user profile
Sign in
user profile

Regarding SAFE-T claims. When and how to use them

by Seller_4RRTjOpWG0qkj

It’s frustrating that Amazon doesn’t have resources in Seller University explaining SAFE-T claims. Almost as if they didn’t want sellers to use them… The only link that I’ve found on the dot com site is this one https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/G202109110 (which can be reached through the learn more link on the manage SAFE-T claims page)

Navigating through that page there are two more links that are of use. One for Seller Fulfilled Prime, and another for the regular Seller Fulfilled

SAFE-T stands for Seller Assurance For Ecommerce Transactions. I’ll start by saying that I have never done one, I’m not an expert on the topic, and I think it would be great for the forums if posters with experience improved the thread, or even better, wrote a guide on how to actually use the SAFE-Ts. Please note that as there isn’t much official information available, most of what I’m listing is from what I have read on the help pages of other marketplaces (India and Arab Emirates), and other threads in the forums. I have also added some information from articles not-written-by-Amazon, which I know it’s usually a big no-no. I think they are truthful enough, but who knows.

What are SAFE-T claims

SAFE-T claims are the avenue for sellers to receive reimbursements from returns, or logistic issues, that are out of the seller’s control, including returns that were damaged, missing parts, or the wrong item was returned. SAFE-T claims can only be issued after the buyer has been refunded from a refund process initiated by Amazon. Thanks to the “Returns at First Scan” most returns are refunded quickly, but if the refund is initiated by the seller, the SAFE-T will be denied.

SAFE-T claims can not be filed against orders that have not been refunded.
SAFE-T claims can not be opened for orders that have an existing AZ or chargeback claim.
SAFE-T claims can not be opened for orders that were lost by a carrier.
Reimbursements are limited to $5,000 per claim.
Resolution of SAFE-T claims is discretionary. Precedent of a successful SAFE-T claim does not guarantee that a similar SAFE-T claim will be won.

When to initiate a SAFE-T claims:

SAFE-T claims have to be filed 7 calendar (not business, calendar) days from the day the shipment was marked as returned to Seller, and within 30 days from the moment the refund was issued.

1. When a returned item is damaged or used
  2. When an item is lost
  3. For non-returnable items
  4. For items that were refunded by an Amazon initiated refund but were not returned
  5. When the warranties of an item have been voided
  6. When a return is not received

When not to initiate a SAFE-T claim:

1. Item was damaged because of poor packaging
  2. Fee related reimbursements
  3. When a refund is not initiated by Amazon but by the seller
  4. If an AZ or Chargeback Claim is already opened

How to file a SAFE-T claim

1. Order’s tab
  2. Manage SAFE-T claims
  3. File a SAFE-T claim
  4. Enter the Order ID
  5. Fill up the details
  6. Submit claim

Sellers that abuse SAFE-T claims can be penalized, penalizations are not limited to Account Health, but can also include blocking of the SAFE-T feature and recovery of reimbursed amounts. Recently Amazon announced the launch of SAFE-T Communication Center in Seller Central.
All safety claims are to be managed through this portal.

Tags: Refunds, SAFE-T
2.3K views
22 replies
22 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_rEOvI2TkODo8P
In reply to: Seller_4RRTjOpWG0qkj's post

Thank you so much. I just put in the claim.

user profile
Seller_4RRTjOpWG0qkj

@SELLC posted this excellent template for a Safe-t claim (here is the link for Sellc’s original post Safe-T Claim Assistance)

ISSUE:
(Buyer Name) Reason.

CLAIM AMOUNT : $xxx.xx

• RETURN SHIPPING: $xxx.xx
  • OUTWARD SHIPPING: $xxx.xx
  • 50% RESTOCKING FEE: $xxx.xx

PRODUCT:

• ORDER ID:
  • ASIN:
  • TITLE:
  • AMOUNT PAID:
  • OUTWARD SHIPPING PAID:

PURCHASE HISTORY:

• PRODUCT PURCHASE DATE:
  • PRODUCT SHIP DATE:
  • USPS OUTWARD TRACKING #:
  • PRODUCT DELIVERY DATE:
  • RETURN REQUEST DATE:
  • RETURN ARRIVAL DATE
  • AMAZON RETURN TRACKING #:
  • RMA:

RATIONAL:
Use bullet points to explain is plane language, facts only.

CONCLUSION:
Example : (buyer Name) clearly misrepresented her return. Although this is the first time (buyer name) has purchased from (your name), a review of his/her past returns may be show a pattern.

The Product was returned in New, Unopened condition. Please refund the Return Shipping Fee of $3.66, Outward Shipping Fee of $xxx.xx, and (%) Restocking fee of $xxx.xx.

ATTACHMENTS:

• Outward Shipping Photo Set
  • Returned Photo Set
  • Return Shipping Label with matching Tracking number stated above

Optional photos but very helpful-

• Copy of Amazon Drop Shipping Policy from Amazon News May 21, 2021 which clearly states when a seller is used to Drop Ship by another seller the seller doing the shipping IS NOT responsible for the return.
  • Copy of Amazon’s restocking fees which are displayed to the buyer.
user profile
Seller_VCAJFAqUZN0Y2

Thank you!

user profile
Seller_yYmMTCwJZOpvV

This is old but always a nice refresher. I hope more sellers use the claims its a tool when needed.

user profile
Seller_AN7y1CrDAvd9G

Just had a recent case:

Shipped out a toilet tank, the buyer received it and didnt fit so he returned it. Item was completely shattered when it came back. We decided we would wait until Amazon refunded the buyer so we can put in a safe-T claim. Instead, buyer opened an a-z claim and was fully refunded.

In this case: should we have refunded 50% to the buyer when the unit came damaged? We were worried he would respond with negative feedback or an A-Z claim anyway.

user profile
Seller_4RRTjOpWG0qkj

I was promised once by the Community Managers that Amazon would do a “Quick-Tips” on SAFE-T claims. Of course, they don’t talk to me anymore or even acknowledge my comments except to flag them…
I was also promised by a different Amazon team, unrelated to the forums, that they would add a video on Seller University…

At least there is an article on the help pages.
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/help/hub/reference/GPCE7EEUM5GJ5GD8
This is new-ish. I admit that I hadn’t seen it before, but I also hadn’t looked for it.
I’m happy that at least this one got done.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post