user profile
Sign in
user profile

Relocating Office & Warehouse to New State

by Seller_R8FId61ok7iK5

Hey Everyone,

Our business has been a long time seller (since 2012) on Amazon but never had to face this situation. Right now our business is registered in one state with a physical location.

We are looking to relocate to a space in a different state. Our current state does not allow you to domesticate your corporation, i.e. just change the address and keep everything else the same.

From what I have been reading on the forums and blogs, the only way to do this would be to do a merger - i.e.. start a new corporation in new state and then "Buy" the current corporation. This seems like an easy thing to do on paper, but my concerns are with the Amazon requirements.

How would this change work in Seller Central? We would need to update the business legal entity, EIN, and business address, as well as the bank account (not certain).

Would this trigger anything on Amazon's side?

Someone recommended we register as an Foreign entity with the new State and just add the new warehouse as a shipping location. This would mean our business address would be different than our legal entity address and Official Registered Address.

Has anyone had to do something like this and what was your experience?

I'm just trying to avoid a deactivation and interruption of business due to technicalities in the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: Address, Seller Central, Tax documents, Verification
6 replies
6 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_kIukTwdhvntAp
In reply to: Seller_R8FId61ok7iK5's post

You are asking bar tenders to do brain surgery.

Hire a freaking attorney so you don't screw everything up and potentially cause yourself legal liability.

Don't forget to inform your insurance carrier of the change and hope your premium doesn't go through the roof due to different costs in the new location!

user profile
Seller_crHiR57kkteUT

We moved from California to Texas a couple of years ago and had similar concerns. I thought we would lose our EIN based on what I found on Google. However, I hired an attorney and they knew what to do. I was able to keep my EIN and they helped me file all the paperwork. Like the other commenter mentioned, you should hire an attorney.

user profile
Seller_bgmcNFSQ8G693

From experience moving an LLC within the same state:

States have different rules for transferring a business. Typically you would need to dissolve the business in one state, and re-apply in the new state. But it varies by each state.

Your EIN is your federal tax id, you would need to contact the Federal government about updating your address. This information is given to you when you register an EIN.

You would need to contact the government. You could also take a look at northwest agent, they have some decent help files.

When we have moved (within the same state) we have only updated ship from address and return address on Amazon until our new address is officially transferred over with our EIN. Amazon will hold funds until you verify your new location, and possibly suspend you if you cannot verify it.

So ensure your EIN and State Licenses are all updated to the new address before you change anything account related on Amazon.

This is not legal advice. Contact an Attorney

**Not responsible if you f anything up

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post