user profile
Sign in
user profile

Customers address says "NO Postal Service (ONLY FedEx or UPS)" but has to ship USPS

by Seller_jJwW8TcZFvvKf

This is a bizarre situation.

Customers address2 line says “NO Postal Service (ONLY FedEx or UPS)” but the item is a vinyl decal which I only ship via USPS first class letter with a stamp ($0.50).

I contacted amazon support and they said unless the buyer requests a cancel then I will be knocked on my cancellation rate. Buyer hasn’t responded in over 24 hours. There is no way of me tracking the shipment to show I tried shipping it to him because it uses a first class stamp.

I think it’s ridiculous for the customer to even not accept USPS and require all shippers to read their address, as most of us sellers ship, everything is automated. The only reason I caught this was because I have to manually do the vinyl decal orders a special way since they ship first class letter with stamp.

This seems like a lose lose situation. I know if I ship it on time with a stamp it will be returned to me and buyer will claim a “never received” against me. If I cancel without his request I get knocked for cancellation metric.

Any advice?

Tags: Cancelled order, FedEx, INR (item not received), Lost shipment, Shipping, UPS, USPS
130 replies
130 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_qz1y4XweLE9SO
In reply to: Seller_jJwW8TcZFvvKf's post

Sounds like you may have to ship via FedEx or UPS.
It will eat away at your profits, but you must complete the sale.
Best of luck!

user profile
Seller_imynePhfMNPeC

The customer did not pay for upgraded shipping. I would ship by US Post or cancel the order. Most likely just ship it by US Post. It’s up to the customer to provide an address deliverable by US Post.

user profile
Seller_QLvABVSEE6vGq

I would just cancel the order, you will take a hit but really how many orders do you expect to be cancelling for the hit to do any damage to your account…better to cancel than to ship usps, get an a-z for never received and have no proof, that hit will be much more damaging than a cancellation one.

user profile
Seller_aBe737BBNJ7vE

We’ve had a lot of customers (mostly in CA and AZ) that cannot get postal mail. We recommended adding “no USPS” in their address…similar to what your buyer did. We appreciate it because then we won’t get a returned order because they cannot get mail. There is another thread about this on the forum recently.

Fedex should NOT cost $20 for a decal. We can ship a 15 lb pkg across the country for less than that.

user profile
Seller_291MjCCZTPJ4a

Sure, I’d like everything I receive to be UPS, but unless I pay for it, I know I’m not going to get that level of service. Send it through the USPS–if it comes back issue a refund as address undeliverable. You are under no obligation to ship it UPS or FedEx unless they pay for such service.

user profile
Seller_AzQWWiLSSAUWj

I had one like that and shipped first class confirmed it was a small item and all was well customer responded same day and was ok hope yours responds

user profile
Seller_WQj6Zg0jH6DBA

Personally, in this case, I’d ship via First Class Parcel for <$3 postage. (Note: Make sure to make the envelop greater than 1/4 inch thick.)

Yes, it is a loss for a $4 sale but there will be tracking and purchased through Amazon buy-ship, an INR is covered. The loss by doing it this way is far less than the damage caused by a cancelation and you can be comfortable that you followed Amazon policy.

If there is any reason to present your side for an A-Z or charge-back (unlikely), merely provide tracking and ship/deliver dates along with “shipped to address provided on order”.

Putting a note on the address line is not the way for a buyer to communicate special needs.

user profile
Seller_SYKg3d22CoTKZ

I’d cancel his order saying you can’t meet his requirements. Apologize, and tell him to avoid your store.

user profile
Seller_aBe737BBNJ7vE

As an alternative, you could email the buyer stating that since they did not pay for expedited delivery which ships UPS/Fedex, this will ship USPS. If they do not want USPS shipping, they can request to cancel the order.

user profile
Seller_R2OjCZe42WmQp

It’s is normal for some addresses to not have USPS services, but in most cases, the customer have a PO Box set up…

Recommend the following:

Contact the customer via email (Under: Additional info needed)and ask for PO Box…

If the customer do not respond, cancel the order under reason: Address Undeliverable… will not count negatively towards you…

Go to original post