user profile
Sign in
user profile

You know -- it's pitiful when I have to go to Reddit to get answers

by Seller_wM0nLLkM8WJfx

Every thing about AMZ's "Help" is ridiculous. I have to go to reddit forums to get advice and help. For example, I don't want to do the 2-step verification because the code goes to my phone, which is in my purse tucked away and I have to get it everytime I'm sent a code.

So AMZ help tells me to get an authenticator - and of course reading through all the jumbled word salad words, I don't know what how or if I should get the authenticator. I even watched YOUTUBE videos and I don't know what the heck it does.

At the least AMZ should REcommend the authenticator brand name. So I'm off to Reddit to ask - which ones are you guys using?

Tags: Verification
25 replies
25 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_NbYSGJ8Tehgbv
In reply to: Seller_wM0nLLkM8WJfx's post

The one I use is called Google Authenticator. You still need your phone for the authenticator app.

Amazon help resources are horrendous but at least I know they are horrendous. This definitive label for Amazon help resources motivates me to find the answer myself.

I find Reddit answers to be deceptive. There is always some Reddit user that claims to know the answer to your question. Sure, there can be many times where they are correct. However, I have seen Amazon sellers trust Reddit users enough to hire them as virtual assistants, only to have them purchase inventory from retail stores and have the account become suspended without a path to reinstatement...and have the Reddit user suddenly disappear.

user profile
Seller_roNdLQpqbVoOH

user profile
Seller_wM0nLLkM8WJfx
Show post
2-step verification

I still don't know how this is applied across the selling community.

I have yet to be stopped by needing a code when I sign in.

user profile
Seller_OMYQjr7q0xJX1

I'd surmise that they 'can't' be in a position of recommending a particular brand.

I use Authy.

user profile
Seller_MpdYQceaCrnp7

Chat GPT is great too.

user profile
Seller_BeWo5Xt3t43rn

Until recently if AMAZON recognized your device (desktop computer running a specific browser) it let you login w/o two step verification.

It is concerning as I would like a remote method to put account on vacation mode if something happens to me or my business (earthquake, wild fire, airplane crashes into warehouse etc)

user profile
Seller_y7K2usRrDUAe8

I will answer this in a few sections and provide the answers you need.

1) Authenticator Recommendation: Amazon legally cannot recommend you an authenticator. Because if they did "recommend" you an authenticator, and this said authenticator is hacked (yes authenticator is hackable as of late, not just from social engineering attacks, but backup codes are being spoofed through a new exploit), they will be liable for it. So legally they won't recommend one for you to avoid the churn.

2) Authenticator type: some of the major and reputable authenticators include Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, and Okta Verify. Most of which (as far as I am aware), have desktop versions of the said app. So you can have it on both your phone AND your desktop computer for ease of access.

3) Why Authenticator is always required: SIM hijacking and cookie spoofing (or IP spoofing) are on the rise.

SIM hijacking - as the name indicates, hackers can clone your SIM cards (through various methods), and can hijack your text message/phone calls, which contain your authenticator codes.

Cookie Spoofing/IP Spoofing - very similar to SIM card hijacking but functions a bit differently. Essentially hackers can spoof your IP (or cookie), and if your computer already has a pre-established connection to the log-in server, they can bypass the log-in server verification altogether because (to the log-in server) it will appear you are logging in from your computer.

user profile
Seller_tA49ZfprDZiYK

1. You can turn it off.

BEFORE you sign in using your log in name and password try this.

"Under" the sign in tab you will find the following.

By continuing, you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use and Privacy Notice.

0 Keep me signed in.

The box BEFORE "Keep me signed in" needs to be checked.

That kills the need for any authenticator or any authentication.

You are welcome

user profile
Seller_nRFmxiQg4EGrw

user profile
Seller_tA49ZfprDZiYK
Show post

The box BEFORE "Keep me signed in" needs to be checked.

That kills the need for any authenticator or any authentication.

Perhaps that works for you. I still need OTP about once per day, even with that box checked. And it can happen in the middle of working on something, so not even just when I've shut down and started a new workday.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post