user profile
Sign in
user profile

Updates to the seller-fulfilled returns refund workflow

by News_Amazon

To deliver better returns experience for customers, we are updating the seller-fulfilled returns refund workflow. These updates will make it easier for you to process refunds and provide customers with visibility into the restocking fees you issue. The new refund workflow allows you to calculate both restocking and shipping fees in Seller Central. You will also be able to grade the condition of your returned items.

As a reminder, you cannot issue restocking fees for items returned within Amazon’s return policy in their original condition. No other changes have been made to the restocking fee or return shipping policies.

Guidelines for charging restocking fees are based on the item condition and product type. In cases where you would like to charge a restocking fee due to a damaged, missing, or a materially different return, you will be required to grade the return item. Restocking fees greater than or equal to 20% will require you to upload a photo of the item. We will use this information to supplement our abuse detection mechanisms and protect you from bad returns.

You are still required to issue a refund within two business days of receipt of a return. If you do not take action, Amazon may default the grading to “Sellable as New” and auto-refund the customer. You can file an appeal if Amazon authorized a return or refund on your behalf that you don’t believe should have been authorized.

To learn more about the new Refund Workflow, visit Issue refunds and concessions for seller-fulfilled orders.

Tags: News and Announcements
229 replies
Most helpful reply
user profile
Ale_Amazon
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Hello all,

Please see below for some clarification regarding recent changes to the Refund Workflow.

What are the changes that have been made to Sellers’ abilities to charge restocking
fees?

• Per the new Refund Policy, sellers are no longer able to charge restocking fees for returns made within Amazon’s return policy and in original condition. No other policy changes were made. Sellers are still able to charge restocking fees for items that are used, damaged/defective or are materially different. Sellers can also charge Restocking fees for out of policy returns, such as items returned outside of the established time-frame. Sellers will be required to grade the return in order to charge a restocking fee, and anything 20% or greater will require Sellers to upload a photo. To do this, Sellers can click on the ‘charge restocking fee’ link on the ‘Refund Workflow’.

Restocking fees
Restocking fees are charged by sellers when products returned by customers meet certain criteria.
The percentage related to restocking fees depends on the condition of the item.

Sellers cannot charge restocking fees when customers return items within the appropriate time window and in their original condition.

The percentage charged will depend on a variety of factors in the Refund Workflow, such as product category and condition. To charge a restocking fee, Sellers must grade the condition of the return for the 3 following categories:

1. Item
  2. Accessories
  3. Packaging

Sellers must upload images of the damages on all restocking fees charged that are greater than or equal to 20% of the item value.

Concessions
Sellers can offer concessions (partial refunds) to compensate Buyers and deliver a great customer experience. Concessions can be given to address order related issues due to a variety of reasons.

For example: If a buyer is disappointed in not receiving the color of item they expected but they are willing to keep the item, a seller may choose to make a monetary concession to the buyer.

Concessions are labeled as “Additional refunds” in the Refund Workflow. Please note we are working on improving functionality and will communicate any upcoming changes through Seller Central or the Amazon Seller Forums.

While we continue to strive for excellence, we welcome your feedback to improve your overall selling experience on our platform.

Jump to reply
229 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw

Just to tie this to another News Update on the same subject - Policy update: Updates to the seller-fulfilled returns refund workflow

As to the policy changes - Still not happy about this. We are not Amazon and it will only cause prices to increase on many items for lower volume sellers.

user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

I sell used items. Generally, that means that even if a buyer tried something out, its still going to be in virtually the same condition as when I shipped it out.

Due to this, I added a $7 shipping charge across the board on all 1,200 of my listings about 2 weeks ago. Sales have dropped around 60% since I have done this, but I don’t currently have time to reprice all my items.

user profile
Seller_Wvs1oHDUVPC6o

BlockquoteWe will use this information to supplement our abuse detection mechanisms and protect you from bad returns."

What a joke! No amazon, you are not protecting us from bad returns. You are making us sellers eat the costs for discretionary returns. Shame on you!

user profile
Seller_NRHYhtp2jy6EV

Has anyone seen the grading/photo functionality, while processing a return, yet?

I can’t tell if there’s an implementation issue or if Amazon did not clarify that the change applies to returns opened September 30th or later.

user profile
Seller_hA1xKKtH2t1ge

Can someone show me how to issue a PARTIAL refund, if I want to do a price match for a customer? I only see the option for a full return.

user profile
Seller_7XfqO3sjhqoU2

Remember that the USPS is also raising its prices during the Holiday season.

We may have to increase our prices on lower-margin products to just maintain our current profitability on this site. My hope is that offering the same higher-priced products here will drive customers to our Shopify store where we make a higher margin anyways.

user profile
Seller_64imDp2VLMoUG
user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

I haven’t seen the new return process yet, but in one of the above screenshots, there is a radio button we can click for “packaging”.

Does that mean we can mark the buyer down if we ship the item in a nice sturdy box, and they return it to us barely wrapped and in a thin bubble envelope?

user profile
Seller_Z7JaOy0rHswIo

This punishes buyers who know what they need.

We had to increase prices - sales volume is still good.

We’re in home improvement and “no longer needed: item doesn’t fit” is our top return reason.

We have line drawings so there’s no excuse to not know the item dims - prices had to go up - even for those who bother to measure and look at the item specs.

user profile
Seller_LwUhSN3kUAXlg
This post has been deleted
Go to original post