user profile
Sign in
user profile

Tax collection for orders shipped to District of Columbia or Nebraska State – Effective April 1, 2019

by News_Amazon

Based on changes to the District of Columbia and Nebraska State tax law, Amazon will begin calculating, collecting, and remitting sales and use tax for all orders shipped to customers in the District of Columbia or Nebraska on April 1, 2019.

Your existing tax calculation settings, order details, and payments reporting will update automatically to reflect Amazon’s responsibility. No action to your tax settings or seller account is required.

Answers to common questions are available in the Marketplace Tax Collection FAQ. Consider working with your tax advisor to determine any ongoing tax remittance and reporting obligations your business might have.

For more information, see Marketplace Tax Collection FAQ

For more information from Nebraska, click here

For more information from the District of Columbia, click here

Tags: News and Announcements
4.8K views
27 replies
27 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_oairaWZtaD0op
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Hi Amazon, Please do this for ALL the States that you collect taxes for us. Just collect it and pay it all so we don’t have to process returns in 20-30 States. Thanks!

user profile
Seller_Rflj09WxseMxy

Do it for California too, Save sellers from a big trouble. Secret: You will eventually will have to do it!

user profile
Seller_THDquAeGpsaLS

I’m confused. I thought we had to report our own? But Amazon does it? What simple detail am I missing? We are just getting into reporting from the start.

user profile
Seller_n1PeU0MNMxtqI

Please take it for all. Kentucky is after me - a state which has very little sales w/Amazon but lots of collection efforts.

user profile
Seller_kYmXlYC6nJAWy

The link posted by Amazon was not the final copy.
The correct link for the law that was passed by Nebraska is https://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/106/PDF/Slip/LB284.pdf.

user profile
Seller_dbZYTOVJWVUX3

Thank you.

For what it’s worth, could you do the same for Colorado? Compliance is a nightmare there.

Monetise it if you must but kudos either way if you decide to.

user profile
Seller_THDquAeGpsaLS

So on those states that Amazon is collecting and paying the tax for, how are they reporting on our behalf? Do they set up an account with the state in our name, or what? Does their reporting fall into the 3rd party and it is submitted in their account name?

user profile
Seller_kYmXlYC6nJAWy

In regards to MFT (Marketplace Facilitator Tax), at my last count, 19 other states have passed MFT laws that will become effective later this year, in 2020, or else have MFT bills pending.

It makes more sense for the states to go to MFT, as they only have to collect taxes from each market, rather than from each of the thousands or millions of sellers on each market. They can also collect sales tax on items from sellers who aren’t collecting and remitting sales tax that don’t meet the state’s threshold for individual sales, or from sellers that are not based in the US, who would not normally collect and remit sales tax. Some states do still require sellers to file a sales tax return, even if all of their sales tax was collected by a marketplace. You will mark it as $0 tax due, or that the sales tax was collected by a marketplace, depending on how that state wishes the form completed.

With the current trend, it does seem like most states (if not all) that charge sales tax will eventually go to MFT.

user profile
Seller_xuNiUdaGYf8sp

If Amazon collects, files and remits our taxes for NE, then why is TaxJar telling me I have Nexus there and my filing is due on April 22nd?

user profile
Seller_X5WsYxQEvinlm

By the end of the year, it will all be worked out where Amazon is collecting for all states. It is doubtful that any states will “go after” anyone unless they are very large. I don’t think you can retroactively charge taxes like California is threatening.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post