user profile
Sign in
user profile

N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC) now a Restricted Product on Amazon

by Seller_mZlwS8hcPpVJQ

N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC), a dietary supplement, has been flagged as a “drug-only active ingredient” on Amazon.

Several of our listings have been flagged for product compliance policy issues and product detail pages taken down.

It seems some FDA warning letters sent during summer 2020 to several “hangover cure” products which contained NAC have made it to the ranks of Amazon policy bots. Despite NAC being listed on CRN’s ODI list, it seems it is now a restricted product.

A friendly “heads up” to other supplement sellers active on this forum.

Tags: Compliance, Detail page, Listings, Pricing, Restricted Products
39 replies
39 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_fGluy2Rns9Cfx
In reply to: Seller_mZlwS8hcPpVJQ's post

That’s got to be an 8 figure product on Amazon…

no joke

user profile
Seller_LMf9CF5P8NlmA

I see them available on Amazon, what does your compliance note from Amazon say?

here is Amazon’s choice:

I ask because I get stuff from Amazon saying that products are against some policy or another and I end up sending Amazon back links to products that they are telling me are against policy.

I havn’t seen a complete removal of a supplement in a long time on here.

user profile
Seller_sUfyk7ajzPzny

@ASV_Vites, may I ask if you can weigh in here with your usual pertinent advice?

user profile
Seller_TomCeqnvu6WUU

We also had a product go down yesterday for having NAC as an ingredient.

I just don’t understand why Amazon would only target specific products with this ingredient, and leave others untouched. Especially when Amazon is still able to sell their version of the product.

user profile
Seller_8heIxAf1mLwgp

Reading that ad made me get up off the chair and brew some green tea.

user profile
Seller_bWJDvYx2wtfAj

Supplement listings are getting hit extremely hard right now.

user profile
Seller_fGluy2Rns9Cfx

I’ve been told by an insider, that this is the FDA’s doing

user profile
Seller_PgTujaWEOtEnD

Here is what our amazon rep says about why straight NAC products are still on amazon, while multi-ingredient supplements containing NAC are being removed:

Essentially, to sell NAC on Amazon, NAC must be the only active ingredient. It cannot be included in a multi-vitamin or any supplement with other active ingredients. This violates Amazon’s Drugs & Drug Paraphernalia policy. Please see the below blurb which contains the exact FDA guidelines around NAC. The Restricted Products team is identifying and removing all ASINs which contain NAC plus additional active ingredients. Unfortunately, there are no appeal paths for this decision. Please take a look at the linked policy and the below statement and let me know if you have any questions.

Based on the product label, it appears that you intend to market your product, which contains N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC), as a dietary supplement. Your product cannot be a dietary supplement, because it does not meet the definition of dietary supplement under section 201(ff) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(ff)]. FDA has concluded that NAC products are excluded from the dietary supplement definition under section 201(ff)(3)(B)(i) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(ff)(3)(B)(i)]. Under this provision, if an article (such as NAC) has been approved as a new drug under section 505 of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 355], then products containing that article are outside the definition of a dietary supplement, unless before such approval that article was marketed as a dietary supplement or as a food. NAC was approved as a new drug under section 505 of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 355] on September 14, 1963. FDA is not aware of any evidence that NAC was marketed as a dietary supplement or as a food prior to that date.

user profile
Seller_AE7DG5jgcMHeh

Amazon removed our listing saying the same thing.

The problem is that our product is Glutathione and there is no NAC. We appeal and they answered again that NAC is not allowed.

There is more than 1,000 Glutathione selling on Amazon right now and they removed our listing saying that our product contain NAC.

I can’t understand.

user profile
Seller_mZlwS8hcPpVJQ

Same. We now have 14 listing suppressed - none of which have NAC in them.

Go to original post