user profile
Sign in
user profile

Customer steals product via FBA by sending back different product, Amazon won't reimburse because THEY forgot the tracking ID slip

by Seller_D2qlf9nzwfVWl

This is getting so out of hand.

Customer orders a Spider-Man action figure from my store via FBA. Initiates return. Amazon deems it unsellable. It comes back to me. Lo and behold, Spider-Man isn't in the Spider-Man box, it's a cheap Star Wars figure! Classic case of 'figure swapping' that is very rampant right now.

I open a case to Amazon with the LPN number and photo evidence. But wait...

After multiple messages back and forth, they simply will not reimburse without a photo of the tracking ID slip.

But of course...they forgot to put the tracking ID slip in the box! This is actually not rare. I would say about 1 in every 10 removal order boxes I receive back DOES NOT have a tracking ID slip in the box. I actually don't even open cases for 99% of these sorts of returns because it isn't worth my time, even though it disgusts me to see so many customers stealing and getting away with it.

So now I get no reimbursement, but WORST OF ALL the customer gets away with theft with not even a ding on their account (if that is even a thing).

To top it all off, inside the removal order box was two other action figures where the accessories were stolen - I wasn't even planning on filing a case for those.

This is just getting completely out of hand the amount of abuse us sellers have to go through with cheating customers. Why can't we report customer abuse and be taken seriously? We have reached a point where customers know they can abuse the system over and over without repercussion, and they're conditioned to know they can do whatever they want.

Tags: Customer, Refunds
62 replies
62 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_JELEnXFOrnw4L
In reply to: Seller_D2qlf9nzwfVWl's post

When opening the case with amazon..

Provide a scan of the mailer the returned item was in.

All the needed information, like tracking, removal order id and shipping id can be found in the removal reports....just provide them

user profile
Seller_JELEnXFOrnw4L

Isn't this the shipping label???

Not the packing list

user profile
Seller_D2qlf9nzwfVWl
Show post
I need a physical picture of the tracking slip
user profile
Seller_Sram36TnVt73c

Just a heads-up:

1.) these scams are called 'switcheroos' by Amazon...refer to it as such when communicating with them.

2.) I have found the packing slip under one of the bottom box flaps in my returns...but I have also had returns without the packing slip. However, I don't know why they even need that info when you have the LPN etc. Well, maybe I DO know: it's to slow you down and make you jump through more pointless hoops in hopes you will go away.

3.) Make sure to report ABUSIVE BUYER

user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND

user profile
Seller_Sram36TnVt73c
Show post
1.) these scams are called 'switcheroos' by Amazon...refer to it as such when communicating with them.
This post has been updated by its author since it was quoted here.

Good info!!

It's always more effective if you can talk Amazonian when dealing with Amazon.

user profile
Seller_R0vmMYEpH1oRv

I literally had the EXACT same thing happen to me. A spiderman figure sold, probably the same as the one you sold, and customer returned and swapped out for a Star Wars figure with 5 accessories also kept and taken out of the package and not returned. I took a bunch of pictures after the 1st seller support call closed my case almost instantly and said take pictures then re-open a case. Luckily I was able to get credit for the sale but is Amazon is taking the hit and giving the buyer no penalty. Its really absurd they flat out allow theft with no repercussion so I don't expect it to stop. Just stay on top of it and keep calling seller support and escalating even though we shouldn't have to. No doubt these buyers are doing it multiple times and getting away with it. Also had a another customer recently return a remote control car with no original packaging at all without the remote. What good is a remote control car with no remote control to operate it?

user profile
Seller_2iARDra8P5cEx

We had a similar issue, customer returning products from another brand, Amazon support will simply totally ignore the case.

Same with abusive A to Z claims, Amazon putting returned used item in NEW sellable condition, etc...

Jeff Bezos said one day Amazon will bankrupt, it will come from this, all small sellers will die then only big companies will stay killing all competition and maintaining high prices, mark my words!

user profile
Seller_zFu1oCtz2mNgv

I also Faced this problem, now what can we do , Amazon didn't care about it

user profile
Seller_24FzucbyGtgZS

Standard operating procedure for Scamazon. You will notice that in addition to the refund Amazon charged you for processing returning money to the thief.

Another great reason NEVER to use FBA (or to put all your eggs into Amazon's basket).

user profile
Seller_qS4hi6SmsLLix

Trust me, it CAN be worse. Now imagine if Amazon employer thinks the wrong item sent back is in "sellable" condition and take the decision to put it back in stock. Amazon warehouse employers are not trained to check products properly. Next customer will purchase your spiderman and will receive star wars. Now you can get another return expense, another "defective" or "wrong item sent" in your report and most likely a bad review.

Amazon needs to find a solution for this, because this type of scam is becoming more and more common. Expensive items seems to be the target.

user profile
Seller_0rXAME9V4LQSx

I feel like if you are selling "collectible" toys you are probably targeted far more often than other products. Most of the companies producing these figures are pretty upfront in saying that if you buy it from amazon you are most likely not buying from an authorized seller. Makes people feel they can always report you as someone doing RA if you hassle them about their theft in the first place. Seems to be a lose-lose situation for these products.

Go to original post