user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon account hacked and 300k stolen

by Seller_43IdFiu2rPpd4

Our Amazon seller account has been hacked and the hacker has changed the bank account details. Since then, a payment has been processed to his bank account outside of the country. His bank account was setup in Germany and the money was sent by Amazon to this account in Euros.

The transfer initiated on 10/14/2019 to the hackers checking account and hopefully can be reversed or recovered immediately.

Although we do have access to the account, the hacker’s bank account information is still in our seller account and we are unable to change this information because it requires us knowing his full bank account number to change it. Sales are still being made and more money will transfer to the hacker soon if Amazon does not help me change his bank account information.

We do use two-factor authentication so I am unsure how the hacker gained access to our account. I’m also unsure how he was able to change the bank account since Amazon now requires him to know your full bank account number to change it.

I have reached out to jeff@amazon, seller-performance, filed a case and talked to seller support on the phone but I am yet to receive responses. Anyone know any way to get his matter escalated?

Tags: Bank account, Payments
116 replies
116 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw
In reply to: Seller_43IdFiu2rPpd4's post

I recommend reading this excellent thread by a forum veteran - bunga_bunga:

user profile
Seller_tGfMnoKCaqTnA

Sorry to hear about that. Curious about something, do you use google voice or similar where text go to your computer? OR do you use seller central on your phone?

I wonder which of the two is compromised.

user profile
Seller_ToPPYvOWlyp9j

Why make more $$ for these crooks??

Since you still have access to the account, put your account on vacation immediately so no more items sold/cash transferring into a nefarious account. Might give you a day or so to install new devices before they realize what occurred.

user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw

Hopefully an Amazon employee is on this weekend and can help. I did message some on your behalf.

-Rob

user profile
Seller_M7XMRt9Y6homO

Given how many of these topics I’ve seen recently I really think Amazon should have some sort of policy where they have a waiting time or require account re-verification when the bank changes to a country different from where the account was originally setup.

Given how much paperwork is required for initial account setup, especially for out of country sellers, it really doesn’t make sense to me that someone could change your bank account to out of the country immediately and with no red flags to Amazon.

user profile
Seller_tGfMnoKCaqTnA

This problem is running rampant? Amazon now REQUIRES two stop EVERY time I login. This started about 2-3 days ago.

user profile
Seller_gme6aq8vLWpK4

If you look at your Seller Central, under Performance Tab, then Performance Notifications

do you see a message like this?

user profile
Seller_SWaeKdLiVXf6i

PCs are not always safe. Most are going to us a PC for more then just Amazon. We somehow picked up a virus on one of the PCs that were in network. The hacker then logged into our pc threw remote desktop and went to town. Saved passwords for paypal, amazon, cc and banking. Nothing was tripped as the connection was from OUR pc. We got lucky when they tried to transfer money from Wells Fargo via wire, it required 2 phase authentication to send and when it did it texted my cell phone. So got a message at 2am saying money was being sent. Went starting to office and there one of the pcs where just surfing along and getting everything they could.

Moral of the story

1. Do not save passwords to your pc, period.
  2. Set up 2 tier authentication that goes to your phone
  3. dont use your phone for banking ect, its crazy what people put on their phones
  4. Scan your network often and with a good AV.
  5. We also isntalled a router that is suppose to help with virus scanning.

FYI we pulled every signle PC hdd on the network and reloaded windows and started over. If hackers get onto your netowork they can get into 1 or all of the pc that are online.

Selling online since 1999 first time I ever saw that. Sadly it was a pretty impressive hack and brilliant if you think about it. On a happy note it took over a month but we got back every single dime they took

user profile
Seller_RxTyqBmpWLFi1

If my Amazon account was hacked of $300k, I wouldn’t be posting on here. I’d be in my attorney’s office filing suit against Amazon. You would most likely get a very quick answer from Amazon that way.

user profile
Seller_a3saSx48Xxrdz

Got hacked one and could not even access to my account. They should be able to reply within 24 hours. Let us know if they have not replied yet

Go to original post