user profile
Sign in
user profile

Tax Nexus

by Seller_Wqy0XCysMRH9w

As I get started with FBA, we are obviously shipping goods to Amazon that I own until they are sold. Typically you have to file taxes in the state you own inventory.

Can I direct my goods to a specific DC where I am already filing taxes?

Tags: Taxes
18 replies
18 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_X9AxWaXfNnGAl
In reply to: Seller_Wqy0XCysMRH9w's post

NO.

Amazon chooses where they want the inventory. That is one of the key reasons why the inventory nexus is disputed. Typically, you will have a physical presence in locations where you have an agreement to rent space in a warehouse. That is different for Amazon where they manage the inventory locations as a service in the interest in optimising their reach to customers and their costs. Since you do not have anything that you control related to the locations and have no specific agreement and allocation for any location and no ability to prioritise or avoid any locations, this is something that many agree is not a taxable nexus.

That will never be fully decided without more extensive legal action.

Dave

user profile
Seller_oEw5wUNHgJxxP

For a unrelated reason to the tax issue we investigated where our stock was in the Amazon Fulfillment Centers. We found that we had items in 99 different warehouses throughout the country in most of the states of the union.

We typically send our regular size items to two locations, our oversize items to three locations. That is not where they end up.

user profile
Seller_cIIdgKwVd6QF7

No. Nothing has changed. You are only required to collect and remit Sales Tax in states where YOU maintain a physical presence.

Amazon’s FBA warehouse locations are irrelevant.

Not unless you are enrolled in the Preferred Placement Service. It’s a pilot program, and is by invitation only.

Funky

user profile
Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0

Just run your business normally.

Amazon is going to end up collecting sales tax in all the states that have it.

The only rules you should follow are the ones for physical Nexus.

Where you send them is irrelevant.

user profile
Seller_cIIdgKwVd6QF7

I repeat:

No. Nothing has changed. You are only required to collect and remit Sales Tax in states where YOU maintain a physical presence.

Amazon’s FBA warehouse locations are irrelevant.

Funky

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post