user profile
Sign in
user profile

Buyer returned wrong item on a seller-fulfilled order

by SEAmod

I am posting this information because I support this category and I am aware of problems some of you have had when processing refunds for wrong items returned by buyers. Please use the process outlined below and share your experience here.

If a buyer returns an item and it is not the item they purchased, immediately contact them and tell them you believe they made a mistake. Ask them if they would like the incorrect item returned to them, and let them know that they can return the correct item for a refund. In your communications to them via buyer seller message, be sure to attach a clear image of what you received from them.

Contacting the buyer is a crucial first step. It shows good customer service and positive intentions. It will support any appeal or claim you make later to defend your claim of switcheroo. Next, launch the partial refund workflow. Grade the item condition and upload images. You may take a 100% restocking fee.

The buyer may file an A-to-z claim. Defend the claim and reference the images you uploaded when you processed the refund and the message you sent the buyer.

Alternatively, Amazon may have refunded the order upon the carrier’s first scan of the return label. If so, file a SAFE-T claim. Seller Assurance for E-Commerce Transactions (SAFE-T) claims allow sellers using Prepaid Return Labels (PRL) in the seller-fulfilled network to appeal Amazon's decision to issue a refund to a customer.

Please share your feedback here! I like you and I want you to be successful selling on Amazon.

Best regards, Susan

Tags: A to Z Claims, Buyer messages, Refunds, Return shipment, SAFE-T
64 replies
64 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_CW0P5hgbsiqWX
In reply to: SEAmod's post

@SEAmod, that sounds like a scripted text presented at the 2023 Accelerate Conference. by Amazon's Buyer Abuse Prevention Team.

No offence, but that worked until RFS put a stop to it. working. With RFS, Amazon has already paid the scammer a full refund. Do you think the buyer is going to pay attention to an email after they have already been refunded?

The buyer doesn't need to file an A-Z Claim, he has already beet Amazon RFS program.

What needs to be done is one of two things.

1. Do away with RFS and let sellers put in place your words.

2. Create a standardized form for reporting buyer return scamming, and state paying full refunds to the seller who has been scammed.

user profile
Seller_C2NiEkAU4xTGT

What about when a buyer returns an item in very damaged condition and because of RFS, you can’t charge a restocking fee?

Then you go back and forth with the SAFE-T claim “people”, only to finally get a pittance of a credit back on an expensive book that you can’t sell again because it has splattered stains all over it.

It’s really pitiful how Amazon treats third party sellers.

user profile
Seller_5xUDjRTyrAgVB

We just had a plastic bag of garbage sent back to us. Safe T claims keeps denying the claim. Should we email the buyer asking if they accidentally sent us a plastic bag of garbage back? Maybe they made a mistake and didnt totally con us?

user profile
Seller_6SF7oGpp2tmYv

This just happen to me on an FBM order. I contacted the customer and let them know if they would like the wrong item back please send a shipping label, and they did. I repackaged and shipped it out using their label and later they returned the correct item back to me.

user profile
Seller_fLvvZO4xNMu0D

What if we keep getting denied by being requested to provide NON-DIGITAL FILES on Safe-T Claim. Meanwhile, all the allowed picture/photo's formats are DIGITAL? WHAT A CONFLICT

By the way, whoever/AI is taking care of the cases on Safe-T Claim never told us WHICH FILE IS NON-DIGITAL FILE and keep saying that we are not provide any additional information.

user profile
Seller_hWNFOM4zkbej8

I had a customer purchase a $1000 Breville Barista Pro from me. They returned to me a old, used, very damaged item. Not even the same model I sent them. I took pictures, sent them a message, started the Safe-T claim. Should have been a easy no brainer for me to get my money back, right??

Nope, I was denied. Did the appeal and denied again

user profile
Seller_Sram36TnVt73c

Grade the item condition and upload images. You may take a 100% restocking fee.

And then Amazon will give it back to them when they complain.

user profile
SEAmod

Hi @Seller_Sram36TnVt73c

What is the Order number. I will see about an escalation if you provide that information for me.

Thanks, Susan

user profile
Seller_Sram36TnVt73c
Show post

Nope, I was denied. Did the appeal and denied again

And that's all it took to make you go away and give up on $1,000?

user profile
Seller_ITSm6TMeixAhB

I applaud your efforts Susan .. best of luck with them.

Btw .. I am both a buyer (since 1999) and a seller (FBM) on Amazon (books only) and I have to point something out that I've noticed specifically in the last 1 to 2 years as a buyer. I am literally returning almost every second order due to defective shipping practices from various FCs.

My most recent return was last weekend (2 hair products/liquid that cost $100) were sent out in a too large box with zero protection. They leaked all over the interior of the too large box. I returned them immediately via Staples and requested they be resent but only if they were packaged properly. They are en route and time will tell if if they too have any issues. Staples took each item and put them into bags that could be sealed for their return to Amazon, something that should have been done on the outbound side.

Another example was last December when a 15 pound kettle weight was shipped with a hardcover .. both were gifts .. neither were packed with protective packaging and one was totally destroyed. I have to wonder where is the logic and common sense when it comes to shipping certain items via FCs.

The worst consistently tho' is buying softcover books that are shipped via FCs. Zero protection makes a new books "instantly used". This consistency (lack of quality control) is new to me with Amazon in the last several years. It's as if no one cares .. I mean how could anyone ship items without added protection. I get the plastic issue .. but those of us who ship as 3P sellers use quality alternatives that can be easily recycled. Why can't the FCs?

Thanks for making the effort .. KJ @Seller_ITSm6TMeixAhB

user profile
Seller_BvWbKPdVkSXdc

Thank you Susan, for at least trying to help with this recurring issue. We've had several of these switcheroos, and the first scenario you presented (contacting the customer and charging a 100% restocking fee) worked well for three of them.

However for the other ones, when the RFS kicks in, it's been impossible to win the full amount of the Safe-T claim. In each instance we've been refunded a very small percentage of the cost of the (essentially) stolen item. We've even tried to refine our claim process based on advice found here in the forum. For example, we now include several pictures, including side-by-side pictures of the original item and the materially different returned item. Because we usually get the standard "invalid/insufficient evidence" response, can you provide any other specific advice as to what evidence the Safe-T claim review requires? What exactly are they looking for?

Go to original post