Prime Day 2021: Promotion to support small business brands

From June 7 to 20, 2021, Amazon will offer customers the opportunity to earn a credit to spend on Prime Day 2021.

Investing in the success of small business is a fundamental part of our work at Amazon and we know that customers share our commitment to supporting small businesses in their communities.

Prime members who spend 10 USD on eligible products from small business brands will get a 10 USD promotional credit, funded by Amazon. On Prime Day the credit can be used to purchase products from businesses of all sizes.

If your products are included in the promotion, you will receive an email on June 7 with a link to view your promotion-eligible products.

For more information on eligibility, go to our Prime Day Small Business Brands Promotions FAQ.

To learn more about the promotion, click here.

Intereesting

"# Small And Midsize Business (SMB)

A small and midsize business (SMB) is a business that, due to its size, has different IT requirements — and often faces different IT challenges — than do large enterprises, and whose IT resources (usually budget and staff) are often highly constrained.

For the purposes of its research, Gartner defines SMBs by the number of employees and annual revenue they have. The attribute used most often is number of employees; small businesses are usually defined as organizations with fewer than 100 employees; midsize enterprises are those organizations with 100 to 999 employees.

The second most popular attribute used to define the SMB market is annual revenue: small business is usually defined as organizations with less than $50 million in annual revenue; midsize enterprise is defined as organizations that make more than $50 million, but less than $1 billion in annual revenue."

Also I notice our invitation is from “Amazon Services Europe no-reply@sell.amazon.com.” We only sell in North America. Does this mean this promotion only applies to our products in countries where we don’t sell them? That would be one of the more Amazony things I could think of.

Got to wonder how many items we will see “Ships from US Seller” in this promotion. I mean, when the Chinese company has the business registered in the US with one person, I guess that will be the excuse.

It is a nice offer. And it is free (I believe).
No need to be snarky when Amazon does something good.

No need to be snarky when Amazon does something good.

I think the point some are making is that Amazon loves to pat itself on the back for “helping small businesses.” The problem is that MOST of those small businesses are NOT US small businesses.

“47% of new sellers in January 2020 and 41% of new sellers in January 2019 are based in China. This percentage has grown to 63% in 2021.” -ecommercetimes

how is this “small”?

Right up until your products are successful, then they make an Amazon Basics version. Thanks for designing and market testing products for us, small businesses!

Does anyone know if there is something that we can share on social media.

The email I received says

Highlight your small business by sharing the Spend $10, Get $10 promotion with customers on social media during the promotional period.

Use the hashtag #SupportSmallwithAmazon on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to join the conversation.

I cannot find any graphics or advertising to share.

I disagree

I am excited about this promo if it actually only includes US based businesses even if the revenue requirement is 50 million (I think we might qualify :laughing:…just barely by about 50 million). It will be interesting to see if there is an impact on sales.

Maybe it is paving the way for a permanent marker on the listing that it is a US based business. Although shortly after that happens, overseas sellers will find a way around the rules and just have a 1 person company in the US that is funded overseas and all of the profits are sent back offshore but maybe it would be nice for a little while

how is this “small”?

Agreed. Apparently small business can still be very big. But still classified as such by not being what we would think of as a mega biz or corporation. Some lists say less than 500 employees, or in some cases 1500 employees. SBA (small biz administration) says no more than 6 million retail sales. Still sounds like a lot but I guess depends on your employees and expenses. Retail would cost more than online. Small business seems to cast a very wide net.

Perhaps most here surprised at the numbers are micro biz. Which has odd definitions too. Vermont for example says less than 5 employees and 25k annually. How in the world could you pay 4 employees with less than 25k? Others say 9 employees and 250k. Again, how could you have 9 full time employees at 250k sales?

small business is usually defined as organizations with less than $50 million in annual revenue; midsize enterprise is defined as organizations that make more than $50 million, but less than $1 billion in annual revenue

This promotion sounds good till it’s understood just about any vendor on AMZ falls within the annual revenues set by Gartner.

The blue lives murder shirts are in very bad taste and Amazon should not allow it.

But it is a completely different matter.

Your commenting about that on this post is not very helpful.

Of course you can disagree…

You have all the right to disagree. And you don’t owe any explanation. But I am wondering why?

Amazon is doing plenty to make sellers not love them.

But I don’t see a reason to berate them when they do good.

Excuse me I do not mean to offend, but who whos commenting on that matter? I gave an example of a product that Amazon has stated is perfectly acceptable. Its literally no different than if I had given the example of purchasing grass seeds. How could anyone, including Amazon, be mad that I use an example of a product which has been vetted and approved thoroughly.

Sounds too good to be true. All Amazon did these years are trash real US-based sellers and support Chinese fake sellers.

Amazon is all about spin and plausible deniability. Too often, when they claim to do good, it’s backhanded evil. It is hard, on the surface, to find out what the underlying motivation is here, but I suspect that widening the base of sellers by sprinkling the sales around allows them to tighten the thumb screws on all 3PS (see the rash of new and seller-hostile policies broken in ways that make Amazon more money), or as a “see, we love small sellers, we are not a crushing juggernaut putting mom&pop’s around the good-ol USofA out of business” gesture when the regulators come knocking (in the same way they took the results from the “woman owned business survey” that a lot of sellers boycotted to imply that most sellers are women, therefore, Amoron Prime (Mr. B) is a good, woman-loving human being).

The fact that the company is sufficiently opaque that I can’t see – in this one case – that this is in the long run more for Amazon’s benefit than mine does not make me think this isn’t one more brick in the wall of Amazon ultimately WalMart’ing the entire internet, and putting exactly the kind of sellers they are ostensibly supporting here out of business. If you want to make me feel that’s misguided, please provide a definition of “small business” that isn’t mostly “Chinese sellers” and/or convince me that “supporting small businesses in their communities” is co-equal to buying from e-comm businesses selling online nationwide, largely out of Amazon’s warehouses. Buying on Amazon is the OPPOSITE of “supporting small businesses in our communities” as far as I’m concerned.

This will also lead to a bump in Prime Day sales as people try to spend these credits. Amazon can barely (if even) handle the load on Prime Day, but I bet they will overlook the extra hiccups and use the Prime Day figures in a soon-to-come announcement about you had better FBA if you want a piece of the pie.

Yeah, there’s some speculation in this diatribe, but I can’t see how you would conclude that Amazon cares a rat’s arse about you if you’ve been here long enough, or why you would implicitly trust anything they claim or appear to claim. It’s not about you.

While we are down 500 listing because Amazon decided to remove the NEW category on McFarlane Toys and on Sports Funko Pops which on the Funko amazon does not allow sellers to sell under collectible because at this time they are currently not accepting applications. So kill 1000’s of listings on products small businesses sell leaving more sold by Amazon listings to be purchased during that day how convenient Eh.

I couldn’t agree more. Shame on Amazon.