user profile
Sign in
user profile

Needing help determining the condition of a used book with black marker lines on title page and tail and top edges

by Seller_8HmnOA9UmNOE8

I’m a new book seller and I am not sure how to determine the condition of this particular book. The overall condition is good, but the top and tail edges have black marker reminder lines. The first page and top edge have been marked “Discarded” and the title page has black marker lines which I think could be a remainder too (not sure about this, since I’m new in this field). Would a book like this be considered good or just acceptable? Any help with this would be really appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!

Tags: Fulfillment center
46 replies
46 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_tyRte3Vi1BohA
In reply to: Seller_8HmnOA9UmNOE8's post

I would probably only consider it acceptable. You are always better off going lower in grading. It appears to be an ex-library book. There is a slight spine tilt and the title page also looks a little wavy, probably from crossing something out with sharpie. I looked at the hardcover page for this item on Amazon and it doesn’t even have a sales rank. I don’t think it would sell anytime soon. I would personally donate it.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

It is definitely no better than acceptable.

Why are you considering listing a book which is available in quantity on Amazon with offers as low as $3?

user profile
Seller_YZqZQFMixqA3B

This is not a book I would list on Amazon. Personally, I would just toss this book. Better yet, give it to Goodwill and let it rot on their shelves.

user profile
Seller_qz1y4XweLE9SO

I would not list this book on Amazon.
Maybe on another sales site.
CJ

user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl

I’ll add to the list . . .

Don’t list this on Amazon. The multitudinous library markings, general unattractiveness make this no better than Acceptable, and would only be worth listing if it were rare and had some sort of scholarly significance. It is instead quite common – nice copies are readily obtained.

user profile
Seller_ToPPYvOWlyp9j

DON’T LIST IT!!

As a newbie, we felt compelled, because of limited funds and in order to get our inventory numbers up, to list books we would never list now-including ex-library and remainders.(In my opinion, this is much worse than a dot remainder or the Simon Schuster Walking Man). We sold very few, ended deleting them couple years later. .

You’d do better giving it to a literacy program or a food bank-many have book shelves for their clients, give books away.

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_8HmnOA9UmNOE8

Thank you VERY much to each one of you for taking the time to read my post and share your opinions with me as expert sellers! Yes, papyrophilia, I got much more than I bargained for with my question today and I appreciate your encouraging words. Thank you so much!

I agree with you all and I will just donate this book. I only have one more question if you don’t mind me to ask:

Are those marker lines on the title page what is considered remainder lines? According to Amazon Condition Guidelines a book may be listed as “Used - Like New” even if it contain remainder marks on outside edges, which should be noted in listing comments, but (not that I’m considering to list this book at all, just trying to learn for future similar situations), what about remainder lines inside the book? (or there is not such a thing as remainder lines inside books?) I have been trying to find the answer to this question online unsuccessfully. Thanks a million in advance again for your precious assistance with this.

user profile
Seller_YZwgKNAjeXvXR

I think another good “rule-of-thumb” would be that any book with “discarded” stamped on it probably should be discarded permanently.

user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

The IOBA, a Trade Organization has a great page on remainders, the one I like most is a Simon & Schuster styli - man walking. Here are the first few or so you can Google it on your own… and if your business starts paying for itself and you become really serious you could apply to be a member. Won’t help you on Amazon… May help you other places…, and it never hurts to learn a little bit about the business you’re engaged in… if nothing else so, to make interesting conversation in post offices, coffee shops, and cocktail parties… You never know when your next dead person, and the relative is going to come by and needs a library removed, philosophically disposed of in an ethically, Green - way finding homes for all those Wayward books… it helps if you have a pickup truck and boxes on hand. Most people would just like to know that something good is happening with their stuff for their peace of mind.

Google this…

Although “remainders” – in the general sense of publishers’ unsold stock – have probably existed as long as there has been a publishing business, they became much more common in the US as a result of the 1979 Supreme Court Decision in Thor Power Tool Company versus the Internal Revenue Service. Although that decision was not specifically related to the book business, there was probably no industry in the US more affected by it than the publishing industry. This decision dramatically affected the ability of publishers to write-off their still in-stock but unsold inventory – and so in order to take the losses, the books had to be either destroyed or “remaindered” – that is, sold for a fraction of the original price.

Go to original post