user profile
Sign in
user profile

I Used to Love Amazon

by Seller_HRcJa1gdGHeov

I started selling on Amazon about 15 years ago and loved the platform. Both from a buying and selling standpoint, it was great; made a decent amount of $$ here selling and the products we bought were delivered fast and generally good quality.

Fast forward to today and I ABSOLUTELY HATE AMAZON. The toxic culture they have created for 3P sellers is abusive at best and outright right illegal at worst:

1. Suspected IP

2. High Price Errors

3. CPC Re-verification (well know massed produced toys).

4. FBA Storage Fees (need full time accountant to keep track).

5. Lost, stolen, Damaged FBA Inventory

6. Supply Chain Authentication (can anyone tell me what a valid wholesale invoice is to Amazon).

On top of it, the incompetent Seller Support and the inability to fix any of the above problems plus dozens more makes this place absurd. Suspension is literally a valid concern everyday, even for large accounts and even when you follow Amazon's ridiculous rules (there are many and they change often).

As I have stated before we try not to buy from Amazon, will not support this abusive platform. What will it take for this evil (maybe not the right word) company to be made accountable?? As of this morning Amazon has a $1.97 Trillion market cap, 3-4th largest company in the world, this is absurd; granted all of the other larger trillion $ companies are not great either, but Amazon and their behavior towards millions of small business 3P sellers is staggeringly bad.

At this point I see no way Amazon will change, they make too much $$ and appear to be rewarded for their bad behavior. I have opened dozens of cases, spoken with captive team members at length, emailed the leadership team multiple times, tried the moderators here, even called my AG and nothing (it is actually getting worse).

Generally curious as to what others feel it would take to end this nightmare? Also curious if anyone is happy with Amazon, forums are very negative right now, but there must be some (maybe?) that like Amazon?

Tags: Account Health
51 replies
51 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Stevie_Amazon
In reply to: Seller_HRcJa1gdGHeov's post

Greetings @Seller_HRcJa1gdGHeov,

I wanted to stop by and show my appreciation for your feedback. I am going to forward this information for consideration by the appropriate teams.

user profile
Seller_HRcJa1gdGHeov
Show post

1. Suspected IP

2. High Price Errors

3. CPC Re-verification (well know massed produced toys).

4. FBA Storage Fees (need full time accountant to keep track).

5. Lost, stolen, Damaged FBA Inventory

6. Supply Chain Authentication (can anyone tell me what a valid wholesale invoice is to Amazon).

The community and I want to support you here, so if you would like to provide any relevant case IDs, performance notifications, or e-mails that you have received, I will look over that information for you.

I look forward to supporting you,

Stevie.

user profile
Seller_vSgbw6pM8UDIn

spot on assessment of the current situation.

user profile
Seller_jq14BrqFG1Jsd

We have been selling on Amazon for ~5-years now and while we have been profitable over that time, we realized last year that the risk of suspension for some randomly minor thing (such as a bad customer review for either a product we did not sell them or was comingled with another seller's) is not something we want to rely on for our future growth. Additionally, we continually are frustrated with Amazon's policies that appear to not apply to them. For example, how can one's product / account be flagged with a high price error and then removed from the marketplace when the same item is sold by Amazon at a 30% higher price and at the average 180 / 365 day price? Why is their product not flagged and removed at the same time?

Another example is when we order from Amazon directly for other parts of our business and receive items with up to 6-labels on the packaging. When we sell items on Amazon, we would have to cover all but 1-label, and also provide our own. It may sound trivial, but based on Amazon's pricing, it would cost us about $3-4 to cover the labels, and saves Amazon $3-4 by not having to. No wonder we can't compete with Amazon on certain products, they simply do not comply with their own policies.

Our last example is more of an observation, how many times have we all received an item from Amazon late, damaged, incorrect or our favorite, the wrong quantity, either personally or for our businesses? If it was any 3rd party seller, they would run the risk of suspension and have their account deactivated. Has Amazon every been suspended? No, of course not.

