user profile
Sign in
user profile

Now available: Same-day handling time as default setting

by News_Amazon

On March 31, 2022, we launched same-day handling time for your account. You will now be able to configure your selling account for same-day handling time as the default setting. This will shorten the delivery date shown to customers when they purchase products and will increase the likelihood of a purchase.

Setting same-day handling time will require you to ship and confirm all orders received before the cut-off hour within the same day. For orders received after the cut-off hour, you will have the next business day to handle these orders.

Note: the default cut-off hour is 2 p.m. local time but can be edited in shipping settings.

We found that, on average, US seller-set handling times are 53% longer than the actual time taken to prepare and ship products. Many of you may already ship on the same day they receive orders without the benefit of showing it to customers and getting additional sales. Now you can see this benefit by configuring your account to same-day handling time!

Switching your account to same-day handling time will move your default handling to same-day, but you can still set ASIN-specific handling time for ASINs that take longer to pack & ship. ASIN-specific handling time will override the account level handling time for that product, while allowing the majority of a your products to showcase a faster delivery promise. To learn more about ASIN specific handling time, go to Modify handling time.

Go to Same-day handling time help page to learn more.

Go to Choose your default handling time to set same-day handling time.

Tags: News and Announcements
1.1K views
16 replies
16 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_rU0QE1vS9M85P
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

As things stand now, it is advantageous for many sellers to under-promise and over-deliver on shipping and handling times, as there is no penalty for doing so.

If Amazon has the data to calculate that “US seller-set handling times are 53% longer than the actual time taken to prepare and ship products,” then Amazon should be setting customer expectations based on each seller’s historical performance on a per-product basis.

It is not impossible to imagine such a system where sellers ship at their preferred pace, and Amazon automatically calculates and displays estimated delivery dates to customers based on how the seller has performed in the recent past, also integrating data points such as which shipping method the seller is likely to use based on past domestic and international orders.

user profile
Seller_uYKRFNCCZzkjD

I guess if we are already doing this they will switch us to this just like the 1 day default. I’m good with the one day until the winter months but I will never agree to try same day. It is way too risky.

user profile
Seller_44Euo3TGvL6EZ

So at noon a buyer makes a purchase expecting same day handling, order stays pending for three hours.
I already know Amazon would provide no recourse to the seller in case of an unhappy customer…

user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

Unfortunately, ups picks up between 12:30 and 5pm, and the cutoff at the post office is about 2pm.

I cannot set the cutoff any earlier than 2pm.

Orders before noon probably go out the same day, by 1pm may go out the same day, depending on how much prep work, and orders up to 1:50 may go out, if I can find the item right away and are really easy to pack (a cable, an unopened item, or other items not needing cleaning or extra wrapping).

The odds of an order coming in at 1:30, can’t find it, battery needs charging, and needs cleaning is just too high

user profile
Seller_hA060q8nqygew

On March 31, 2022, we launched same-day handling time for your account.

This is another pointless and “misleading” (ie dishonest) piece of SPIN by Amazon.

They did not “launch” same-day handling in March of this year. GEEZ. Same day handling has been available to Pro sellers on their shipping templates for a long time.

The only thing Amazon did do is add the option here -

Amazon can’t seem to make a fully truthful announcement to save their digital lives.

Same-day handling is not new. Being able to set Same Day handling through the ‘Choose Default Handling Time’ is new, but accomplishes nothing that setting it through the shipping template settings doesn’t.

The only difference is that you click a radio button on the General Settings page vs clicking a checkbox inside your Shipping Template .

Stop being deceptive Amazon. Simply announce that you have put the option in a new location. That’s ALL you did.

That are slight differences, in that a ‘handling time’ setting change can take up to 24 hours to take full effect (ignore where Amazon says it takes 30 minutes, that’s also not true) while changing it via shipping template takes roughly 5 hours.

If you maintain multiple Shipping templates, it may be a convenience to change all of them to Same Day handling all at once, rather than adjusting the Same Day setting on each individually.

Sadly, in their announcement, Amazon doesn’t address in any way the actual implications of the change they made.

Just be honest Amazon… why can’t you just be honest???

user profile
Seller_9HLdIWjoBYt3z

Why is the shipping cut off for same day shipping 2:00 pm? If shipping cut offs are at 2:00 pm it means we can’t even start doing our last round of shipping until 2:30 pm in case there are pending orders. Depending on how many orders that come through, that could mean we aren’t even done with shipping until 3:30 pm and our shipping carriers come to do their final pick-ups anywhere between 1:30-3:30 pm.

I feel like if they allowed us to set our own cut-off times, it would make it so much easier to be able to participate in this.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

May I demonstrate why we don’t even when we can and do ship out same day?

We get this

Because of

All it takes is a handful of those around a holiday and you’re dangerously close to dropping below Amazon’s 97% threshold for On-time Delivery. Amazon says, we don’t punish you for this, but we know that can change, if we aren’t already getting dinged for it.

user profile
Seller_ogiFSWy9mSRCJ

I'm a new seller and it seems that Amazon has made this (Same-Day Shipping) my default for Standard Shipping. I selected 2-Day Handing Time in the Handling Time menu, but under General Fulfillment Settings it says "0-day handling time (with standard shipping)" and lets me set the time for that. I set it to 1 AM since I would like that to NOT happen, but this seems like it is forcing me to do a 0-day handling time on any shipping template's Standard Shipping?

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post