user profile
Sign in
user profile

Quick Tips From Amazon - Variations

by QuickTips_Amazon

Variations

Definition: This post covers how to make updates to Variations on detail pages. Variations refer to a set of items that are the same product, but differ according to a consistent theme, for example size and color. Sellers can reference the following video and FAQ to create and make updates to Variations: Variation Relationship FAQ

Variating ASINs:

Variation Wizard allows sellers to add or update existing variation families and to create a new variation family. The Variation Wizard is located in Seller Central under Menu > Inventory > Manage Inventory > click Add Variation on the right-hand side. To create a new Variation Family, generate a category template with the Product Classifier. Then Upload your Inventory File and monitor your upload status.

Un-Variating ASINs:

If you accidentally Variate ASINs together, use the Split Product Detail Page Self Service Tool to remove the variation.

Why are my Variations breaking?

To troubleshoot Variations breaking, leverage this, Determine Variations for your Product, and then contact seller support if there is not a resolution. Common issues that break variations are listed below:

• Are the products the same brand, product type, and category?
  • Do the products vary only in a few, specific ways that do not alter the core essence and nature of the item (such as color or size)?
  • Does the variation attribute contain more than one product characteristic?
  • Did you add the appropriate variation value to the product title?

Note: When multiple sellers sell the same product through a single detail page, Amazon combines and presents the best product data to ensure customers get the best experience. This suggests that others sellers can change variation families. If you believe a bad actor has manipulated a variation family, such as by adding an invalid product or removing a valid product, contact seller support.

Why Variations are helpful:

Variations help to curate an easier and comprehensive customer experience. If products are variated, all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page, it can help to drive glance views, and ensure customers have the right information to make a purchase decision.

Tip: Variation updates can take up to 2 hours to reflect on the product page. When deleting a Child ASIN from a variation, it can take up to 24 hours. If variation updates do not appear on the detail page after that duration, contact seller support.

Helpful Links & Resources:

Variation Relationship FAQ – additional helpful links on the left hand side of this page

Broken Variation Reasons

Parent – Child Relationships

Add a Product to Create Variations

Tags: ASIN, Listings
15 replies
15 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_oEw5wUNHgJxxP
In reply to: QuickTips_Amazon's post

We have noticed recently that a catalog pages product reviews are being split. This on long time brand listings that had the reviews combined, sometimes for years. What is the solution to getting back to, “all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page” thank you in advance.

user profile
Seller_KnxmmlmoJ7HS6

Great, just great. No mention of the policy that for multi-packs, variation has to be a manufacturer created multi-pack.

I guess I will be seeing many invalid variations again this week to deal with

Would also like an explanation as to why upc’s for variations do not have to be GS1 and match product. This would hep prevent many invalid variations from being created.

user profile
Seller_hA060q8nqygew

I am always astonished at how Amazon thinks they are making things ‘easier’.

Variations help to curate an easier and comprehensive customer experience. If products are variated, all product reviews for a variation family are shown on the product page, it can help to drive glance views, and ensure customers have the right information to make a purchase decision.

… help to drive “glance views”. Seriously? Glance views??
… curate an “easier and comprehensive” experience. I’ve never once said to myself, gee, I wish my experience could be more comprehensive. I wish someone would curate that for me. Can’t Amazon just speak English? Plain old, everyday, understood-by-everybody English? Small words. Simple thoughts.

… If products are variated
…To troubleshoot Variations breaking, leverage this… Leverage?? Apparently, you didn’t take the same business writing class that I did. Don’t use big or fancy words when small or simple ones will do. All that does is make you look like a show-off, and confuses half your audience. When attempting to give written help, confusing your audience is BAD.

Variation Wizard allows sellers to add or update existing variation families and to create a new variation family.

I’m pretty good with variations, but always create them manually. I’ve never understood how the Variation Wizard helps you create variations. I use it to identify the parent of a particular variation family, but that’s all.

To create a new Variation Family, generate a category template with the Product Classifier.

Or just create one manually. WAY easier, IMO.

If you accidentally Variate ASINs together

Please stop using “variate” as a verb. To delete a child, simply open the parent for editing, choose the child, and click delete. Easy peasy.

user profile
Seller_oahPyJgVEZB9P

Variations are one of the most complex things in Amazon.

The problem is: If I accidentally made a mistake, it’s most likely irreversible. Fine, open a help ticket. The seller support nowadays (unlike 7 years ago) usually doesn’t have a clue. Usually they end up deleting the ASIN including the reviews. It’s just disaster.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post