user profile
Sign in
user profile

It's beginging to look a lot like the mother all retail arbitrage Christmases

by Seller_1I2CYF3S9l0vE

First there was the massive Toys R Us liquidation which is will flood Amazon the RA toys this Christmas. And now there’s this… Good luck honest sellers with actual wholesale accounts. You’re gonna need it. (yes that includes me too)

as reported by Marketwatch

"These Sears and Kmart stores will start liquidation sales as early as next week "

Sears Holdings Corp. has provided a list of 46 unprofitable stores, across 28 states, that it will close in November.

The number includes 33 Sears stores and 13 Kmart stores. The struggling department store chain said liquidation sales at the closing stores will begin as early as Aug. 30.

Shares SHLD, -0.90% bounced 0.9% in morning trade Friday, after slumping 5.9% on Thursday to close at a record low of $1.11. They have tumbled 39% this month and 89% this year. In comparison, the SPDR S&P Retail exchange-traded fund XRT, -1.10% has run up 15% year to date and the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.62% has gained 7.4%.

Earlier this summer, Sears provided an updated list of 78 Sears and Kmart stores that it said would close in September.

The company had originally said in May that it had identified 100 non-profitable stores, and that it would begin closing 72 of those stores in the coming months. At that time, Sears initially provided a list of 63 stores it would begin closing in early September, then updated that list in early June to 68 stores, then added 10 more stores to the list in late June that it said would begin closing in late September.

““We continue to evaluate our network of stores, which is a critical component to our integrated retail transformation, and will make further adjustments as needed,”’ the company said in a statement. '“We thank associates affected by these store closures for their many contributions to our company. Eligible associates will receive severance and will have the opportunity to apply for open positions at area Kmart or Sears stores.””

Here is the latest list of store closures:
Store Address City State
Sears Flagstaff Mall, 4800 N. US HWY 89 Flagstaff Arizona
Kmart 3625 East 18th St. Antioch California
Kmart 1075 Shaw Ave. Clovis California
Kmart 6310 W 3rd. St. Los Angeles California
Sears Capitola Mall, 4015 Capitola Rd. Santa Cruz California
Kmart 935 Sweetwater Rd. Spring Valley California
Sears 2424 Highway 6 and 50 Grand Junction Colorado
Kmart 589 Bridgeport Ave. Milford Connecticut
Kmart 301 College Sq. Newark Delaware
Sears 1625 NW 107th Ave. Doral/Miami Florida
Sears Coastland Ctr., 2000 9th St. N Naples Florida
Sears 2266 University Square Mall Tampa-University Florida
Sears 2860 Cumberland Mall Atlanta Georgia
Sears 100 Mall Blvd. Ste 300 Brunswick Georgia
Sears Oglethorpe Mall, 7810 Abercorn St. Savannah Georgia
Sears 1631 E Empire St. Bloomington Illinois
Kmart 3231 Chicago Rd. Steger Illinois
Sears 4201 Coldwater Rd. Fort Wayne Indiana
Sears 3000 Mall Rd. Florence Kentucky
Sears 1914 Hammond Square Dr. Hammond Louisiana
Sears 50 Holyoke St. Holyoke Massachusetts
Sears Silver City Galleria Taunton Massachusetts
Sears 1250 Jackson Xing 1-94 Jackson Michigan
Kmart 2308 Highway 45 N Columbus Mississippi
Kmart 11 South Kings HWY 61 Cape Girardeau Missouri
Sears 1500 South Willow St. Manchester New Hampshire
Sears 77 Rockingham Park Blvd. Salem New Hampshire
Sears 4409 Black Horse Pike Mays Landing New Jersey
Sears 1400 Union Tpke. New Hyde Park New York
Sears 578 Aviation Rd. Queensbury/Glen Falls New York
Kmart 605 Old Country Rd. Riverhead New York
Sears 200 Eastview Mall Victor New York
Sears 4601 Glenwood Ave. Raleigh-Crabtree North Carolina
Sears 9505 Colerain Ave. Cincinnati-Northgate Ohio
Sears 2700 Miamisburg Centerville Rd. Dayton Ohio
Kmart 440 NW Burnside Rd. Gresham Oregon
Sears 11800 SE 82nd Ave. Happy Valley/Portland Oregon
Sears Post Oak Mall College Station-Bryan Texas
Sears 400 Memorial City Way Houston-Memorial Texas
Sears 7453 S Plaza Center Dr. West Jordan Utah
Sears 12000 Fair Oaks Mall Fairfax Virginia
Sears 8800 NE Vancouver Mall Dr. Vancouver Washington
Kmart 101 Great Teays Blvd. Scott Depot West Virginia
Sears 4720 Golf Rd. Eau Claire Wisconsin
Sears Valley View Mall, 4200 US HWY 16 La Crosse Wisconsin
Kmart 2150 South Douglas HWY Gillette Wyoming
Sears Holdings

