user profile
Sign in
user profile

How do you keep your sanity with the constant deceit from customers? Serious question

by Seller_qa3jEvxx9StPs

The reason for this return was, “Item Arrived too Late” (For use) Delivered on December 17th, 2022, (two days earlier than the delivery window) Returned back to us on December 27th, 2022.

We have received so many returns of “Wrong item sent” Comments: Too small or Too Large. One customer admitted in messages that she didn’t want to pay return shipping which is why she chose that return reason.

Do you just report and move on?

Bazon9|375x500

Tags: Customer
83 replies
83 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND
In reply to: Seller_qa3jEvxx9StPs's post

The sad thing is you can only charge up to 50% restocking fee depending on the return reason, and if the order was auto refunded and you need to go the Safe-T claim route, you’ll likely get less.

user profile
Seller_OJugQx1QkgTYg
In reply to: Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND's post

I figured out how to head off RFS at the pass. So easy, a caveman could do it.

user profile
Seller_qa3jEvxx9StPs
In reply to: Seller_tcwwJM3S0wBFE's post

Yes, I did that right away.

user profile
Seller_qa3jEvxx9StPs
In reply to: Seller_aqZm7fMnypw3E's post

I couldn’t agree more!

user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND
In reply to: Seller_OJugQx1QkgTYg's post

There are a couple of workarounds;
do you want to share what you discovered or prefer to stay

user profile
Seller_OJugQx1QkgTYg

Too many Bezos sonderkommando moderators. You can always ask one of my employees. Her name is Dorothy and she never gets excited. We call her QuincyDepot’s Calm Dot!

user profile
Seller_CyGI7lF1437gx

I would eat the costs of the returns fee and chalk up for cost of doing business.

user profile
Seller_w8m4nQaxodhfk

I go the extra mile and report a violation with these types of returns. And I still get people fighting with me saying that they made a mistake but still want to return the item.

user profile
Seller_hUlctDeDydaO0

It’s better to move on to another e-commerce platform such as Mercari or Poshmark. 3 days return window. In 3 days you should know whether you like it nor not, whether it fits or not, whether you want it or not. Period. Amazon is a far cry from what it used to be. Will never sell anything valuable on Amazon as buyers only destroy the items and return them, or scam the Seller.

user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND
In reply to: Seller_w8m4nQaxodhfk's post

I think there are customers that will intentionally try to return the wrong item hoping to get away with it.
If a seller doesn’t know the correct steps to take, then the customer will get away with it. Amazon is very specific on how things need to be handled, and if not followed, the seller, unfortunately, ends up losing.

Policy says to give the customer “the benefit of the doubt” and not to accuse them, if they say they made a mistake, they can still return the correct item (within the return window) for a refund.

Even if you do report them, it’s hard to prove because it’s your word against theirs unless there is actual evidence of intentional wrongdoing. If they are repeat offenders, it will at least add another strike to their Amazon.com Account, and with enough strikes, their Returns and maybe even their buying privileges will be revoked.

user profile
Seller_sUfyk7ajzPzny

It is always interesting to see where a Freudian slip crops up…

user profile
Seller_aV1Bh32hE0KND
In reply to: Seller_sUfyk7ajzPzny's post

Thanks for keeping me in check, as I recall it’s not the first time I’ve done that, maybe it’s just my brain thinking…it should be sellers who are believed over customers…

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Avoid products which you do not have enough profit margin to absorb the losses.

Price high enough that you can absorb the losses each month without bringing your profits to an unacceptable level.

This means not all products you sell are suitable for sale on this site. And if you have too few products to make this site worth the effort - either find more products with appropriate margins and returns rate or find another venue.

Amazon is what it is, and no amount of seller unhappiness leads to big changes. You find a way to thrive or you find another strategy.

A couple of shots of bourbon at appropriate times helps as well.

user profile
Seller_bD1cHkftXnubO

We have removed about 2/3 of listings (auto parts) because it too difficult for people to read the even the title of the listing. Let alone the whole listing.

Plus, now, with more people assuming they can fix a late model BMW V8 engine, since when they were a teenager they changed the oil in a '72 Plymouth Duster in their driveway.

Amazon with it’s not specific enough fitment and generous return policy is not the bet online sales site for us.

user profile
Seller_fsNHBXJZNVJpE

These things always make me incredibly grateful for my buyers, where in 20+ years, I have only seen enough fraud to count it on one hand. but I think this is something that comes with selling general merchandise. When you deal with EVERYONE out there, you get the good and the bad equally. I bet people that sell expensive golf clubs or other specialized products are much less likely to see fraud. Much more defined/refined customer base

user profile
Seller_ajHyeBL0zyQLt

user profile
Seller_FEAZ5IyS4d7xP

We take photos of every item we ship out with the packing slip / order information clearly visible with the product.

This is “materially” different than what you sent. They returned previously owned used for new. I’d fight this one.

Go to original post