experience. If products are variated, all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page, it can help to drive glance views, and ensure customers have the right information to make a purchase decision.

… help to drive “glance views”. Seriously? Glance views??
… curate an “easier and comprehensive” experience. :woman_facepalming: I’ve never once said to myself, gee, I wish my experience could be more comprehensive. I wish someone would curate that for me. Can’t Amazon just speak English? Plain old, everyday, understood-by-everybody English? Small words. Simple thoughts.

… If products are variated
…To troubleshoot Variations breaking, leverage this… Leverage?? Apparently, you didn’t take the same business writing class that I did. Don’t use big or fancy words when small or simple ones will do. All that does is make you look like a show-off, and confuses half your audience. When attempting to give written help, confusing your audience is BAD.

Variation Wizard allows sellers to add or update existing variation families and to create a new variation family.

I’m pretty good with variations, but always create them manually. I’ve never understood how the Variation Wizard helps you create variations. I use it to identify the parent of a particular variation family, but that’s all.

To create a new Variation Family, generate a category template with the Product Classifier.

Or just create one manually. WAY easier, IMO.

If you accidentally Variate ASINs together

Please stop using “variate” as a verb. To delete a child, simply open the parent for editing, choose the child, and click delete. Easy peasy.

I would recommend doing a “full update” via flatfile on all children & parent ASIN to ‘refresh’ the listings.
If this doesn’t work, try deleting the parent ASIN & recreating the variation under a new parent.

I had your exact issue happen a few months ago, and that was the solution SAS Core gave me.

We will give this a try, we are in the middle of a product line launch right now, I appreciate the idea.

The Amazonian did say, "“If we detect (they did detect) unusual review behavior for a product, we may place limits on reviews or the sharing of reviews for related products.”

Now this makes no sense to us as we know it was not something we did. Even so when we have time we will analyze the content of the product feedback to look for trends.

Just amazes us all the obvious gaming of feedback manipulation that goes on all day every day. With no investigation or action taken.

I wouldn’t take that reply to heart, I suspect that is one of many pre-made answers support reps are able to choose from when replying to a ticket about reviews. If you’re not manipulating reviews then you have nothing to worry about.

When the reviews from my children ASINs were being split away from the parent, the causation turned out to be an automated category change on one of the children or parent ASINs. That caused the bots to see the variation in 2 different categories and thus fragmented the reviews.

Good luck on your product launch & fixing the old listing!

That is an interesting data point for us to all know about.

I am sure this is a method to keep the black hats from nefariously combining children to create a page with hundreds of (fake) reviews.

I want to second this. The bots are f’ing things up again, and I noticed an obnoxious problem related to this in one of my variation familes the other day. VERY annoying.

I created a small family, just two children and put it in the category where it properly belonged. Amazon came along and changed the category for just the parent to something having to do with jewelry or pins. When I open the parent listing, I get this message -

Now, this is completely stupid, because I created the listing from scratch myself, just a few days ago. It’s a generic bundle, created with a GTIN exemption, therefore, there’s no UPC in the system to tie the product to any other product that Amazon might be trying to match it against. The matching error, as I’m sure you know, but other readers may not, typically occurs when you try to create a new listing, using a UPC for an existing listing that Amazon found in its catalog. The item, naturally, has nothing whatsoever to do with either apparel or pins and I certainly did not enter ‘Apparel Pin’ anywhere in the listing.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Amazon has taken it upon themselves to CHANGE the parent listing to a WRONG category, thus causing this stupid error and a big headache for me if I wanted to change the parent. I assume if I were concerned about reviews, the category mismatch between the parent and the children would mess that up too.

Thankfully, Amazon’s stupid bots have only f***ed messed up the parent, and left the children alone, so no harm done to the listings. The only problem would be if I needed to edit the parent, which I don’t. Or if Amazon comes along some day and decides to F’up the children too.

Geez, I wish Amazon would pull their head out of their B U T T. :angry:

Variations are one of the most complex things in Amazon.

The problem is: If I accidentally made a mistake, it’s most likely irreversible. Fine, open a help ticket. The seller support nowadays (unlike 7 years ago) usually doesn’t have a clue. Usually they end up deleting the ASIN including the reviews. It’s just disaster.

closed #24

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.