In Sears’ most recent public disclosure of Sears and Kmart stores counts, which was detailed in its quarterly 10-Q filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, there were 894 full-line and specialty retail stores in the U.S. as of May 5, 2018."

Tags: Listings
7.1K views
308 replies
308 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S
In reply to: Seller_1I2CYF3S9l0vE's post

And Orchard Hardware is also closing all stores by the first of February.
Discounts have already started.

user profile
Seller_bWU6w5XvXmIfs

Well, Amazon has recently made it almost impossible for new sellers to get approved in any category without having wholesale invoices from the manufacturer.

So people who decide to start selling on Amazon after buying store closure inventory will be very disappointed.

user profile
Seller_awYU0oH8skccg

Probably Stuck in Dying Malls with Better Shopping Options near by…there are some really sad Malls out there in flyovercountry…

I didn’t think AZ accepted Retail Arbitrage anymore…

user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw

This isn’t enough stores to even make a dent in Christmas sales on Amazon EVEN IF everything was bought by Amazon sellers.

Toys-R-US stuff … maaaaaaaaybe.

Overall I don’t see much of this stuff getting bought up by sellers wanting to hold it until Christmas to sell … if they even bought much to resell here.

user profile
Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0

Kmart does not have enough toys to matter.
Sears is not relevant in toys.

Because of how Amazon is now dealing with receipts and invoices, they are going to learn the hard way why retail arbitrage exists.

Hasbro and Mattel, who make the main toy lines are grossly unable to fill demand.

RA exists because of this.

Amazon will figure this out in February.

This is what happens over and over again with people who sit in offices who do not understand how the front lines work.

user profile
Seller_pE9TaMG8DieB2

They are correct Hasbro want invoices from wholesalers before some one can get approved for Hasbro ,Funko and other major brands.

user profile
Seller_a4rhXwuOvyyI4

No fun doing arbitrage. God bless those online stores. Don’t worry, everything works out in the end.

user profile
Seller_nKyeSPxRmseAq

All these closures mean for me is being able to make a much more substantial donation to toys for tots this year

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Shortages due to having blocked RA are expected and not viewed to be a problem.

The sites which welcome RA are no longer viewed as serious competition.

The benefits to this cheap way of blocking a significant amount of counterfeit product are highly valuable.

The benefits to not having overpriced merchandise which is in short supply are measurable.

By historical levels it is already too late to order hot toys from major suppliers for Christmas. I am old and have not been involved in toy buying for years, but orders for toys from heavy hitting sellers used to begin arriving in July on orders placed months earlier. Made possible by Net 180 dating on invoices to these stores. Anything worth a damn was fully committed before late August.

I do not think any points have been raised on this thread which Amazon has not considered. They could make mistakes in interpreting them, but my guess is that if they are incorrect is it going to be because the surviving B&M retail will exceed estimates.

And good business for B&M retail reduces RA opportunity.

user profile
Seller_GmPAtbz1xPDuo

I did not purchase any toys from Toys R us… Not worth the RA hassle

Go to original post