We are sure other sellers have similar experiences and our point is just that based on what can only be called unfair trade practices, we have started to further diversify our business away from Amazon in an effort to ensure consistent revenue even in the event of some random account issue that requires considerable time / efforts to resolve with Seller Central. We would be more inclined to focus our efforts on Amazon if we all were on the same playing field using the same rules, but unfortunately as noted in many other posts across this forum, we are required to play by Amazon's rules of which rule 1 in many cases is "do as I say, not as I do". Until Amazon as a seller and Amazon as a marketplace are separated in which Amazon as a seller has to comply with all the same rules as the 3rd party sellers, we will continue to move away from Amazon.

Best.

user profile
Seller_A3hwgYzaUiGaE

I agree about the fees being too high. However, I don't want to work a 9-5 to survive. I make amazon work because I don't want to go back to a job! Haha.

user profile
Seller_O6YWkDReQ90FK

To illustrate how BAD Amazon has become, in June of 2020, I made over $1200 selling books only. It was only slightly lower than that in 2021. Fast forward to June 2024, I have made, so far, less than $150.00 in the entire month of June. Thanks to Amazon's idiotic policies, their price-fixing, and their listing suppressions. I have been moving to other bookselling sites that are way more professional, and they are slowly but steadily making better and better sales. I can't wait to finally say BYE BYE to Amazon.

user profile
Seller_IFRrkIcoHoGF8

SAME. VERY WELL SAID. ALL THE PEOPLE I KNOW THAT SELL ON AMAZON AGREE. THEY ALSO BEEN GOING THRU IT & THEY ALSO ARE 3RD PARTY SELLERS. I COULD WRITE A BOOK ABOUT ALL THE SCAMS AMAZON DOES TO 3RD PARTY SELLERS. IT WOULD BE A SCANDELOUS BOOK, IF I EVER DECIDED TO DO IT.

user profile
Seller_aNryBfYO3DTmL

It's going to take a real marketplace competitor or get to a point where the majority of 3p sellers can't financially make it before we see any change. I don't see any real sustainable competitor out there. The current state is probably as good as it's gonna get for a while.

user profile
Seller_TBS3wt1Auoij3

I feel you and I personally know people who have the same experience.

But why do you hire an accountant to track FBA fees? I gave up doing that and pay Amazon whatever they charge me. Figured it's cheaper and less headache to audit the charges.

user profile
Seller_1sZE5n9hympJR

100% agree. We started here in 2008 and loved the platform and loved the support! HUGE decline of that over the years turned that love into disgust.

We tried FBA, but had to pull out because of small issues that if an actual human could review, would be good to go in a matter of seconds.

Now we cannot even add or update products because of massive system issues within Amazon. We can spend weeks escalating, but the system just reverts back and creates problems again.

Everything would be much improved if Amazon had actual Seller Support to assist with all of the issues.

This is now the platform we focus the least on and it's the last to get a new product added to, if at all.

Even Customer Service on the buyer side is horrendous and we're the same way- avoid buying from Amazon as much as possible. I use it to find a product or read reviews, then search for the seller outside of here and buy direct, even if I have to pay a bit more.

What would it take to fix it? Leadership at Amazon that actually cared. There is no way they don't know how bad the system and "support/service" is.

We are making money- they are making money. It won't be 'fixed' until they're not.

user profile
Seller_aUbEyzlSSnsDJ

I wrote a post a while ago about this. Sucess is like a wave you ride it, as it gets bigger and bigger till your wave crests. Then is the time at the crest that you have to decide, do I ride till the end, or do I let my wave of an ego make me say I can beat the way. This can lead to you crashing down. Amazon has had its crest and has been defiantly of the mindset it can beat the way. This comes at the expense of us Sellers.

We do not concentrate on amazon for our success. As mentioned above amazon can crush your business with one e-mail. I am 71 and stared my first business at 22. Amazon is going to be around for a while, but they are in a slow-motion crash. The Chinese are attaching amazon with junk and Hack sellers. oh, and Temu is trying to eat amazons Lunch.

The forum is full of give me a case number. Sellers on the forum do not like amazon because it offers very little help. Like links that are not the best.

I do not hate amazon but in many ways amazon is inept. The bully on the block.

Go to original post