user profile
Sign in
user profile

Reminder: Provide product IDs (GTINs) for listings

by News_Amazon

For most product categories, you are required to provide a unique product identifier, known as a GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) such as UPC and EAN, to create new listings. GTINs are considered invalid if they are not GS1 vended or not recognized by the brand owner. To check for products with invalid GTINs, you need to visit Fix your product and provide the requested information immediately or your listings will be removed.

To fix the ASINs, use Contact us to submit a letter of authorization or a licensing agreement that meets the following criteria:

• Includes the name and address of the brand's rights owner
  • Legible: it is not too blurry and not too light or dark
  • Includes the manufacturer name and contact information
  • Includes the seller’s legal business name or the seller name that corresponds to your Account information page in Seller Central
  • Includes the seller’s physical address
  • Must be in English
  • Includes a GS1 certificate
    Note: We recommend that you obtain your GTINs directly from GS1 (and not from other third parties selling GTIN licenses) to ensure that the appropriate information is reflected in the GS1 database. For more information on licensing EANs or UPCs from GS1, refer to the GS1 website.

Products that are listed in the At risk listings section in the Fix your product page will be removed if the requested information is not provided by the due date. Products that are listed in the Inactive listings section will remain inactive unless the requested information is provided.

Contact Selling Partner Support or visit the Listing requirements: Product IDs (GTINs) Help page if you have concerns about your ASINs.

Tags: News and Announcements
5.9K views
72 replies
72 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_yNgdXE0b3BgwE
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Is it possible to change/correct the UPC of an existing product within amazon’s catalog, considering we have the proof (company’s GS1 certificate and affiliation between brand and company)?

user profile
Seller_dioaNrKTLuGqQ

We are distributors and most of the items we sell do not have UPC, EAN or GTIN numbers. However, we have permission from the manufacturers to sell their products on Amazon. How would we get around this? I have applied for exemptions a few times in the past, but didn’t get a response.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

@Redwing, @yenobek Do you still think that Amazon is okay with GTINs sourced from other than GS1?

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

Still? I’m reading through that thinking, OK, it looks like Amazon has changed the rules, but then I get to this part…

That clearly says that there are parties selling GTIN codes other than GS1, and that the GTIN must be reflected in the GS1 database, which as I have said, mine are.

I think that notice is more than a little self-contradictory, but I agree that your argument has gotten stronger. My feeling is that Amazon is trying to push the use of GS1 UPC harder, but they cannot just make it a rule since those UPCs are legally valid. However, we will soon see since I am not going to change my UPCs until I get a notification from Amazon that they are not valid.

I will let you know. Currently I have zero At Risk Listings in my Fix Your Product page.

user profile
Seller_ZjIPIF6rfvST6

Is the general consensus that one should convert listings to GS1 UPC codes? Even if the existing UPC codes are legally purchased through a vendor other than GS1?

user profile
Seller_oEw5wUNHgJxxP

@RedWing and @The_Sawle_Mill

Then there is the above statement. Emphasis added. So if the brand owner recognizes the GTIN (possibly a legacy UCC UPC) it is not invalid, even if not vended by GS1.

That said I have stayed out of this argument, and hope to continue to do so.

user profile
Seller_JSkKTxOgzk1ON

What about UPC’s purchased from the Bay? Those are still fine?

user profile
Seller_2sSWhvyZsq56v

We have 14, all say missing Unit Count & Unit Count Type.
However when you edit the listing these fields are filled in.
And even if you re-enter the values they never save or at least the system is not recognizing them.

There have been several posts about this. It actually requires amazon seller support to do something on the back end. So the system has a glitch that needs to be looked at. Because the at risk thing is just not working correctly.

user profile
Seller_Ypth0QFBEIwl5

I want to know How to confirm the UPC is recognized by the brand owner

user profile
Seller_4XYcmzYLGpFtO

What about the situations where products were listing using 3p reseller barcodes and later grin exemption was granted for the same category?
if amazon is to remove all the listings using 3p reseller barcodes that would mean disaster for million of sellers. Surely they should offer either to change upc’s to gs1 ones or any other workable solution. As we do know some reseller barcodes are legal to be used.

Go to original post