user profile
Sign in
user profile

Is AMZN nerfing FBM in favor of FBA?

by Seller_LAhuiXJ4eMubd

So, guys, I have been doing SFP for many years now. I am competing directly with FBA sellers and sometimes with AMZN themselves.

In normal times, as long as I keep my prices competitive, I will win the buy box in my Prime region, The FBA sellers will win the buy box in the rest of the country, but I’m happy with just winning my Prime region.

Along comes COVID-19, and all of a sudden, I’m winning the buy box across the entire country. I’m sure some of you have experienced the same thing. Good times, yeah?

I’m sure FBA sellers were quite upset about this, and I’m sure they have all been complaining to anybody and everybody at AMZN who will listen.

Well, starting this afternoon the tides have turned and the FBA sellers are now winning the buy box everywhere, including my Prime region. My delivery date is 4 to 6 days sooner than theirs, my price is lower, my metrics flawless, no performance notifications, no return issues, Prime is active, and so on. I should at least be winning the buy box in my Prime region.

Is it possible that AMZN is giving the buy box to FBA sellers as a way to keep them from losing faith in the FBA concept? Even though it is providing an inferior buying experience to the customer?

Tags: Buy Box, Listings, Pricing
124 replies
124 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_BoHw6rmV7y9E8
In reply to: Seller_LAhuiXJ4eMubd's post

Very interested topic… I want to hear what others think about this. I will post my thoughts on this soon.

user profile
Seller_hA060q8nqygew

Is it possible that AMZN is giving the buy box to FBA sellers as a way to keep them from losing faith in the FBA concept?

Of course it’s possible. For that reason, or any other.

Even though it is providing an inferior buying experience to the customer?

Of course. The Buy Box is the LEAST fair thing I’ve ever come across. It’s nothing but control and manipulation and I wish they’d get rid of it entirely. Stop trying to make people’s decisions for them Amazon. Present all the options and let people decide for themselves. SHEESH.

To say I’m NOT a fan of the idiotic Buy Box is an understatement.

The Buy Box is not there to give the “Buyer” the best option. It’s there to give Amazon the best option (as they see it) for Amazon. And who gives a flying fig what’s good for the buyer? Certainly not Amazon.

Things have cycled back and forth since COVID started and they’ll cycle back and forth again. In normal times, Amazon promotes (ie shoves down the buyer’s throats) FBA offers, and once FBA couldn’t fulfill orders on time, Amazon had no good choice but to shift to promoting FBM’ers. Now that FBA is catching back up, they’re switching again. But they’re doing it selectively, so there’s still FBM opportunity to be had.

Although I have seen (and AMAZON if you’re listening - are you FREAKING KIDDING ME???) Amazon give themselves the Buy Box with a ‘Temporarily out of stock, order now and we’ll let you know when it’s available’ message over MY offer of an in-stock item that would arrive within a few days.

You think the Buy Box is anything but outright manipulation to benefit Amazon??? What a bunch of baloney.

user profile
Seller_hXiz9WEBcgZSC

What you haven’t told us is if anything changed in your account. Did your ODR change? Are your responses to messages longer lately? Do you have less inventory? Did your on time delivery change?

It could be you are not qualifying as much as you did. It could be those in FBA are qualifying more.

user profile
Seller_pcnJJe2H1q9BQ

it’s true about FBA warehouses catching up
First they started allowing some inventory in some categories to send shipping plans to warehouses. Now if you look at your fba inventory from ship dates they no longer have a 3-4 week window ( at least not mine anymore ) My items have a 9 day ship date, so slowly they are catching up.

I would think that Amazon Fresh and their groceries are slightly slowing as well, as supermarkets are now getting stocked. ( I’ve noticed this on my weekly shopping trips )

I also believe that the storage fees will return because they must be losing a ton of money on that angle. So they need to do something ( back promoting fba ) to justify bringing back those fees.

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

@OneandDunn, I think that @Caan was just asking troubleshooting questions–not declaring a philosophical stance in the FBA v FBM religious wars.

user profile
Seller_TppTYK3kKnzVZ

Funny!! SO we offer both FBA & FBM, since the breakout of COVid our FBM was crazy like never before and we were not sending stock to FBA because of the issues, since a couple days ago our FBM has slowed still steady but has dramatically slowed and now we are working on FBA again hey whatever works to make a buck

user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl

I didn’t know “nerf” could be a verb.

Learned something today.

Good, I can knock off now.

user profile
Seller_6we6JlLz0iF2P

Of course! They will never admit to it but of course they are. It only makes sense. But at the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it - if it’s happening on purpose or not.

Adapt and overcome, focus on other marketplaces and not amazon?

user profile
Seller_RxTyqBmpWLFi1

The FBM’s have fulfilled their purpose. Back to keeping those warehouse fees coming.

user profile
Seller_B7hrUtegN1lAL

Just try to look at the bigger picture, their algorithm affects millions of offers across many categories and products in addition to many sellers offers within, I would imagine its complex task to implement a logic that makes sense for everyone, They might be implementing a set of rules and code that may not make sense, but eventually with testing (which requires time) they will get their intended effect eventually and at that time it make sense.

FBA centers were so behind in the past few weeks so they try to favor FBM, when things are getting better and they are catching up, they are starting to restore the balance back. in between those transitions you will go through phases that don’t make sense.

Also, are you checking on a clean browser? with all cookies and cashes cleared?

Are you checking with a signed-in account? or guest account? with prime ? or without prime?

All these variables will show you different result, hope this makes sense!

Go to original post