user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon is taking pictures of deliveries at front porch? This could help us

by Seller_ppwQYDJK9Qxbv

I just came across this interesting article:

{Content Removed}

I am just wondering if this could mean any hope for us (sellers)…? Are there changes coming that will help us to fight against buyer’s fraud and abuse?

It is not realistic for us to send every package with a signature on delivery. The profit margins have become so slim so many of us sellers just can’t afford it.

Buyers have already figured out that they just can make a claim for “Where’s my stuff” and they will get anything they want for FREE. BTW there are several Youtube videos teaching people how to do this type of fraud!!!

UPS and Fedex too… they should take pictures of every item delivered to the front door / porch when there is no signature.

Thanks for reading.

Edited to remove off site web link. Per forum guidelines, off site web links are prohibited.
-Glenn S.

Tags: Images, Listings, Video
152 replies
152 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_uPXKEZAdYjLr8
In reply to: Seller_ppwQYDJK9Qxbv's post

Amazon needs to just stop letting buyers claim multiple INR’s.
As a buyer, if your item is legit being stolen off your porch or out of your locked parcel locker more than once, you should find a new place to send your purchases. One theft per address/year/lifetime should be enough for the average buyer to figure out they need a new plan.

I don’t really know how the postman taking a photo of the buyers front door is going to help anything unless Amazon really believes that the thieves are the carriers delivery person or even less frequent, not delivering to the correct address. The item can still disappear after he leaves and an INR still be filed and won. My door has no number on it, my number is on the mailbox and even if you take a photo of my door and a number, who says it is my street or my house? Surely if I am trying to get free stuff I will say it is not my door.

I doubt this is going to work except for the honest buyer who is not the culprit in most of these claims anyway. Just like laws, the criminal does not abide nor care how many there are and the honest are not breaking them anyway.

user profile
Seller_hEK1BzjtMmufx

It won’t help most of us. A picture on the porch doesn’t mean it can’t be stolen afterwards.

user profile
Seller_mWZyJunCxCR84

Unless Amazon changes their policies and accepts porch pictures as absolute proof the customer got the package, they will still let customers claim INR. There is still the scenario of someone stealing the package from the front porch.

Scammers would soon figure it out and claim “not as described” or “wrong item sent” instead of INR.

user profile
Seller_aMHqH6794wbLy

This system is a real joke - it will not protect anyone.

user profile
Seller_ofOBVTQ7u4YSX

This is nothing new and won’t be offered for non-FBA deliveries. Neither UPS, Fedex, or USPS will take the time to take pictures for each delivery. It is something Amazon requires for Amazon Flex drivers (like Uber drivers for deliveries).

Even if it was available for merchant fulfilled deliveries, it will do nothing to protect sellers from INR claims that buying shipping services through Amazon doesn’t already do. Amazon doesn’t do it to prevent INR claims by buyers, they do it to try to make sure the contractors they hire through Amazon Flex actually go to each property and leave a package there. If they don’t snap a picture, they don’t get paid for the delivery. It is about keeping the drivers honest, not the buyers. It isn’t used by Amazon as evidence of delivery to the customer if there is an INR claim anymore than tracking that states an item was delivered is accepted as proof of delivery.

I have gotten pictures that are just closeup shots of a package on asphalt (or on top of a snow) that could have been taken at any driveway in my neighborhood or even a parking lot somewhere. The drivers will drive up (driving on the wrong side of the street so the driver’s door is facing my driveway), drop the package at the end of the driveway and take a picture without getting out of their cars. The pictures are useless in those cases.

Once a snowplow came through and buried a small package (a bubble envelope) left at the bottom of our driveway under a mound of dirty snow. Unfortunately my partner shoveled before I went looking for it and the package ended up tossed somewhere in the yard with the shoveled snow. It was a month or so later when the snow melted before the soggy envelope was found.

user profile
Seller_dxNiJ3wL98iWT

I posted this months ago

user profile
Seller_fY6dI71dCelqs

Amazon is taking pictures of deliveries at front porch? This could help us

Na, I don’t think so, unless maybe if there is a selfie taken with the carrier and buyer with box in hand smiling back and waving…I do not this will help.

Ex: a neighbor of mine, had the photo from Amazon showing the 2 boxes at his door step, (btw, he works for USPS) and well, they were stolen by the time he got home from his shift.

He had the alert it was delivered with photo, he was all excited.

He also had security cameras…well, a man we never saw before came on porch and stole them…shortly after delivery, thieves I guess, do follow the Amazon carriers . fun fun.

user profile
Seller_awYU0oH8skccg

So The Thieves Wait Till the Photographer is Gone…

Somehow This is all getting a Little NUTS

I Seriously Doubt AZ can “Take Over The World” by Leaving Stuff on The Porch…!

If So Future Houses will be built with a Separate “Drop Box” Big Enough to Hold Large Packages perhaps as large as a Refigerator…

user profile
Seller_Yvu9QfhV55nVu

The only delivery company that takes the pictures is amazon (tracking starts with TBA).
All these deliveries are for FBA, so we are not responsible for theft, wrong address, etc

user profile
Seller_WtOwWhtSrFjva

Amazon carriers have been doing this for some time now. It is the reason I knew where my delivery was when it was not on my porch. It was at a neighbors so I was able to retrieve my package. I think this is why Amazon wants to start its own delivery service replacing Postal Service and USPS. Send an email to jeff@amazon.com and encourage this practice.

Go to original post