user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon shipping charges for sellers

by Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL

I have been selling on Amazon for many many years. I usually have to pay some of the shipping charges myself, as Amazon does not calculate shipping realistically. However, after selling a medium size Pyrex bowl, I have had it with Amazon. They charged the buyer $5.99, I sent the package, well wrapped, to Wyoming, from NYC, via USPS and it cost me $19.50! I asked Amazon refund me some of the shipping charges but only received ridiculous replies and no money. Not a good way to sell anymore. And let’s not talk about their commission of $4.50 for a $5.00 book!.

Tags: INR (item not received), Shipping, USPS
20 replies
20 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_IbjYU9n7CG1TG
In reply to: Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL's post

Amazon assumes that the seller knows how much it will cost to ship their product and will price accordingly.

I’m with you, though, on the increased commissions. I’ve moved a lot of my book inventory to ebay as a result.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

It sounds like you are an individual seller. The $5.99 shipping charged to the buyer is a concession and not expect to cover actual shipping. You should never offer anything for sale without doing due diligence. You must know what your worst case shipping costs are going to be.

user profile
Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL

Thanks. But the market determines the price. Amazon should not charge $5.99 for a heavy item when it knows the weight and the distance the item has to travel.

user profile
Seller_RWourPtfeowSN

I don’t understand. Don’t you set the price of the items you sell? And doesn’t Amazon FBA tell you in advance how much the shipping, packing and fees will be? I am a new seller, so have patience with me if I don’t understand how FBA works.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Did you compare the shipping cost to UPS or FEDEX Ground?

Often priority mail arrives faster but costs more.

user profile
Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL

You can’t adjust your price for $14.00. The market won’t support that higher price Amazon should charge accurate or realistic shipping charges. Simple as that.

user profile
Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL

I don’t need a lecture. I sell all the time on Facebook and Craigslist. People do pay $25 for an item and $20 for the shipping. End of discussion.

user profile
Seller_LvDTEfq6IRFGL

Not sure what or where you sell, but people on ebay, FB and Craigslist understand the difference between a shipping charge and an item charge. The item has to be reasonably priced and market rate. Shipping charges are determined solely on weight and distance. Enough said.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post