user profile
Sign in
user profile

Important update regarding Auto Cancellation timeline

by News_Amazon

We would like to notify you about an upcoming policy change regarding auto cancellation for Merchant Fulfilled Network (MFN) orders.

Amazon automatically cancels orders if they have not been shipped and confirmed within 30 days of the estimated ship date (ESD).

To protect and improve the customer experience, starting September 30, 2020, Amazon will automatically cancel any order which is not shipped and confirmed within 7 business days after the “ship by” date detailed in the “Sold, ship now” notification email. You can set this date by modifying your Handle Time, but please be aware this date is part of the delivery time calculation displayed on the offer listing and checkout page.

What does this mean for my Cancel Rate?

Orders canceled automatically at the 'ship by' date + 7 business days will be counted as defects to your Cancellation Rate (CR), but will directly replace what would have previously counted as a defect to your Late Ship Rate. You can monitor both metrics in your Account Health dashboard. Policy requires sellers maintain a CR under 2.5% in order to prevent potential account deactivation. CR page can be viewed here.

As a reminder, canceling an order at the buyer’s request will not count as a defect towards your cancellation rate.

Tags: News and Announcements
100 replies
100 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_q5pVpgO59zuZp
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

I am fine with the change as we always ship on time. However, what about when I order something prime for next day delivery and it ships two weeks later from a Amazon warehouse? Do as I say not as I do? Amazon needs to also improve their own expectations as they do ours.

user profile
Seller_ro9xkiwwY4zne

As much as it pains me to agree with Amazon, I’ve always thought that 30-day deal was a bit crazy. Even for custom-made items, it seemed excessive.

But maybe others - who deal in custom-made or handmade or perhaps large-item scheduled deliveries - can chime in with a defense of the 30 days.

I’d really like to hear the other side of this.

user profile
Seller_ijm0iBen4odwh

Blockquote “As a reminder, canceling an order at the buyer’s request will not count as a defect towards your cancelation rate.”

Unless a customer chooses “received wrong item”, or “received damaged/defective” or “return policy inquiry” and even if it specifically says “I want to cancel this order”…

Very clear buyer’s request to cancel in my eyes, but not in the eyes of my ODR. It is most of my cancellation requests. It seems the only “order cancellation request” requests I get are for orders that have already shipped. Sometimes within the span of a few minutes they’ll run through every option except Buyer Cancellation Request.

No problems with the new auto-cancellation policy. All my issues are with the manual cancellation process.

user profile
Seller_iLsA4lGeaNWbg

I like this, actually.

We always ship on time, and are honest with customers on the rare occasions when we can’t fill an order due to an error or defect discovered during the packing process. Customers respect honesty and we’ve never gotten a bad feedback as a result.

However, but I’ve had several MF sellers over the years try to keep orders open when they didn’t have the product, and use the 30 days until auto cancellation as a way to bully me into a “Buyer Cancelled.” I hated waiting 30 days to force them to eat the negative ODR.

I’m sick and tired of lazy, unscrupulous, actors ruining the 3P experience for the rest of us.

Mick

user profile
Seller_iMEdibTTEFNhJ

We sell some large items that are shipped LTL and thus take a couple of days generally to be prepared and picked up. We have that set in our handling time and is in our shipping policies. However, as these are also generally high dollar items Amazon often leaves these in pending status for several days (due to financing or fraud check issues). The problem is Amazon’s timer starts when the customer submits the order. So often it says “shipment is late” as soon as it’s finally released from pending. So this now opens the potential to have an order canceled before it’s picked up by the carrier due to no fault of our own leaving us with a lost sale and a metric hit. I’m perfectly fine with the 7 days but it should start once the item is released to the vendor, not when it enters pending status.

user profile
Seller_oewHJOFDM7eyN

I have to chime in on when the clock starts as pending orders have been held up for weeks sometimes.
When the Order is in Ship Now status is when the clock should start not when the order is placed and pending starts.

user profile
Seller_jTjh2jXjnhBi8

I’m actually shocked that Amazon ever allowed sellers to ship 30 days late.

user profile
Seller_cjgfkkxgqXXMm

“Amazon will automatically cancel any order which is not shipped and confirmed within 7 business days after the “ship by” date detailed in the “Sold, ship now” notification email.”

@Amazon_News @Ricardo_Amazon

Can you please clarify this policy? Specifically the “shipped and confirmed within 7 business days” line. Sometimes we ship out packages and we have noticed that occasionally they aren’t scanned despite being given to the shipping carrier. When this happens, sometimes the packages are lost, eventually scanned & delivered and we very rarely we have even had customers claim they received their product despite the tracking never showing a scan. Sometimes the packages aren’t scanned until 7+ days after we give it to the shipping carrier.

Does this policy mean that if the package isn’t scanned by the shipping carrier, that it will automatically be cancelled despite us shipping it and giving it to the carrier? Or does confirmed just mean that a shipping label is purchased?

Thank you,

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

@Triple_R_Truck_Parts Pending order keep their original order date, but the ship by date changes to as if it was placed just that minute.

Since you are shipping some items LTL, are you using the Template for large and heavy items https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/G202188040

user profile
Seller_soWtRLc26XZka

Does Amazon these days define “business days” as Monday through Friday and not including holidays? And if a seller elects to include Saturday and/or Sunday in their operating days (under their own General Shipping Settings), are those days counted as business days as well, for that particular seller?

Go to original post