user profile
Sign in
user profile

What is the impact when more sellers are selling the same products?

by Seller_7q8M2FHJBmSam

The competitions on Amazon is becoming vigorous. It seems to have a tendency that when a product is selling well, many and many people will come in to share the listing and sale, and followed by same product in different brands. In some cases, it can be more than 40 sellers selling the same item.

1. Do you think it is a good or bad to Amazon’s eco system? any risk sellers should foresee regarding this?
  2. Do you think Amazon will do something in future to regulate or control?
Tags: Listings
27 replies
27 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_3hIRLZLVYjQcO
In reply to: Seller_7q8M2FHJBmSam's post

I don’t believe Amazon will ever restrict the number of sellers who can sell the same product.

To reduce sellers would mean voluntarily restricting competition.

user profile
Seller_1I2CYF3S9l0vE

More sellers means prices go down.

user profile
Seller_2nbatedv2Ci8x

welcome to business its called competition part of being in business

user profile
Seller_R1YAVrsw1i63k

Impact?

Listing violations.
Game consoles that say “console only” or “game not included” or “no controller”

Listing violations.
Amazon staff that sends you the wrong email when you report a listing violation.

Lower sales.
Your listing which is accurate is now on page 2 or 3 because the “console only” listings are 1/2 the price you sell your complete console for.

Lower sales
new sellers like to have the lowest price, and will undersell just to make a sale. Then the auto-repricers drop prices until their item sells.

YMMV

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

This is how the Amazon platform is set up.

To make the situation worse, many sellers are private labeling, identical items and listing it as their own brand, which results in a multitude of basically identical items, but with different brand names, imprinted on the product and packaging. Amazon Brand Registry was a good idea for manufacturers, but it has become a zoo, for every white labeled product.

user profile
Seller_IzcPAaHw3N7Fx

What is the impact when more sellers are selling the same products?

More sellers then go on the forum and complain that 2 many sellers are selling the same product. Never ending story.

user profile
Seller_ggOhIsawGiDvA

Selling the same product as another seller mentioned, just drives pricing down. Its so easy to see when a seller is just trying to brand a product I can go on alibaba and get a sample for free minus shipping and buy in bulk. It’s not very creative but I guess it works for Amazon and some sellers. If you create your own product line that is unique you can set your price without this problem.

user profile
Seller_68PQ9LYMB9F4m

It causes a race to the bottom effect. Especially non FBA sellers drop the price to almost break even so they can win the buy box.Still i find regulating the number of sellers disturbing and goes against the whole idea of free market and competition. Many of us started as new sellers on a listing. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

user profile
Seller_uYxwdDUz42D5d

its all depends on your source of buying , the cheaper you buy the more profit you make , … you got the platform where to sell just find the profitable product and dont cry about competition , because competition will be always present on everything unless you are a manufacture or you have a direct contact with manufacturer and he or she sells their product to you only and allow you to sell his or her product you may be a winner … luck is involved in this matter .

user profile
Seller_4VTRqKjj8cY77

The main reason many sellers are selling the same item is because amazon is sending emails to sellers informing them what products are selling best and that’s when sellers begin listing items they wouldn’t have otherwise thought of until amazon sent them the emails looks like amazon is pitting seller against seller to get sellers to reduce prices to it lowest. on the bay its buyer against buyer whoever make the highest bid wins the product amazon is the opposite it seller against seller whoever has the lowest price wins the buy box

Go to original post