user profile
Sign in
user profile

How does a product star rating work

by Seller_VGta8d1MQayJt

Hey folks, I've often wondered this and am feeling bold enough to ask about it today!

Imagine an item with 3x 5* reviews and 1x 3* Review.

In theory, that's an average of 4.5*

(5+5+5+3)/4 = 4.5

But on Amazon it never works this way.. I have a current listing with that exact scenario, but it reads as follows:

4.4 out of 5

4 global ratings

5* = 69%

3* = 31%

For reference, 2 reviewers left comments, 2 did not. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Does it have something to do with the fact that the scale is 1-5 instead of 0-5?

I know it may not seem significant.. I'm just genuinely curious as to if there is a rhyme or reason to why the numbers don't actually reflect the math.

Thanks for any insights that y'all might have, and I hope you all have a great week!

SDUSA

Tags: Product reviews
2 replies
2 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_0rXAME9V4LQSx
In reply to: Seller_VGta8d1MQayJt's post

I have always been told that amazon adjusts the number based on the more recent reviews versus older ones. However I have also heard that if you have negative reviews that get the "helpful" tag those count for more regardless of age.

Honestly amazon always has some hidden qualifier or formulas that makes everything more complicated than it has to be.

user profile
SEAmod
In reply to: Seller_VGta8d1MQayJt's post

Hello @Seller_VGta8d1MQayJt

This information is found on the help pages supporting our Amazon.com store website.

I am quoting the relevant help page below.

"Amazon calculates a product's star rating using machine-learned models instead of a simple average.

These models take into account factors such as how recent the rating or review is and verified purchase status. They use multiple criteria that establish the authenticity of the feedback. The system continues to learn and improve over time.

Note: We do not consider customer ratings without an Amazon Verified Purchase status in a product's overall star rating until a customer adds more details in the form of text, image, or video."

I hope this helps.

Susan

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post